Ghost Fleet

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Ghost Fleet

Post by Harry Babb »

I ran across this article last week in a magazine published locally. As a young man, my friends and I boated and fished around the Ghost Fleet.

Although its now gone it was a sight to behold

[/img]Image

I'm not sure that I can believe the part about an old liberty ship being recomissioned for Hurricane Katrina.......Can any of you guys confirm whether or not an old "Liberty Ship" was used in the aftermath of Katrina??

Harry
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry,
Here's what I know:
First, the John W. Brown is the last Liberty ship afloat as I understand. It lives on the Chesapeake Bay and gives summer cruises.
http://www.liberty-ship.com
There is a part of a Ghost Fleet in the York River in Virginia which is being sold for scrap and to prevent leakage of all kinds of stuff from the aging craft.
Also: from an additional website.
Aiding the relief effort:

USS Bataan (LHD 5): This amphibious assault ship was in the Gulf and rode out the storm, then moved toward New Orleans. Her helicopters were among the first to begin plucking stranded residents out of harm's way. Follow the link for a great story. However, the crew isn't doing as much as they could, and they are eager for more. The captain says "But I can't force myself on people." There are apparently a lot of military units waiting to be called on to do more.

USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75): The carrier loaded up on fuel and will take aboard 30 to 40 Navy and Army helicopters to support relief operations. The Truman's crew wants to match or exceed the 90 missions a day that the USS Lincoln ran during tsunami relief in Indonesia. As we saw after the tsunami, the capability to generate 400,000 gallons of fresh water per day is a great asset.

Swift (HSV 2): The high-speed catamaran transport has also been dispatched to the area. Seems to me that the Swift's ability to navigate shallow water will be a major asset in the operations.

USNS Comfort (T-AH 20): This hospital ship with 250 beds will serve as a floating medical facility and headquarters and supply station for additional medical personnel. She's sailing from Baltimore and won't arrive until the 8th.

USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7), USS Shreveport (LPD 12), and USS Tortuga (LSD 46): This expeditionary strike group will arrive in the area on Sunday from Norfolk, Virgina. (Link updated to a more informative story.)

USNS Arctic (T-AOE 8): This fast combat support ship from the Iwo Jima group is already in the area supporting the naval vessels on station.

USS Whidbey Island (LSD 41): Air-cushioned LCAC amphibious transports can operate off of this landing ship (dock), just like her sister the Tortuga in the Iwo Jima group. The DHS release linked to here says the Whidbey Island "will bring with it the capability to employ a movable causeway to the region" though I don't know what this means. (UPDATE: Commenter EagleSpeak says this is the JLOTS. Great find!)

USS Grapple (ARS 53): This salvage and rescue ship brings divers, rescue equipment, and lifting and towing capabilities.

USNS Mercy (T-AH 19): The Comfort's sister ship was not originally going to be deployed, but plans changed and the hospital ship, a veteran of tsunami relief, will now arrive around the 21st from San Diego
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks Mikey

Harry
hb
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

I have the coordinates of These liberty ships.Parker,Galliger,Heridia,and an unknown all here in La. in depths from 60ft to 150ft. All were torpedoed during the war by German sub U166. Once in a while i come across an old timer who remembers seeing the flames from their house in Grand Isle.
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Once in a while i come across an old timer who remembers seeing the flames from their house in Grand Isle.
That's pretty interesting.

I have fished on several ships that I believe to be old sunken Liberty Ships actually sunk to make fishing reefs......The Wallace, The Sparkman, The Allan and the Edwards.

Although I have made a bunch of dives in the Gulf off of the coast of Alabama I have never dove one of these ships.

I was never interested in history in school and as I get older thats one thing that I really regret.

Reading the article about the Ghost Fleet sparked a lot of good memories from my childhood.......fishing and boating all around the Tensaw Ghost Fleet.

Harry
hb
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Harry You will be welcome to dive one or two this coming summer if you dont mind going on a 31Tiara with 210 Cummins. They are in close proximity to each other and overnight is the way to go. troy
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Harry-

Here is a liberty ship located just off the island of Lanai (Island in Hawaii). My understanding is that they used this shoal as a "junk yard" for getting rid of the ship back after WWII. There is another one located not too far down the beach.

-ANDY

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Andy
Looks like very deep water....no fish & dark.....and unbelievable photography equipment.

When are you going to show up here in Alabamer??

Harry
hb
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Harry-

If you look real close in the last 2 pics you will see my helicopter! Unless I had been drinking a lot that night we did not take the helicopter underwater JK..! Anyhow those pictures are being taken under night vision goggles. The ship is actually sitting above water. My understanding is this was a cheap way to dispose of the ships.

-ANDY
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

See! ! !

That's pretty cool..........I did wonder about the bright spots on the image.

Harry
hb
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Andy,

They let you target practice on those ships.

Harry,

You fixin to get hit with a line of strong thunderstorms coming across Mobile bay, Bro.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Done got smacked a couple of times earlier this evening......

Feels like spring is getting closer! !! !!

You doing Okay?

A friend of mine went out from Venice Marina last weekend fishing.....caught 4 nice Wahoo.........

H
hb
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

DQ-

No that was a time-on-target exercise plus/minus 30seconds. They are very restricted over in Hawaii on "live fire" areas. It would be a good target though!

-ANDY
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Harry-

I am going to try to fish out of Venice during the break. Hopefully the Yellow Fin will show up at the Lumps by the end of January/early Feb.

-Andy
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry,

Going over Thursday afternoon to Venice, going to fish Fri. & Sat. weather permiting. Doing better with my arms, still doing P.T. for about another month.

Let me know when everybody's gonna get together, I will be in Dallas 14th-17th next week, but will be home Saturday afternoon the 17th.

Andy,

They should be showing up good by then, if you catch the weather right. I
will be going over a few times this month and next. Will be staying at a friends camp down in Venice, looking for those big Hooters.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

DQ-

That is great I will be able to get some first hand info on the fish over there.

-ANDY