underwater lights

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

underwater lights

Post by Capt. DQ »

Anybody had any dealin's with Sea Vision by Underwaterlights USA?
There in Ft. Lauderdale, I guess I'll visit them at the boat show.
DQ
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

We've installed the aqualights and had good luck in several applications. Go online to www.aqualights.org. Less money then the underwater lights, good warranty. I've tried for over a year to work a program with underwater lights to purchase at a distributor level. We do between 15 and 20 lights per year, they don't react. Very OEM oriented no aftermarket sales effort.
Aqualights however has been very helpful and easy to deal with. You can purchase off the web at very aggressive pricing.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Dug

Post by Dug »

JP,

What is the most common size you see installed in a B31, and what is the cost per light to buy them?

Thanks,

Dug
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Be carefull Dug, one more thing to break when you once again run stuff over...................
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Your one to talk Tim,
If I recall, the Tubb seems to like to push the bottom aroud a little as well. When are we gonna cut the top off of that thing?

Chiles
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

I blow stuff up, kathi runs it aground(almost not her fault as she was well withing the channel, and not going that fast..... ok she was on the pins, and the tubb still wasn't going over displacement speed)

What works for you?? We'll get Big doug up and the proff(well maybe not as he's just want to over analize the project, and he's kinda scared of power tools)
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

I'm almost afraid to ask who Big Doug is.
Regards,

Doug L.
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Well, everyone is bigger then Timmy. He is one of those vertically challenged folks. They only person he can't call "big" is Kathy, and for good reason. She would kick is .....

Chiles
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Dug,
If your going to use only 1 I'd go with the 50X @ $990.00 through the website.

I plan on using 3 of the 50H versions (less light but in more places). One out the transom just above the drain plug and two out the bottom outboard of the struts. This should get rid of the gaffing shadows for night fishing.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

JP,

You were right about underwater lights, D***...! they want 2 legs & both arms for there lights & will not deal at all. Are you'all using more of halogen - Xenon or Metal Halide Ltgs. in your applications. I have seen the Metal Halide work on a New G & S 50' and worked great, but a little much for a B31 I think. I'm thinking (2) of the Xenon 35 or the Halogen 75w.

DQ
Dug

Post by Dug »

Timmy,

If that were to break due to that, I might think I would have bigger issues...

JP,

I was thinking of two on the transom, and one on the starboard side at some point for the gaffing...

And likely not this year...unfortunately...

Just got off the phone with the insurance company and things are progressing there, but it may be a bit of work.

D
TailhookTom

One on the starboard?

Post by TailhookTom »

What if the fish is on the port?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Some of the bulbs are mucho$$$ to replace
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

DQ,
The installs have been mostly with the Xenon series 35/50. Its a nice color light and produces the most brilliance for the dollars. These are retrofit into mid 30 to low 40 foot applications. I like the compact size of the bronze versus going to the 100 and larger lights.
For what little light we need on the B31 I'm going with the halogen 50 or 75. If it doesn't work well enough the housings are the same and I can replace the guts to upgrade to Xenon.
The boat comes out on Monday to begin teak decks and engine beds. Probably throw the lights in during the spring. If you guys want maybe we put a big order together run it through
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Dug

Post by Dug »

JP, lets talk when you get closer. It is looking like in addition to the repairs, I may have other bottom work to do, and that may take precedence this year for the cash.

But it is very tempting to talk about it! Lets see what the numbers are.

Tom,

We typically bring the fish up on the starboard side. But I hear ya.

Dug
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Doug33, it's Crowther. he's like 6'15" or something.

Chiles, Your the only guy who I know thats taller than me, when your laying on your back. And thats was verified by the guy that custom makes your pants, omar the tent maker.

JP, so budgetary they are around 1k per unit?? I saw them on Toms 38 at oaks bluff(the part I rember) looked good. kathi wants to get them for the tubb as part of the xtreem makeover. I was thinking 3 on the transom(14'beam) and 2 up both sides, but 5k for lights is probably a bit more than I want to pony up.
thuddddddddd
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Timmy,
You can get em as cheap as a $125 per. I think the ones I'm looking at are are $400 ea. With the lights on the bottom it gives the boat that cool ghetto ride glow. (insert heavy rap music here)
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Timmy,

They have hand held flash lights if that will work for yuh? but you have to use energizer bunnies to hold them for yuh around the gunnels, that will pony it down some. I hear those are real good but as for attracting fish, who knows .
Just a thought!
DQ
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Timmy,
I'm taller then a lot of people when laying on my back, but that's just the way it is for a well endowed guy. Omar appreciates the business, and I like the extra room in the crotch.

Capt. DQ,
Timmy likes the hand held things, He's been operating that way since he was about 10, and about as technical as he can get.

Chiles
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Chiles, if thats what you belive, all the more power to you. I guess it's good to go thru life being out of touch with reality.

JP, do they make them that will change colors, like Toms top lights?
400 sounds like a number I could live with.

Capt DQ the wabbit thing won't work. To many blood thirsty guys show up on the tubb-- the proff, Big red, andre, those guys like to shoot stuff that moves, and while that wouldn't be a problem for the tubb(moving) them blasting at wth wabbit might make a bit more of a mess than I'd want to clean up.
buzzk

keeping lenses clean

Post by buzzk »

Obviously marine growth on the lense is going to block the light and during the summer the growth grows so fast how often do you have to clean the lense? What do you use to clean the lense without scratching them up? Thanks Buzz
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Buzz,

Maybe take a couple of minutes with your deck brush over the side on the back transom to brush off if you have growth. Really no big deal and your not going to harm the lens at all.
But if you like to fish at night, it makes a difference of how much bait & fish it attracts to your boat or just hanging with friends at the dock or anchored up with other boats, where ever its really neat for the affect it produces.

DQ
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I have Underwater lightning's 35 W Xenon and yes it was pricey but what a difference using it over the glare of spreader lights and the bait fish can be easily dip netted because there are no shadows we mainly set them up for offshore tuna chunking but they are deadly on stripers at the dock.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

JP,

When were you talking about wanting to run a order thru for aqualights. I want to go with (2) 35w xenon for me. We can get a count to see who wants in and how much better of a quanity price break that they will do for us.

Regards,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

It will be a mid winter order if that makes sense. I'm thinking March before I splash to get the lights. I think Dug was contemplating them and I don't know if Timmy wants in or what condition the tub is in.
Let me know if this will work for.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

what was the guessed $$. Plan is to probably get the tubb as far along as possible then toss it back in and finish over the following 2 winters
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Timmy,
Straight off the website:
35H 550 Lumens 121.50
50H 900 Lumens 292.00
75H 1250 Lumens 337.50
AL35X 3600 Lumens 675.00
AL50X 5400 Lumens 990.00

H= Halogen
X= Xenon

I can probably hand deliver to Timmy and Dug, DQ I'd have to ship to you, no biggee got plenty of boxes and a Fed Ex account. Let's get some numbers together and see if we can save on a bulk order.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

so would you suggest the 50's or the 75's? I'm thinking 3 accross the back 2 up each side.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

They need to be a specific depth under water (they use the surrounding water to cool the bulbs) If you can keep them 12" deep all the way around you'd probably be OK with the 50's.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

let me know when the order is going in.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

JP,

Let me know when you decided to order. I'll probably order three lights and will make the decision on halogen or xenon once we know when we're going to order.

I'll send you a private message with my private e-mail and phone number so you can get a hold of me when you're ready to order.

Thanks,

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

JP,

I'm going to change to the AL75H, need to save some pennies on my project of redoing everything, don't you think we need to make this order happen before new year price increase or if they are at the Lauderdale boat show, make it happen there?

Just Thinking,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The distributor pricing is pretty aggressive I don't think there is a need for the boat show thing. Let's get a total number from the guys that want them.
What I'll do is contact the folks and see if there is an intended price increase as we move into Jan. I personally would like to hold off till then but if it looks like there's going to be a jump then we'll go for it.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Alrighty, everybody who wants in on underwater lights? post yourself and quanity you want so JP can get you counted in on the order to see where we stand.
Timmy, here you go!, you can get one up on some of them with your underwater lights ....

Regards,
Doug

(2)- AL75H for me
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Hal

Post by Hal »

Can you post a link to the site so I can read up on what they're offering?

I would appreciate it. Also, 2 coming off the transom are enough to seriously light up the area. I'll post the specifics of what they've got on the 45 when I get it.
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

I guess I want 7.
thudddddd
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hal,

Scroll back on this thread to the second post under Jp and click on the aqualights link, then go to underlights. Pick out what you want for order to get in on the group order for some savings. If your are talking about what Bodious has on the 45 bertram is probaly the 150w metal halide ltgs. just like the Miss Babbie has on the G&S 50.

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Last Call,
If anyone wants in let me know.
Here's how its gonna work.
Once pricing is established everyone who wants will get a PM from me with a number. Send me a check for that number. Once checks are in we make the order.
Those I can deliver I will. Those that have to get shipped I'll ship.
No check, no light.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Hyena Love

Lights

Post by Hyena Love »

I am interested in two or three AL50X's.

Question is price. Whats it going to cost me?

Thanks.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

JP,

Put me down for 2 AL50H in the name of Patrick Hancock. He's standing by to send you a chashier's check.

Br,

Patrick
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hyena Love,

Scroll back a couple of post on this page to see what JP posted on prices, the price maybe better depending on the quanity break JP gets on lights.

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
JCreech

Post by JCreech »

I'm interested in one of the 35X depending on the final price. Hal go with the Xenon's I'll call you and discuss.
JK

Post by JK »

Need to learn about the lighting options out there but I might be interested. Across the stern of a 31 how many lights...I would think 2?

--JK
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

As of Friday I will take no more requests for lights. If your shopping please don't bother. All prices are listed in the threads above. Worst case scenario we pay that. Anything we can save will be spread through the group I pay what you pay for the same product.
Currently here is what I have:

Dug 3 75H
JP 3 75H
Thuddd 7 75H
DQ 2 75H
Pat H 2 50H
JohnV8r 3 75H
Hyena 2 50X*
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

JP,

I just want to thank you again for your efforts in coordinating a group purchase for us.

We certainly all appreciate it.

Sincerely,

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built