price for hartop

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

The hardtop on my 33 (see pic in signature) cost me $7800 back in 2004. This was neither the lowest price I was quoted ($4K), nor the highest ($11K). Of course my bridge is a lot bigger than yours, but $3500 seems reasonable to me.

Aside from my diesels, the hardtop has been the best money I've spent on the boat.
Regards,

Doug L.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

I'm trying to locate a molded fiberglass hardtop here in Tx, but not having much luck. The aluminum is the easy part. Those prices that you guys stated are with or without the glass?
Thanks.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

The price I noted was "all in". All the frames, fiberglass top, and installation.
Regards,

Doug L.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If there is some interest in hardtops why not find an original. If there is enough interest pull a plug and make a few. Look at the hardtop on Da Judge's boat (yo, Trey, poste'er up) or my 31.
Probably no savings but how classy.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Looking good, Mikey.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
MikeD@Lightningshack

Lightningshack Hardtop

Post by MikeD@Lightningshack »

My hardtop price included the fiberglass. I believe it was ~7400.

This price did not include mounting or wiring. I did all of the backing plate hardware and wiring.

I went with the "thin line" fiberglass top which saved me $2500. They were quoting 10K with the standard fiberglass top that is thicker.

Differerence is roughly ~1.25" vs ~.75. It really does't make any sense to go with the heavy top. The thicker is easier for wire runs, but I put a bubble in the center and used the long rigger stantion to get all of the conductors to the bubble. The thin line is plenty strong enough to walk on during maintenance.

I was able to use the dome light hole which was under the bubble to get acces to the cross section. A 3 foot long flexible drill bit for cutting holes in conduit let me get wires runs from the dome light to anywhere in the top. Greenlee makes the drill bit, I think Lowes carries them. I believe it is marketed as an electricians tool.

Should be plenty of pics on my website, if you need some more let me know.

www.lightningshack.com
Mike Dolan
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks Mean Michael from you that's high praise.
Did a little cocktail cruise yesterday with a house full for the Urbanna Oyster Festival. Best oysters in years. Perfectweather. Autumn sky full of color and seventy degrees. Rock fish still in the creeks and refusing to leave because the weather here has been so nice. It will come, and hopefully before the season closes.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

John,
The hardtop is a factory original. It may be the only one left on a 31. As far as size, let me know the measurements you want and I'll measure.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein