Volvo D4 300

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill Cuthbertson

Volvo D4 300

Post by Bill Cuthbertson »

Anybody have thoughts on this motor. I thought I was all set with the Cummins Qsb's, but want to make sure I cover all the bases.

Price is a big factor and one installer I am talking to can get Volvos at OEM pricing for a refit, but gets dealer pricing for the Cummins. I think Cummins has some policy about not selling engines for repowers at OEM pricing.

Of course there are always the Yanmars. Would probably go with the 4 cylinder, probably not a big difference in price between the six cylinder Yanmars and the QSB's.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

My experience, albeit long ago, with Vulva diesels was terrible....too complicated, sorta flimsy construction, parts incredibly expensive, service not that widespread, thing fall off the motors like alternators, brackets, etc. I could not keep belts on mine, double v belts had a bad angle and would eat up in a matter of hours. Other than that, they are just crap.

Now on the other hand, the Cummins QSBs are the best engines out there and my experience with Cummins 6Bs has been nothing short of incredible....the one serpentine belt was changed after 2,000 hours out of guilt, did not need changing....vlave covers never been off either one.....changed both alternators at 2,500 hours - one still worked......just bullet proof, strong, low rpm, did I say low rpm?????

Go with the Cummins, you will not regret it and your resale value will be twice what the Vulva will bring. Our boats deserve the best quality.....

And that's how it is from snowy Coonassland.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I installed a pair of the Volvo D4's in a 31 two years ago.

Install was clean, even with a gen set outside port engine.

Engines are big 4's and heavy. The only quirk was typical 4 cylinders.
At about 1100 there was a balance shake. But above and below that its fine.

Fuel consumption was amazing 14 gal per at cruise for both.

I like Vic was not impressed with the earlier Volvo machinery. It seems the D series engines have changed that.

If your interested in specifics, you can call me.
I've also installed the QSB series engines. While a good engine like most Cummins, I really would opt for the D4's in the 31.

Install was much more involed and problematic due to the size. The electronics were much more involved and gave the owner fits after delivery.

QSB

QSB electronics, controls and glendenning sync.

Volvo gauges in original panel

Volvo engines
randall

Post by randall »

beautiful install....love the engine beds....aluminum?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Yes aluminum.

I designed and welded them up and then the customer had them powder coated.

In designing engine beds and risers, its important from a service standpoint to be able to get to things on the sides of the block. Thats what those were designed to do.

So many engines I work on have no access to the mid to lower parts of the block and pan.
Bill Cuthbertson

Thanks Bruce

Post by Bill Cuthbertson »

Bruce,

Thanks for the info, I may call or have my boatyard call. The more I look at the Qsb's they seem to be cost prohibitive.

Bill