Is this real???

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Is this real???

Post by Harry Babb »

A friend sent this to me......I'v had Dophins all around the boat but nothing even close to what you will see on this clip....

I have no idea where the clip was shot........hopefully you guys may recognize the background

Harry

[img][img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/chip51maker/th_DolphinStmped.jpg[/img][/img]
hb
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

We've seen ten times that at the Tropic Star. Acres of them. As far as you could see.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Harry,

Although I haven't seen as large of a school, I've seen them working together like that balling bait, and other pods (or sub-groups of the same pod) would charge in and join the feast. Pretty spectacular.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

My dive buds and I were in the Gulf of Mexico one day and several dophins gathered around the boat for a while.

After a while they left.........I beat my fist on the outside of the boat and they came back......

A couple of guys went over and actually got some pretty cool video.

I think there were about 10 dophin

As a child I went to the Florida theater in the summer on Wednesday morning. For a Golden Flake potatoe chip bag and an RC bottle cap you could get in to the theater for a talent show followed by FLIPPER show................those were the days

Harry
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tastes like Tuna.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

We were definitely in that many at Tropic Star on two occasions that I remember. We had lines out and amazingly (to me) not one bait was taken. Walter
randall

Post by randall »

mike...what about atlantis....there were a lot there too. it is amazing they arent fooled by the bait.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

They can see the hooks in the bait with their sonar.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

brewster you are the best to think all these years even with " hoo".i could never figure hoe they come into the spread and then leave without touching even live bait.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

um... hate to say it... but I don't think so. Sonar is just like radar: you send out wave energy, it bounces off the object and back to the sender (in this case a dolphin) and the detectiion of the returned wave energy is how you know something's there. It isn't xray vision, it doesn't see through objects or even go through objects. If it did it go through obejcts, it wouldn't work at all. There's just no way a dolphin could detect a hook inside a bait using sonar.

I know- then what about my sonar finder, right? The sonar finder on your boat knows hard bottom from soft bottom by listening for "signal noise" on the return wave signal. The results are very far from being completely accurate, despite whatever the manual says. But the sonar waves are not actually penetrating anything except for clean water. They have to bouce back, or it doesn't work.

Maybe they can see the line
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I wold think the bounce back from a hard metal hook would be different than the bounceback from a live or dead fish.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Yes a hook would sound a little different than a fish. However a fish with a hook inside it would still sound like a fish.

I've hooked dolphins before, inshore fishing with live bait. They're not all that brilliant
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

In 2007 at Tropic Star we had a big knock down and Dave Kiesel was up....fish jumping away from the boat, mate and capt. hollering 'mar-leen, mar-leen'......Kiesel pumps, winds and lo and behold a huge porpose jumps about 50' off our port beam with the hook and live bait firmly in his mouth...he was solid circle hooked. I told the mate to put him in the boat for photos.....he looked at me then the half ton porpose, then back at me with those dish plate eyes....."Unky Veeeeeek...you loco, loco......" We cut the hapless flipper off. The same day we had several others come in our live bait stread and kill the baits for sport....another boat hooked a flipper the same day. Guess you get enough of them congreated and a stupid one or two will show up. Darwin is still at work...

The first year we went down there, as the Prof says, there was a school of dolphin southwest of Pinas Bay that was so big it defied description. The porposes and yellowfin tuna were balling bait up so tight the 8" silver sided bait fish would wiggle on top of each other 3 feet out of the water....no kidding, a pile of biatfish 3 feet high and maybe 8 feet in diameter stacked up.....we backed up to a bait ball and the mate filled our live well by dipping over the stern with a tiny bait net.

The porposes were showing off for us like Sea World, jumping 25' in the air and doing cartwheels.....worth the price of admission.

Gave AJ a minor cleaning yesterday afternoon clad in shorts and sandals, it was about 80 and sunny. Foggy and warm this morning, we had to come home today for some reason I either forgot or the Bride never told me, but we are home. Cold front coming tonight they say.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

we used to surf with them out at the channel islands....they would watch us for a few minutes and then it was hold my beer and watch this......having the advantages of being able to swim faster than the wave and hold their breath for a long time they could do some amazing things.....and they would stick around and get the hoots and smiles. they might not be brilliant....but they sure aint fish.
Brewster Minton

SeanB , from the waves they derect out from their body, dolphins can derive the location, distance, speed, direction, and size of the object which are often fish who are unaware that they are made to be a target. The sonar involved increases the pulse rate of the pray, AS WELL AS PENETRATING IT, similar to x-rays used in medicine. Check Sonar, Echolocation,& Ultrasonics: Dolphin pg2. They see the hook. Some might eat it. but they can see it. Next time do your homework first. Also The Dolphin Institute- Resource Guide pg2 "The echolocation signals of dolphins can penetrate through many objects, revealing their inner structures. Spotted and bottlenosed dolphins, for example, have been observed echolocating into the sand bottom of the ocean, searching through sound for hidden fish and rooting them out with their snout."
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I've always been facinated by Dophins......and their intelligence. On many of occasion they have came up around my boat while were were fishing....of course that ended the fishing

3 years ago my daughter and family invited Jo Ann and I to go to Disney World with them. After doing a little research I discovered that you can book a diving adventure in the aquarium in EPCOT.

The EPCOT managment would not let us dive in the area that housed the dophins. They claim that the dophins are quite playful and the way they play is to bite, scratch and knip at one another and a Dophin Knip to human skin would be an immediate trip to the hospital and a lot of stitches.

But what's funny is that we dove in the main tank and were warned to look out for the SHARK.

While on a Tuna charter trip 100 miles south of Alabama we hooked up with dophins several times. Our captian, Bill Staff, told us that in recent years he experienced more hooked dophins than ever before. His thoughts are that the Eco System in the gulf is way out of balance hence more shark attacts and the dophins are simply hungry.

I know this......on the tackle that we were using, we never turned Flipper around..........those suckers would take the bait and head for Cuba.......stripping the line from our reels in a matter of seconds.

Smart......dumb......whatever........I think they are beautiful creatures, but I don't want one for a pet.

Harry
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Harry,

Once in the mid 80's we hit the deck at day light and the Gulf was bottle nose Dolphins from horizon, to horizon. Hundreds of them, as far as we could see. I have only witnessed such a thing once. No one else on the boat had every seen anything like it.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Well Brewster I think we're going to have to agree to disagree, despite my accused lack of homework (why does everyone seem to be picking a fight these days?). Just because some people think that sonar can penetrate objects at a distance doesn't mean that it does. Some think that dolphin sonar vibrations can cure cancer too - doesn't mean that it does. Hell I used to tell women that my sperm cured cancer all the time, and not one of them has believed me yet. Maybe I'd have better luck if I also tell them that I'm a dolphin.

Think about ground penetrating sonar, or the ultrasounds that they give women to look at the fetus, or the handy wall stud finder in your toolbox. It doesn't work unless the sending/listening unit is right on top of the substrate you're looking (listening) through. Also my quick search for dolphins sonar feeding in sand led to an article about it that describes their behavior as foraging with their nose in the sand... same deal as before: the sender/listener have to be in contact with the material being penetrated. By the way, that researcher could not get his dolphins to find anything in the sand using sonar, although they (the dolphins) did try. Also: "It is possible that crater-feeding dolphins only echolocate to enhance the detection of the fishes once detected by other cues such as visible breathing holes and/or faeces piles on the surface or audible sounds made by the fish." i.e., just because the dolphin is making noises doesn't mean he's learning anything from those noises.

I guess my techincal point is this: sonar can indeed penetrate through all sorts of substrates such as water, sand, fish, a woman's stomach... et cetera. It cannot however penetrate through two different mediums at a distance and get a return signal. X-ray can do this, but it only works because the sender and receiver/listener (in this case, x-ray emitter and film) are on opposite sides of the object, because the waves/x-rays go right through the object. This analogy isn't really valid though because x-rays are actual particles being transmitted, while sonar is just wave energy traveling in a material medium. These guys who say that dolphins can see your skeleton in the water with sonar are dreaming. Dolphins can't change the laws of physics.

So anyway... a dolphin swimming above a sandy bottom would not be able to detect fish buried in it without sticking his nose in the sand. A dolphin could maybe find a hook inside a fish if he put his nose right up against the fish, but not from a distance.

Maybe one day we'll be able to ask a dolphin and settle up this whole thing. They often like to hang around just behind my boat, surfing and playing in the boat wake. They do this almost every time I go by a pod at just the right speed (secret knowledge). We caught this guy on camera just three weeks ago

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

why does everyone seem to be picking a fight these days?
Called Frustration due to Pending/Existant Cabin Fever. Seldom fatal, but always nerve wracking...

I've got a mild case of it today, gonna' get worse by tomorrow afternoon, but should be cured by Wednesday when yhr temp is projected to be back into the mid 70s...

The BB always get hot and steamy on cold days. Drag up a space heater and cyber-boat.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

CaptPatrick wrote: Called Frustration due to Pending/Existant Cabin Fever. Seldom fatal, but always nerve wracking...

I've got a mild case of it today, gonna' get worse by tomorrow afternoon, but should be cured by Wednesday when yhr temp is projected to be back into the mid 70s...

The BB always get hot and steamy on cold days. Drag up a space heater and cyber-boat.
know the feeling Capt P. So, I took the wife to a restaurant for a nice brunch and had a couple of Harvey Wallbangers while I was there (It was after 12:00 here). I let the idea of diamond earrings slide though. Now I'm ready to take a nap, and being sick of being cooped up is a little further from my mind! I reccomend it to everyone.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Boy Capt. P. I know that cabin feaver feeling. When I lived in Alaska for 30 some years and you get down to winter soltice when there was only a possibility of 4 to 5 hours of actualy sunlight. My favorite passtime was going to hockey games and venting frustration. It was such a good therapy that I became a member of the board of directors at the University of Alaska, which was a member of the WCHA. Lots of beer and lots of yelling at the refs will cure cabin feaver for a couple of days anyway.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Come on guys......can't we all just get along here! ! ! !

I feel like fighting too.....but not you guys........hell, I wanna see blood........I'll be in better spirits on Friday morning when all of this seasonal hooptallllaaaa is over with.

Just wondering if dophins use "ROCKER STOPPERS"???

Harry
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sean

I think you are just feeling sensitive this week. No one is picking a fight. Just getting a little fiesty is all this is.

Now, send Capt. Pat is $20 before he picks a fight. LOL
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry
Not the rocker stopper thing again.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Ha ! ! ! !

You remember it too.........You can always tell when we get bored...that was funny.........just like a Cartridge in a Bare tree, galled nuts and fried fish

Harry
hb
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

its a long 4 months up here, winter su####
Brewster Minton

SeanB no fight. Just see the world a little different.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Harry Babb wrote:Ha ! ! ! !

You remember it too.........You can always tell when we get bored...that was funny.........just like a Cartridge in a Bare tree, galled nuts and fried fish
I wonder... could a dolphin see a galled nut inside a fried fish behind a rocker stopper at 200 yards?

Tony the Skip's $20 went out last week, so no need to break my thumbs
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

I wonder... could a dolphin see a galled nut inside a fried fish behind a rocker stopper at 200 yards?

Only if the rocker stopper was attached to a Balsa cored boat
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

JP Dalik wrote:
Only if the rocker stopper was attached to a Balsa cored boat
That was owned by a UAW member.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Around here when the Dolphins show up you might as well pack your fishing gear and go home!! They either drive all of the other fish away before them or eat them!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Typical in So Cal. year round.. Big schools holdin YFT in summer.
Most whale watchin boats key on them when the whales are hiding.

Dolphins in Newport harbor yesterday.. Took these at my mooring.
Kinda funny you guys were posting this.

Wayne
Merry Christmas guys