Off topic.....Pilings

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

DRIFTER31

Off topic.....Pilings

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Opinions wanted.....For a boat that weighs 15000lbs
I have a slip on side of my covered dock and the pilings are 12in diameter and sunk in the La. mud/clay to about 12 ft with a piledriver.They are spaced 12ft apart. I am thinking of putting a lift up but am concerned the weight of the boat may cause the two pilings that hold the dock up will start to sink. Anyone have experience here?
Thanks Troy Lafitte La
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Troy,
If you look up IMM boat lifts, I believe (there are a few manufactures) , they have a schematic drawing of piling placement based on weight on their web-site (or used to). I looked at their stuff when I did my lift a couple of years ago and was suprised at how few pilings are needed to hold the weight. As I recall, only 4 for 20,000 lbs.
I'd be glad to help you further if you cannot locate info as I am pleased with the way my lift turned out. You made me think of Dave Kosh as he helped me years ago.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Troy,

You shouldn't have any worry there... You'll be adding two more pilings outboard so your load per piling will only be about 3,500 lbs.

Br,

Patrick
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

But, it depends on your mud/clay. I have a friend who had his whole boathouse start to sink after he put in a boatlift that was tied into the dock structure. His were 30+ feet down too!! Do not attach the boat lift to the existing dock pilings! Make them separate and then if they sink a little it won't cause dock problems. Also make the pilings longer than spec'ed!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31