New video shows shot from cabin while underway

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

yachts101

New video shows shot from cabin while underway

Post by yachts101 »

JK

Post by JK »

That's pretty nice but I am still biased to the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abt1Ek8KgYw

--JK
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

and so am i jk .is that about 24kns in that picture?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JK

Post by JK »

Yep, 24knts against the tide and couldn't get more due the the Solo II's that we discussed. I will play with them again in the spring. I sure miss running at 2600 or even 2800 for a short bit.

--JK
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Is it my imagination or is the Nassau chunkier looking? I look at the pictures of Sea Nile running and it looks so much more graceful. Looks like they may have increased the height of the cabin a few inches? Maybe it's just the photography but JK's boat looks nicer to me. Maybe it's the enclosure and all the goodies. Normally, the simpler looks better.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jk the main problem is at 24kns the boat has alot of drag as you increase speed the boat keeps rising on the strakes.this picture is at 31kns in 4' seas because it is turning in the head seas at 38kns the chines are totally out of the water and she is riding on the 1st set of stakes at midships to stern.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

we have to resolve this solo 11 problem one way or another at least mine will go 2700rpm but is capable of 3050rpm.i have had it there with another cable arangment but bought into solo11 for looks on the pod.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JK

Post by JK »

I do remember how the boat feels at 26+knts as it seems to lighten up and run higher. I remember seeing 30.8knts before the redo with full fuel and 4 adults. It feels a bit wasteful having these 300hp 6BTA's and "only" getting 26knts when i know there is more to be had.

--JK
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

4' seas
Bob,

We call that 1 to 2 down south.
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Me thinks he was trying to type " and instead hit ' key.
Carl

Post by Carl »

walterk wrote:Is it my imagination or is the Nassau chunkier looking? I look at the pictures of Sea Nile running and it looks so much more graceful. Looks like they may have increased the height of the cabin a few inches? Maybe it's just the photography but JK's boat looks nicer to me. Maybe it's the enclosure and all the goodies. Normally, the simpler looks better.
I'm thinking it looks chunkier because of the solid dark hull color and Offwhite topside.

Maybe Bob has smaller feet...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Walt,
They appear to have hired video folks who need more OJT. Their finished product makes the boat look twelve-foot long and twelve-feet tall. Bad production. I wouldn't have let a video of my new product out onto the web without thoroughly viewing on the web , but what do we know, Pal, we only spent our lives in the 'biz.'
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce i was trying to establish the speed of the boat increasing dramaticly from 2600 to 2700 as opposed to adding the same 100rpm at lets say 1900 to 2000.the wave height goes from 1to 2 and then 2to 3 and 3to 4 in less than 1/4mile i took the first of the sequencial shots did not think it was important i know your there to sniff out the bullshit factor as in the nassau 32 but this is not one here is #2.btw why in the world would you want to core the bottom to reduce weight thats exactly where you add weight ----cetroid of gravity.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

Years ago Tropical Storm Fabian was 400 miles off our coast. Dad and I had done some fishing in beautiful calm water with well distanced 8 -10 foot swells, that you could hardly feel a thing, nice and gentle. Coming back into Jones Inlet, they started building on the shoals. You can easily see a wave cresting over the jetty, and dad decided to ride the back of that wave through the inlet. This video doesn't show us running profile, but dad was more concerned about the view in front of him and the GPS, than what was coming up our stern. He finally pinned the throttles, and later told me the GPS said 42mph. Boy did those big blocks sing!!
http://www.justkeepfishing.com/GiveJuice.html
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

walterk wrote:Is it my imagination or is the Nassau chunkier looking? I look at the pictures of Sea Nile running and it looks so much more graceful. Looks like they may have increased the height of the cabin a few inches? Maybe it's just the photography but JK's boat looks nicer to me. Maybe it's the enclosure and all the goodies. Normally, the simpler looks better.
Walter,

the lack of a different color at the waterline gives off the appearence of a stocky boat. If there was a different color the hullsides would then actually look longer and leaner than his photos show. Also, I think that color green is the wrong color for any boat. JMO!
Harv
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I think you guys are getting a bit worked up over this.

While the design of the 31 is a great timeless design, the build quality was not space age. Glass was laid on thick and heavy because they did not know any better. Bulkheads were formica, some had no glass at all- most of them rotted out after so many years along with every other piece of wood in the boat that had no fiberglass on it, and we all know there is plenty of raw wood panels in a 31.

You guys yourself say you ADD weight to your boats to get them to perform in heavier seas. Well most people DONT run thier boats in that. Your boats in thier stock configuration- by your very words- cannot handle rough seas without ballast.

So for the other 90% of the people who run thier boats in normal conditions a lighter boat will have better fuel economy and be a faster boat. A Nassau owner can also ballast his boat out if he needs it to be so whats the harm ?
Heck even race boats ballast thier boats for different water conditions otherwise its build them as light and strong as possible.

I do agree on that hull color- it is a TERRIBLE color for that boat.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I know you diesel guys may differ, but there's nothing like a BB in full song--and Harv was even so polite as to say "thank-you" to Sy. Priceless.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I would like to hear Craigs BB motors when he is chugging along at 40 knots.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

JK,

I'm surprised you're only getting 26 knots on the pins with your 300hp 6BTA's. I'm running the same motors in my 33 and I top out at 28.5-30 knots.
Regards,

Doug L.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:I would like to hear Craigs BB motors when he is chugging along at 40 knots.
I wouldn't want to see his fuel burn.
Been there ....done that!!!
Harv
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice clip Harv.

They do sing a wonderfull tune when hooked up and running on the pins.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Getting a push from that wave didn't hurt either.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

John F. wrote:I know you diesel guys may differ, but there's nothing like a BB in full song--and Harv was even so polite as to say "thank-you" to Sy. Priceless.
John,

I wouldn't mind hearing the turbos whine when I get my diesels.
There may be a possibility that my gassers may go back. All has to do with priorities,
and first priority is to buy out my sister's half of the house, and square away the rest of my mom's estate..
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You guys are right, nothing like hearing those second set of barrels kick in and the scream of a big block, but I suspect when all is said and done I will enjoy the turbo whine on the cummins once I am done.
JK

Post by JK »

dougl33 wrote:JK,

I'm surprised you're only getting 26 knots on the pins with your 300hp 6BTA's. I'm running the same motors in my 33 and I top out at 28.5-30 knots.
Doug,

It's only because my "pins" are not allowing me full throw of the cable. Engines spin 3050+ and I do get 30.8knts but the Solo II's limited the throttle throw and only allow 2550 rpms. I'll tinker with it again in the spring and get the throttles right.

--JK
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

When you get around to tinkerin', remove the levers and add green Loctite to the shafts. Green Loctite is formulated for rotational applications... Should help your levers from slipping on the control shaft.

Br,

Patrick
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Gotcha.

You're really babying those things at 3050rpms (which is great!). I'm turning just over 2900rpms @ WOT.
Regards,

Doug L.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi guys, I've got a pretty loud "tick" on my starboard bb, think this could have been ethanol for a valve? I need a flexible borascope. Rocky.
Harv

Post by Harv »

It's quite possible. When my engine let go, however, it was more like marbles clattering in the valves, not just a tick. I also need that flexible borascope if I decide to try my surgery again.
Harv
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

JK - on the throttle travel issue....the throttle lever on the injector pumps of my 6BTA 250s has two holes for the cable attachement point, one at the end and one in a little way.....try the second hole and will give more travel???

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I wouldn't mind hearing the turbos whine when I get my diesels
but there's nothing like a BB in full song
They all pale in comparison to a blower whine.

This is the startup of a two year project I traveled to Texas and South Carolina to get the components.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i279.photobucket.com/player.swf? ... OV0018.flv">

JK,
Theres a good chance I'll be comming up North sometime in the spring.
If your boats in the water, I would be happy to come by and see if I can fix the problem on your Solo's.

I'd tell you what I did but I can't remember 4 years ago what exactly fixed it.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

nice
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Nice video Harv!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nice. Thanks. Post a pic. of a run once its sorted out. Can't wait.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Bruce, a supercharged 6.0 litre chevy towes my bert. I like the sound as well. Rocky.