bertram rollover question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

daydreams

bertram rollover question

Post by daydreams »

I know all bertrams [deep v's] are known to rock and the 28 is said to be extremely unsteady. My question is how likely is a 28' to roll over if overtaken by a large beam roller compared to a 31' or a 33' bertram or maybe a 29' pheonix.
I expect to have this boat for many years but I wonder how safe my family is in this boat. Thanks Gary
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Gary- I have been on 28's in some rough conditions and I own and run a 31 for 30+ years. Your concern about rollover is unfounded as the rolling aspect of both only appears when drifting on a not-so-nice day. Sometimes uncomfortable? Yes, but never to the point of safety. I wouldn't put a big tower on one if I owned it as it would only add to the roll-at-drift condition. Your 28 is built like a tank and is a helluva lot safer than a lot of newer pieces of boating crap that are being peddled at atrocious prices. In fact, your 28 has more family living space and comfort than a 31. I'd have to say it's even dryer than a 31, just doesn't have it's pinache. No boat is perfect, but our Bertrams come close. The guys I know in our group that own 28's are hard core offshore fishermen. They'd never consider doing that in anything that has even the slightest possibility of a rollover. I'm sure you'll be hearing from some of them. Walter
scooter28

Post by scooter28 »

i would comment but dont think i could say it any better than walter.
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Thanks for the resssurance. I am rebuilding a 28 but have never been on one [on a 31 yes]. I recently heard a story where a 28 was said to have flipped while fishing the moriches inlet [known to be a nasty inlet]. I am a firm believer of don't believe anything you hear and only 1/2 of what you see. Thanks again Gary
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

What you may have heard was a 31 Bertram that flipped in Moriches (I think) inlet many years ago. It had a very tall tuna tower that was made of stainless steel piping that was much heavier than a similar tower made of aluminum would have been. The inquest found that the weight of the tower was a major contributing factor to the tragic accident. I am sure water/wind/tide conditions and perhaps piloting errors were factors, too. If I am not mistaken (and I could be), it happened on going out, not returning, so I'd also throw in a judgement factor in the decision to leave rather than wait for a more advantageous tidal/inlet condition. Walter
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Give me a call and I'll take you for ride. I think you'll be pleased with the boats performance. If you're planning on fishing in the surf zone, well, you're on your own. Other than that the boat handles well in all sea conditions while under way and at anchor. It shows its beam to the sea on the drift and rolls quite a bit but that can be lessened with a drouge.
The bay is real snotty today, northeast winds gusting to 30mph. Call me at 631-258-6804 and we'll put her through her paces.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Its good to hear all the good news about the 28 [the ugly 28 so I hear].
I have wanted one since I was a kid [about 40 years ago].
Ed a run would be great but only if you're going to run the boat anyway [dont do it just for me]. Today the tides up and I can't get out of my driveway. My # is 516 795-2629 if you decide to go for that run and wouldn't mind company. Thanks Gary
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Gary- I have been on 28's in some rough conditions and I own and run a 31 for 30+ years. Your concern about rollover is unfounded as the rolling aspect of both only appears when drifting on a not-so-nice day. Sometimes uncomfortable? Yes, but never to the point of safety. I wouldn't put a big tower on one if I owned it as it would only add to the roll-at-drift condition. Your 28 is built like a tank and is a helluva lot safer than a lot of newer pieces of boating crap that are being peddled at atrocious prices. In fact, your 28 has more family living space and comfort than a 31. I'd have to say it's even dryer than a 31, just doesn't have it's pinache. No boat is perfect, but our Bertrams come close. The guys I know in our group that own 28's are hard core offshore fishermen. They'd never consider doing that in anything that has even the slightest possibility of a rollover. I'm sure you'll be hearing from some of them. Walter

As scooter28 said, Walter said it all.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I need to burn off a few gallons of gas before the winter layup so any excuse for a ride is go time. I'm working midnights and generally get up around 2:00pm, any time after that is good with me.
The weather looks to be improving a bit so a bay ride might not be that impressive, but I've found the most violent roll this boat experiences is from a boat wake. Offshore sea conditions, although constant, pale in comparison to the mayhem a 40'searay wake causes when drifting the edge of a channel.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Gary

Like all the guys have said, no worry on these boats. The 31 or the 28. I believe the 28 snaps on a role when drifting in a beam sea, but never heard of one rolling over unless like Walter said, a tower was added. We have had our 31 for 33 years. We have run Barnegat Inlet in the old days when the thing was just one breaker after another. Three of us on the bridge, and I could swear one day we were over so far I thought it was going, but just came right back up and then just on into the next one.

Don't worry enjoy it. It will always bring you home.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bertrams roll on the drift and when trolling in beam seas, no getting around that. They roll like crazy on days other boats seam to be steady.

Then on days when everyone is rolling you will see the Bertam only goes over so far then snaps back while others will go over a bit more and hang there...hang there..hang...then come back.

I'll take the rolling over the hanging.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Its not going to roll over. Ive done some pretty stupid things with my 31 in conditions when nobody was out and its my thought that it would be almost imposible to roll it over, even if you wanted to.
John B

Post by John B »

Walter hit the nail on the head. I have had my 28 out in some NASTY stuff in the 11 years I have owned her and She always got me home safe. The 28 will snap on the drift in a 2-3 foot sea, but when they get bigger it gets better. The snap is not as bad as long as the boat is moving such as trolling. I have fished both the 28 & 31 and never felt unsafe. :-D
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Thanks all the replys were great to hear [you guys dont work for bertram do ya? only kidding. I have done all of the structural repairs now I'm looking for engines. If I work over the winter [this economy] it will get wet this spring.

Ed, I will call you soon. Thanks
luis

Post by luis »

One time I was stoped waiting for more boats to join on a journey out on the entrance of river Tagus(Lisbon) and a tug passes with some speed making 2 or 3 waves very powerfull. My 31 take the waves aside and the guys on the other boats they say they saw first one propeller out of the water and then the other propeller also out of the water and this for 2 or 3 times. And finish. Even the coffee pot that was on the stove stays in place.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Luis!

I tried that once, and had coffee everywhere. Your stove must be in the perfect position! Like a ball in a lacrosse stick, being cradled!

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

I think the worst I was in I was trolling for bass late October, kinda rough tight seas, but quartering the seas it wasn't ALL that bad...but when I got into a nice fish I took the boat outta gear and she just drifted in the beam sea. When I finished the boat looked like it went to hell and back. Tackle boxs went flying off the motor boxs and hooks, leaders crimps spoons you name it were all over the place. My galley "forgetaboutit" the bottles that where on the teak bottle rack by the window where on the floor, the cabinets opened up and emptied out onto the floor. The fridge shelf collapsed so when I opened the door everything went onto the floor. It was such a mess, but what did I care I just grinned put the boat back in gear, put the lines out for another fish.
luis

Post by luis »

Dug wrote:Luis!

I tried that once, and had coffee everywhere. Your stove must be in the perfect position! Like a ball in a lacrosse stick, being cradled!

Dug
The stove is good but it seems that my wife also give a litle help.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ah ha... so you cheated with " Pot Holders ".

Good deal Luis! I like that idea, then again I would need a stove first.

I had my bottles in a rack and they still fell. Guess I should have attached the rack to something instead of just propping it up by the window...

Carl
luis

Post by luis »

Since the time I was serving in the navy, I learn to attach everything on bord before going out, no matter where. However on a pleasure boat we tend to give space for things to happen. I relearn to do it on a boat I have before the 31, (a 8 mts. sailing boat), some years ago. Going out on a weekend, I put my son's car (on that time with 3 years, now a baby with 25 years), just there, aside. A lost wave together with a bord change just put the baby's car down on the water and sunk.(without the baby - offcourse). And this was so... that till now I keep on attaching everything, just in case. Is the same with life jackets, when we go out we always dress the small life jackets just in case, and also relearned, because of another story with my daughter (12years on that time)that always like to have it dressed and save her life one time when she fall from the same sailing boat. It takes about 25 minutes to recover her but safe and sound thanks to that. Now its only funny stories to remember, thanks God.
Have fun
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

luis wrote:Since the time I was serving in the navy, I learn to attach everything on bord before going out, no matter where. However on a pleasure boat we tend to give space for things to happen. I relearn to do it on a boat I have before the 31, (a 8 mts. sailing boat), some years ago. Going out on a weekend, I put my son's car (on that time with 3 years, now a baby with 25 years), just there, aside. A lost wave together with a bord change just put the baby's car down on the water and sunk.(without the baby - offcourse). And this was so... that till now I keep on attaching everything, just in case. Is the same with life jackets, when we go out we always dress the small life jackets just in case, and also relearned, because of another story with my daughter (12years on that time)that always like to have it dressed and save her life one time when she fall from the same sailing boat. It takes about 25 minutes to recover her but safe and sound thanks to that. Now its only funny stories to remember, thanks God.
Have fun

That is a parent's nightmare. Thank God you had the jacket on her. I always make mine, 13, 12, and 3, wear their PFD on the boat. Offshore I'm a real pain in the neck.