IMTS

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

IMTS

Post by Harry Babb »

IMTS......International Manufacturing Trade Show...........starts September 8th.

Any of You machine shop guys going this year??????

I will be there Sept 11th PM and return to Alabama Sept 14th AM

Harry
scot

Post by scot »

It would just make me want to buy a bunch of real neat stuff that I would use once or twice.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

And there is something wrong with that Scot???? Ha Ha

I have a bunch of slightly used stuff........that is if Jo Ann did not sell it in her last yard sale............including a 31 foot Bertram

For that matter....God gave me a part of a brain that I have only used a time or two.

Just remember "He who dies with the most toys wins"

Harry
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

If God had not meant for man to collect "stuff"...

He wouldn't have given us garages!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

My garage: Image
Living space is above... Everything below,(2300 sq ft), is "stuff space". I've even got tools that I've never used... But they're there when the occassion arises!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Jo Ann tells everybody that I cannot even change a faucet washer or wind my watch with out going to the shop at least once......I like your setup Capt Pat.......your already at the shop..........saves time and gas

I don't understand how the average man can even begin to exist without a Welding machine, drill press, lathe and a BFH

I said earlier that "He who dies with the most toys....wins"

Well my brother........a Harley Man.......tells me that "He who dies with the most miles....wins"

I'm hoping that, in Bertram circles, time ON THE HILL counts...........If so I am in the running

Well......I'm off to IMTS in search of a Bigger FH

Harry
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'm back from IMTS, as always it was a good show. This year was a bit less crowded than other years that I have attended.

Its hard to pick out one thing of great interest. Just when I thought I had seen it all, walk a little further and I would see something that captured my interest even more.

Fanuc had a pretty impressive Robotic booth. The attached clip is several robots working in unison simulating a welding process on some sort of really heavy framework.

Disney would be proud of these guys.......its all in showmanship.

Harry

[img][img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/chip51maker/th_100_0904.jpg[/img][/img]
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

the average man can even begin to exist without a Welding machine, drill press, lathe and a BFH
Was out to dinner the other night with my sister and her long, long time live in boyfriend doctor, a pretty decent guy with a hugh ego and a fresh set of chinese tools.

We were talking about the new bamboo floor I laid in the daughters house in the new babies room along with chair rail, closet sytem and ceiling fan.

Trying to be mechanicaly competitive he pipes up and says, I put a ceiling fan up for a neightbor a while ago but the neighbor took credit for it.

To which my wife without skiping a beat says, I wouldn't be to concerned David, any tard can put up a ceiling fan.

I thought I was gonna self implode holding the laughter in.
Carl

Post by Carl »

To which my wife without skiping a beat says, I wouldn't be to concerned David, any tard can put up a ceiling fan.

I thought I was gonna self implode holding the laughter in.

I'd beg to differ...

My brother-In-Law took his Ceiling Fan down to clean it (?????) Seems even thought he claims he did not touch the wiring it was wired wrong non the less. I only got into it because the Fan was dangling 1/2" from the ceiling and my niece plays in that room.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Bump-

I missed IMTS but wanted to go. I need to retrofit a machine (miller) with a new control. It is an old piece of iron, Rambaudi Rammatic 800 Twin Spindle.

But the thing cuts titanium, steel, inconnel, etc like it was going out of style. Right now it has a Fidia control on it. I am looking for a simple, which menas cheap, control to put on it. No tool change, RPMs are geared and changed manually, all it needs is x-y-z and a few basic M codes for coolant on/off, spindle on/off, M30/M02.

Any suggestions from people who were at IMTS, or who just know a good unit?

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Can't believe that Rawleigh hasn't chimed in here. He's the only lawyer I know with a complete machine shop in his garage. He can close your real estate deal and machine a part for your forty-year old boat at the same time.
God bless the talented.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Carl

Post by Carl »

http://www.automation.siemens.com/mc/mc ... index.aspx

Siemans is not the direct Cheap route, but several of the guys I know feel they haved saved in the long run. That is when compared to the less expensive packages with half arsed support.

I had a Centroid retrofit years ago on a Bridgeport, ran well, simple install but soon as the company moved on to the next level they seemed to forget about the older ones, no support, no parts. Rubbed me the wrong way.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

sim wrote:http://www.automation.siemens.com/mc/mc ... index.aspx

Siemans is not the direct Cheap route, but several of the guys I know feel they haved saved in the long run. That is when compared to the less expensive packages with half arsed support.

I had a Centroid retrofit years ago on a Bridgeport, ran well, simple install but soon as the company moved on to the next level they seemed to forget about the older ones, no support, no parts. Rubbed me the wrong way.
That is a very serious consideration. I have spoken to Fanuc and Fidia, but not Siemens yet. I'll contact them.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

That is a little over my head Mikey!! It is one heck of a machine though!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Rawleigh- I have three of those that we use as a "Hard Metals machining cell". Those were designed for Rossingnol ski boots back in the late seventies. The original application was machining of molds for ski boots.

Rambaudi had a novel idea, the heads will machine mirror images of each other. The result is a left foot boot and a right foot boot at the same time. The thinking was, if a mistake happens to the mold for one foot, it is likely going to appear in the mold for the other foot. That way they could often incorporate the errors into the boots, and save a bundle on scrapping molds.

On the machine is a titanium fitting for the bomb-bay doors on the F-22. Those parts in the foreground are the Steel rotorblade cuffs for the old Sikorsky Aircrane, now owned and flown by Ericson Aircrane in Oregon.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I had a friend who had one of the giant NC controlled Cincinnati Milicron mills. I always thought it was a great waste that it was newer retrofitted to CNC controls. It was massive. At least 15' tall with at least an 8 x 3' table. I bet it would really move some material in its day!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Gentlemen
I am interested in converting one of my newer conventional lathes into a CNC machine. Likewise I would only need X and Z controls......No tool changer.....no spindle control.......pretty basic.........

I would look hard at http://www.fagor-automation.com/Product ... efault.htm

How's business holding for you guys?????? So far we are doing just fine....hope it holds..........

Harry
hb
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Good suggestion- Harry I will contact these guys as well. Hopefully have something in work soon

Very Very busy. Actually getting busier for next year and the following.
Carl

Post by Carl »

It's strange but it seems that soon as the market fell I have had customer come out of the woodwork to place orders. Several contracts are coming to a head after many months of talk and prototyping.

Maybe they just needed something to shake their arse a little or realized they are not going to get rich in the market and time to get back to real world work.

Should be an interesting year...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

After 911 our business fell off drastically and stayed down for more than a year. During that time I sold several jobs that just covered expenses simply to avoid layoff.

Then one day one of my steel suppliers anounced a serious increase in steel and staniless steel prices. As we all know over the next few months and years steel prices actually quadrupled.

Orders started rolling in and we have not seen a slack time since.

Don't make any sense to me.........but then again I am not an economist

Just make hay while the sun is shining.

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry: My theory is it has do with the Golden Egg.

9-11 had many companies dropping their customer base to chase the Golden Egg, defence work. Since the products still needs to be done these guys who were dropped look elsewhere to have their products fabricated and thats when I started to see lots of new faces walking thru my door and PA's calling looking for new venders.

What worries me is if Obama gets into office, will he pull a Clinton? that is stop the defence spending again. When Clinton went Cold Turkey on defence spending lots of those guys who had spent tons of money upgraded their equipment and facilities had high dollar loans out on these new investments and needed cash to make payments. They took any and every job available by low balling jobs just to meet bills. That really killed our production end of the business for years, good thing we had the services end to sustain us. But now we don't...

I may be wrong about that whole thing, but seems to fit.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

sim wrote:Harry: My theory is it has do with the Golden Egg.

9-11 had many companies dropping their customer base to chase the Golden Egg, defence work. Since the products still needs to be done these guys who were dropped look elsewhere to have their products fabricated and thats when I started to see lots of new faces walking thru my door and PA's calling looking for new venders.

What worries me is if Obama gets into office, will he pull a Clinton? that is stop the defence spending again. When Clinton went Cold Turkey on defence spending lots of those guys who had spent tons of money upgraded their equipment and facilities had high dollar loans out on these new investments and needed cash to make payments. They took any and every job available by low balling jobs just to meet bills. That really killed our production end of the business for years, good thing we had the services end to sustain us. But now we don't...

I may be wrong about that whole thing, but seems to fit.
I read over the weekend where Barney Frank of Mass wants to cut defense spending 25% across the board. This could get very ugly very quickly.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I read over the weekend where Barney Frank of Mass wants to cut defense spending 25% across the board. This could get very ugly very quickly.

IDIOT ! ! !

Defense is the main thing that I think the government should spend our tax dollars on...........Noooooo ! ! ! They would rather avoid their major responsibilities and spend their time and OUR money on f$#king with free enterprise there by putting a choke hold on the folks that really power our economy...........

I've said enough........for now........my blood pressure is rising......I'm really and I mean really dreading Tuesday.........

Harry
hb
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Harry Babb wrote:

IDIOT ! ! !

Defense is the main thing that I think the government should spend our tax dollars on...........Noooooo ! ! ! They would rather avoid their major responsibilities and spend their time and OUR money on f$#king with free enterprise there by putting a choke hold on the folks that really power our economy...........

I've said enough........for now........my blood pressure is rising......I'm really and I mean really dreading Tuesday.........

Harry
I know Harry, and if they want to create high paying jobs what better way than pay for some manufacturing in the country? Seems like a no-brainer to me, oh wait, we are talking about a bunch of folks who really have no brains.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Manufacturing is the basis of a countries wealth.......we have allowed our manufacturing base to be sent out of our country until the only thing left that we manufactured was Beer and Hookers.......and I'll be dog gone.......Anheuser-Busch has sold out to a foreign company........so look at what we are left with...........

The IMTS show this year had practically NO..... USA.....representation at all in the machinery catagory........very disappointing..........

By the way....do you guys know much about the "United States Chamber of Commerce"????

Do they ever visit your businesses???

Harry
hb
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I guess Haas was about the last of the American machine tool manufacturers.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Hell even the Hookers are Asain Imports...

Maybe I misunderstood you Harry, are you saying that your Not Looking forward to Election Day? I really think you need to say what you mean instead of always beating around the Bush...

Personally, I will vote Tuesday against Obama, then go home and stick my head in the sand.

I don't like that companies move out of the country, but that is the governments fault (our fault for electing them) Why do well here in the US only to give 40% of your hard earned money to your Good Times Partner, the Government. So they can squander it on themselves, slackers and illegal aleins... Thanks Harry and jspiezio now I'm in a mood, think I'll go yell at someone now.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Sim
Just to clarify.......my exact words were that I dread Tuesday......I will be at the polls when they open to cast my vote AGANIST MR OBAMA.....I am dreading the day because I am afraid that Obama is going to be our next president.........I generally HOPE for the BEST and EXPECT the WORST.

Sim....you said that we send 40% of our hard earned money to the government.......I'm afraid that you are correct.....hence my statement...

I noticed that at IMTS there were a lot of finance companies there more than willing to help customers purchase machines but here at home local banks are reluctant to finance purchases that will actually generate income. In fact a banker once told me that he would be more willing to finance 2 SUV's or a house than one lathe at half the value of the house.

The IMTS was much smaller this year than in the past 20 years and another odd thing was that in the past the Machine tool builders were cutting metal. When you walked into the show you could hear milling cutters just buried up in cut, you could hear lathes spinning up to RPM, you could hear presses hammering out parts, just sent chills up my arms (Good thing) but this year the show was for the most part very very quiet.

What do you really think the results of Tuesday will be?????

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry Babb wrote:Sim
Just to clarify.......my exact words were that I dread Tuesday......I will be at the polls when they open to cast my vote AGANIST MR OBAMA.....I am dreading the day because I am afraid that Obama is going to be our next president.........I generally HOPE for the BEST and EXPECT the WORST.

Sim....you said that we send 40% of our hard earned money to the government.......I'm afraid that you are correct.....hence my statement...
Harry: no need to clarify I understood you very well.

When I am frustrated I tend to get even more sarcastic. Which is pretty much my answer as to the outcome of this election. I was not a McCain enthusiast to begin with, but he was the best choice left and I was pulling for him. That last debate he really shot himself in the foot by going all "willy nilly" with Mr Obama.

If your going to suggest Obama is friends with a terrorist then you best back up your accusations, from what has been dug up I think McCain had some pretty strong arguments, but he just went with " I don't care about washed up terrorist..."

If your going to accuse Obama of funding wrongfull voting practices, you have to do more then make rerferences...

If your going to make a stand on the redistubution of wealth, well you might want to mention a business doing 250,000.00 a year is not doing all that great when your overhead is 250,000.00. You may want to mention if you tax the wealthy, they will either relocate, find new loopholes or charge more for the services and products they provide. Or they will have mass layoff's...gee who pays for laid off people...Oh Wait I know... I pay for them!

If your going to make slur's about Obamas character, well you better stand up those as well. Obama sat in Rev Wrights church for some 20 years, married him, baptised his kids and He didn't know or understand the mans teachings...

Yeah I'll vote against Obama, but can't say I'm really voting for McCain because he was so...well I'll say politically correct. But do we want a President who will back down to another candidate...don't think so. I'll give President Bush this, he stands up for what he believes in. I may not always agree with his decisions, but give him kudo's for that anyway.

Lot's of people want stuff for nothing, hopefully there are more that want to earn a living. We shall see.