Bonding Questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hyena Love

Bonding Questions

Post by Hyena Love »

Bear with me here. I was in a sling, and so bonding was less of an issue. Now in the water and I hate it.

I have zero shore power on my boat. None. Dock neighbors do as does the dock itself, obviously, but I do not. No battery chargers either on my boat.

I have the plate on the transom, and the copper bonding strap.

All my thru hulls - bonded.

Engines/Trannies - grounded, not bonded, and have zinks in the cooling system and other areas of the engines.

Shaft logs - bonded at the collar (where the shaft log meets the hull, not the packing gland.)

Rudders - not bonded but have zinks.

Shafts - not bonded but have zinks.

First, am I right so far?

Second, do I need to bond the packing gland, and if so, can I just silver solder a tab on it? I believe the material is silcone bronze (its from Buck A). What would I make the tab out of - copper?

Anything else I need to bond? Any other tips for the guy that is freaked out that his baby now is forced to spent her days in the water surrounded by raggers, bubble boats, and Lord only knows what else?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ernest,

Bond every metal fitting that has contact with the water.

Install a galvanic isolator directly behind your shore power receptical.

Check all bondings for good continuity. Clean up any corrosion at contact points & coat with Liquid Electric Tape. You'll be good to go.

Br,

Patrick
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Ernest,
Drag Lil Bert over to Freeport and stick her on my cradle lift. It's going to be a pretty good while until Reel Cowboy is done.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich