Hurt my B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JGomber

Hurt my B31

Post by JGomber »

On the return run to the marina yesterday Triton II hit a submerged piling or power pole cross tree running at 2500 rpm and about 18kt. The haul out showed the object struck the hull starboard, forward, between the second and third strake from the chine at about the point of the windshield. It then struck at about the cabin bulkhead and went into the 1 3/8" shaft where it drove the two zincs down to the strut and ended up bending one blade of the prop. Rudder was OK.
At shut down and bilge check there was no unaccounted-for water or other fluids and the strut backing was unchanged. HOWEVER, although the engine ran fine and the transmission linkage operated the on-trans lever as normal, I had no power to the shaft and limped the last two miles home on the port side. Backing into my slip was fun. (Capt. Pat, I'm a customer for your rudders over the coming winter!)
Sorry to be long winded, but, can anyone give me an idea of the damage to be expected in the transmission. Triton II is powered by Cummins V504s and has Velvet Drive AS2-73C, 1.5:1 transmissions. The shaft and prop could be turned by hand with no binding when the boat was in the slings.
I'm having the yard pull the prop and thoroughly check the shaft and strut today when it is side tracked. I'd like to help them with some ideas on what to look for in the trans.
Thanks for any help.
Jerry
Jerry, Triton II
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Maybe sheared the key in the coupling?

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Jerry,

I am sorry to hear you decided to copy me and take it up a notch...

I have asked the insurance company to bless the removal of the transmissions from Alchemy and have them evaluated by ZF. I don't actually anticipate any problems will be found as I came back on my own power, but as I said to them, I want to make sure there are no cracks or anything inside that will reveal themselves in time. My transmissions are 2.5 seasons old, so I am not interested in taking chances.

Good luck with your repairs.

Dug
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Thanks Vic and Dug,

Good thought to have the trans pulled for a check of everything. I'm starting to communicate with the Insurance company today. As soon as I have some idea of the problems and early estimates, I'll be the one to suggest pulling the transmission.
Prop being removed as I type this and the yard will send it back to the guy who tuned both of them in February.
Just learned that the number one yard mech took today to attack the tuna stocks off NJ...and he didn't even invite me!
Hoping to get back in the water in time for the fall striper run.
Jerry, Triton II
bob lico

damage 31 bert

Post by bob lico »

:lol: i have a trans if you need it from my old 504 set up 73c/ ratio 1.50
less than 1100 hours.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Jerry, sorry to hear it. That's one of my fears traveling off the beach. Glad you made safe harbor without taking on water.
JGomber

Thanks Bob,

Post by JGomber »

You have already been a lifesaver since I picked up your
"old" starter motors from your 504s a couple of years ago. They were rebuilt and installed a few months later and are doing fine.
Your offer of the 1100hr trans is appreciated (mine has 2600+/-hrs) and if I need it you'll hear from me as soon as the yard reports their findings.
Dick,
I have two 2000gph pumps installed and a 1500gph "on a stick" portable with 25ft of wire and battery clips and a lot of hose for a back up...and I really hope to never need them all at the same time!
Jerry, Triton II
JP Miller

Tranny damage from hit

Post by JP Miller »

I have had ZF's rebuilt due to a cracked bearing race. Most likely from prop strikes but my owners admited to nothing. The trannys ran fine for years but there was minor vibration and slight oil leakage at the rear seal. An attempted engine alignment revealed the internal damage when the tranny flange was not turning true on a dial micrometer. Very poor gear tooth wear necessitated major rebuilding.

The point is...definitely get the trannys checked by a good shop. There may be internal damage that is not showing itself yet.