GM 454s or Gm 427s?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rocky

GM 454s or Gm 427s?

Post by Rocky »

Not to beat a dead horse here guys, but when I inquired about what original manifolds the Bertram came with from Mercury/Mercruiser's serial number on the I.D. tags at the bell housings, Mercruiser told me my serials match GM 427s. He also said the manifolds were the "log" style that those engines came with. Well, somone put center risers on them and consequently now the boxes do not clear. I pulled my rudders, shafts and couplers off, and see even wear around strut bearings, and logs look O.K., so alignment was not a problem in the past. I think I want to leave engines were they are if alignment measurements are O.K., and buy the correct manifolds. Anyone have other suggestions? I'd appreciate any inputs! Rocky.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Sounds like a logical plan to me.

I believe that the seawater (SALT WATER) cooled manifolds have a life expectancy of 7 years or so.

If yours are aged and seawater cooled you may kill 2 birds with one stone! ! !

Harry
hb
John F.

Post by John F. »

Sounds like a good plan. Spray everything with Corrosion X so that the manifold and riser bolts come off a little less hard (I don't think they're ever easy).

I have the log-style manifolds on my 454s--I wondered if center risers would fit...

When I replaced my risers/elbows, the prices at the local merc. dealer/parts guy were very close to anything I could get online, so I bought there. Just a thought--the online guys don't always have the best prices.

John F.
randall

Post by randall »

check the manual for torque on the manifold bolts. i was surprised at how low the number was. this season for the first time i have a very easy fresh water post run rinse out set up....dont plan to change my manifolds for a looooooooooong time. something to consider.....especially with mercs.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks for the tips guys. About the manifolds on there now, they are unfortunatley brand new by original owner! Rocky.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rocky you may have hit the jackpot .look at the rear top of the engines.there are a raised embossed set of numbers tell me the last 3 numbers.should be 642 or 351.looking from the flywheel end the numbers would be on the the top left bank (cylinders 1,3,5,7).
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

About the manifolds on there now, they are unfortunatley brand new by original owner! Rocky.
EBAY!!!!!
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rocky

Be sure to get a price on Merc risers and logs. You might be suprised and find them closely priced to the Osco's and Bar's. Several years ago when we put new risers on, they were the same price as the Osco's. Also, there was a spacer between the riser and the manifold on the old style logs. That was to give the riser another inch or so of height just in case. You don't really need them but you may need to change the plumbint a little bit. Might mean adding a hose.

Unfortunately I don't remember if it was fresh or the salt side, maybe Bruce knows. My engines are long gone so I can't even check it out for you.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi Bob, yes I did get those numbers, 10063286 same #'s on both engines.Our parts guy at my work (Toyota dealership, I'm a tech) is a car racer and really knows big blocks. He said the only difference between the 454 and the 427 is the stroke. Everything else is the same right down to the heads. Unfortunatley Mercruiser shows discontinued "log" style manifolds! By the way, when I took just the risers off the inboard sides of engines, boxes clear.This is driving me nuts. Rocky.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

The Barr manifold web site lists log manifolds for Merc.

Get the numbers you need from the pdf listings and then internet shop for your best price.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks Bruce, maybe I'll actually get to launch this thing some day! I do have to rebuild rudder shelves as well, I printed out Capt. Patric's procedure on the two piece design due to the Hynautics ram, I cannot do the one piece going across. Someone (hack) had put 1/2" "marine" lumber in as shelves holding bearings on top of rudders AND holding the forces of the stationary end of the ram! I would'nt think this is safe.Would anyone know were I can purchase the rudder shelf bearings, strut shaft bearings, and the best packless shaft seals for 1 3/8" shaft? I am not going diesel just yet , maybe when I win the lotto. Rocky.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have the PYI shaft seals on my 1 3/8" shafts and love them! Bleed cooling water off of your heat exchanger if you are fresh water cooled.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

To further Rawleigh's comment, there IS no better shaft seal than PY!/PSS. Period. You can order directly from them at 800-523-7558...
Details of the seals are HERE.

Bearings can be had through WW Grainger...

Br,

Patrick
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

A few yrs ago I had to replace the log type manifolds and a shop on Long Island said now was the time to switch over to the new type. Well I didn't. And now I'm glad I didn't. I never thougt of the head room for the engine box.

Anyway, I asked the manifold guy about the spacers between the manifold and the risers. He said he would have to make them when the risers are changed. It's that time ... I might get one more season on the risers.

So where can I get four spacers?
A/K/A El Gaupo
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rocky 351 as the last 3 numbers would indicate 1967 corvette 427 worth about 14,000 just for the core would give you brand new 454 mercrusers for them.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dick

As I noted above you can eliminate the spacers, they are not really needed. You will not find them, 3 years ago I all over and only found one. Its a futile search, trust me.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks guys for the info. Bob, you had me scrambling for my wallet after you gave me that info about last three numbers being 351, as I forgot exactly what #s I had. Thanks a lot. Whish I did have 351 ending numbers, it would have paid for boat!! Rocky.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

year like the lotto a pair of 351 blocks will fetch 28,000.just one call to corvette n.c.r.s and there would be a truck at your door and a machanic to install those 454 mercruisers.i am not kidding to die for!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Tony,
O.K., thanks. Now I'll never know how much I've saved.
Being part of this website is great.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dick

Just remember, you still have to plumb a hose to the back side of the riser to get water up in there.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I bit the bullet and purchased the PYI PSS shaft seals today. Ouch! Oh well, they won't drip, or need maintainance.Thank you Capt. Patrick for the advice, I think that was a good upgrade. About those manifolds, especially for Capt. Dick Dean, I took the risers to a machine shop and had them put a 3 degree angle on surfaces toward center of engines, and wa la, they clear boxes by conforming to the shape of the inward turn the OEM boxes have! (40$). Rocky.