Everglades Boats

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

Everglades Boats

Post by Tommy »

In addition to the B-31, I use a mid-size outboard center console. I just sold my '96 Boston Whaler 24' Outrage and I'm thinking about getting an Everglades 243 (24') w/250 Yamaha. Bob Dougherty was the head engineer at BW for many years before founding Edgewater Boats (which he sold) and now Everglades Boats. The Everglades 243 and 223 are bay boats, (sort of between the concepts of flats boats and deep-V boats). They are modified V, have a slightly narrower beam (8'2"), and a much lower gunwale. I think it would be ideal for the sounds and bays of coastal NC, as well as the shoals off Cape Lookout and Ocracoke. Anyone have experience with the Everglades 243 or 223...........any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tommy
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Tommy - in general bay boats are real big around here. My son uses 24' Rangers in his inshore charter operation and loves them - as well as the 250 Yama 4 strokes. He was running Pathfinders at one time and they were real good too - Boston Whaler quality finish. The 24 Ranger will go 45 mph thru a nasty chop without a quiver, and is very stable, once you get used to the very low sides. His ultimate gadget is a Power Pole which is a remote control articulated hyd. pole for stabbing in the bottom to stop the boat when sight casting for redfish.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tommy,
I've heard nothing but good things about those boats. Designed like a bay boat should be, not just a hull with extra's thrown in.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tommy anybody who makes a attemp at comparison -----has no clue!!!!!!just like 31 bertram as opposed to a 31 bayliner you can`t answer the persons question because you don`t no ware to start.i have driven every size everglade simply the best.look at the 32' dx and try to find something bob dougherty left out.tommy if you can come to long island we can test ride all of them and most color options.it no use to even begin to explain the unique contruction,the only one of it`s type in the world.i would need 10 pages .i would love to find out who makes the constant tighten hatch handles and that 316ss raw water manifold.2009 even have touch screen controls------no switches---------give me a break
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Bob, I take your comments as a raving endorsement of the Everglades! Likewise, Bruce is hearing good things about the Everglades, and Uncle Vic endorses the "bay boat" concept in general. Your comments encourage me to keep my eyes open for a good value in one of these boats. Thanks for your comments.

Bob, I assume your pleasure boating season is over for now.......when does your boating season crank back up?

Tommy
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

we start cranking up in march but with the last ten years of mild winters you can pick your days and go to offshore wrecks for cod,ling,monk fish and get on the first sigh of mackeral.
tommy i shoud have mention the fact that my everglade`s comment was bass upon the fact that we have every single center console boats made in the 3 locations of oakdale yacth so there is no he said she said you can actually pick a boat name out of a hat and you can compare.in a layman`s sense i would have to say the everglade`d stand alone method of contruction is more or less like vacuum baging a entire boat in one process. extremely ridgid,one piece contruction no bending,warping even when hitting a wall of water head on.there is a unique 5" angled step in the chine that sheds the water away from the boat.exact same wave pattern in lets say a contender you would wear a wall of water,in a floating "brick"--- whaler you would need a back brace.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Bob- is this the manifold you are talking about?

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

as usual you are on top of the latest the one on the everglades are similar but one piece right to the thru hull.i have no idea had they come up with these marvels of the boating industry.robbie you step down from the cockpit deck into the galley and after seeing a thousand boats and countless boatshows this galley is totally differant.(mind you this is a 32' pilot center console ) has a combination micro/toester oven/coffee maker all ss made by LG.on the bottom right of the cabinet is a small door matching the teak cabinets inside a fire exti. totally concealed instead of hanging on a bracket on you teak cabinets he has the same thing in the cockpit in a gelcote door.two seperate a/c one for the pilot house (actually a sliding eiserglass door that fold back out of the way to convert to a open center console ) and another for down below.sleeping quarters on a center console absolutly( between cockpit floor and bottom of boat foward)center console seat is double bucket seat with full power up and down forward and back of course so is the steering wheel.mind you this is at 63mph cruise.the fishing ability of the cockpit is unreal and of course tv camaras under the boat that can long range focus on a touchscreen.i don`t know who makes that ice cold draw for beer all stainless but i will be putting some of these ideas to work on my 31bert in the future.i was in the army with guys who would drink piss from a boot and now you ask me at what temperature you would like me beer serve at!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Buju

Post by Buju »

I agree with everyone about the apparent quality in the everglades line. I haven't checked 'em all out by any means, but I've seen a few, and a good friend of mine was given a behind the scenes tour of the factory by Dougherty Jr.- Impressive stuff.
The only thing I dislike, are all of the bells & whistles... they just seem a bit too feature-rich.
I mean...power seats, touch screens, under hull cameras, etc, etc... seems to me the only thing these really help with is to sell the boat.
On a open saltwater fishing boat, I'd imagine many of these features will become malfunctions in short order.
Guess I'm a big fan of the Keep It Simple Stupid philosophy. But thats just me............
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Bob- thats a Gemlux part, they make some really nice pieces in stainless, it screws right onto a thru-hull.
It CANT be one piece- how would you get it through the boat?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the manifold is one piece and has a ss elbow that makes the manifold parallel to the bottom of the boat there is a union after the elbow to the truhull.baitwell pump,salt water wash down,generator cooling,air conditioning pumps,toilet,etc all come off one thru hull you can add or remove if you want.on the opposite side is a fresh water manifold with take offs for forward sink,cockpit sink,ice maker,head forcet,etc.they use the rule type threaded pump and ball valve at each outlet.user friendly i think dougherty lays awake at ---can you top this.even at the entry level no option bare bone he has his own pre formed fiberglass hardtop on all center consoles that contain speakers(no big deal) but a smart arrangment of over head recess lights that are white and with a flick of a switch turn red and of course they have dimmers.that is so important reading a chart,or electronics at night and then look into the dark water ahead the top also contains a recessed halogen docking light.ok i go along with k.i.s.s. however alot of these inovations are safety.there is no doubt i would live to copy his electronic skeme .two e-120 raymarine units side by side (cost about 10ggg) with extras disappear with the push of a button they slide inside the bridge for safekeeping and no wear and tear salt intrusion.you don`t have to sleep on the boat to watch your electronics at some unfimilar dock.i an trying to be openminded and i love the gelcote and workmaship of regulator but these everglade guys are the best not to say other boats don`t have inovations like the 32' marlargo transom.and air lift strakes on intrepid.just putting the hold package together and most of all what we can due to our 31 bertrams from all this.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob, You never cease to amaze (and impress) me. Walter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

walter the boat comes out tommorow i promise pictures of props to a few who inquired and begin the windshield project.i am putting off the 20' bertram project for now but i will get to it after 31 goes in water.i will take pictures of the old windshield removal and new one piece installation.i have to keep active because the wall street fiasco detroyed every thing i saved!!!i don`t what to dwell on this i get sick.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Welcome to the club. I haven't even opened the statement for two months now in fear of getting sick or having a stroke.
scot

Post by scot »

A very good friend and employee of mine has an Everglades. I have spent MANY hours on the boat. Heavy, built like a tank, drifts well. These are very impressive boats, you can't go wrong.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks again to everyone for your comments........all were helpful. The hunt is on............

Tommy