West Atlantis Canyon

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bob H.

West Atlantis Canyon

Post by Bob H. »

Took a ride out to West Atlantis, thanks for the tip Brewster, fish were there, loaded up on big Mahis and boated a 70lb yellow fin, what made the trip was trolling along side Dugs Alchemy. Very nice ride Dug...loved watching it troll along side big Vikings and Oceans and and sit low and mean as the others rolled around. We landed the yellowfin when we were right next to you guys. Cant wait to get out there again..
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I was wondering if you guys ever got out there. How was the wind/water? Did Dug do well too? Walter
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Walter, Wind wasnt bad, nice temp break just to the west, we did better on the troll more towards atlantis, up on the flats a bit on the cooler side. Not sure how Dug made out. I know we hit some heavy rain and NE wind on the way in, Dug was heading to Block Island, and had to run right into it.
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

going wed to thurs overnite to break in west atlantis. be on 68 and 10
Dug

Post by Dug »

Sorry for the delay in posting. In my haste to get home on Sunday night, I forgot my briefcase and computer at my parents house. This is my first opportunity to get there.

Bob! What were you on? It was a great day, wasn't it!

We did well as well, but one of the high points of the trip of course was that I was honored to host Steve Miller of Storm Petrel fame on this trip! Great to have Steve aboard, and the crew worked very well together!

We got what I think was a yellowfin, but every one else thinks was a bluefin overnight that was about 120 lbs. About 3 am. Then a fat albacore in at about 5:30 am. Both on the chunk.

And a couple Mahi overnight on the chunk.

We drifted. Those who did tie off did much better with the mahi.

By the time we headed for the barn we had the yellow (blue) fin, 4 albies, and 4 mahi. Great trip.

We did hit the rain, but somehow threaded the needle to avoid the most intense stuff. God I love my Sirius satellite weather!!!! Awesome.

Bob, did you see the floating freezer? Brewster, beware, there is a huge floating freezer out there...

Dug
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dug, I was on the Billfish with Elliott Brais, I believe he was checking in with Steve on fishing conditions. Yea the freezer was a sight, we trolled around it but no takers. One guy said he left his ex wife in there.... Good luck Brewster....We were marking so much bait at one point the screen had no room for fish...BH
Dug

Post by Dug »

Cool! Nice Ocean. Yes, Steve and Elliot were conversing regularly. Too fun.

I heard the ex-wife comment. Was that you perchance?
Brewster Minton

Well it was some trip. Took Garry Caputi, Damon,and John for the overnite. Got there fine fished in 71 degree water filled with bait all day. 4pm forcast changed everything.SW 15 to 20 gusts to 25 smallcraft warning. We pull up lines at 415pm and start the 97 mile run home. Get to inside the tailes by dark 645pm waves building. 50 miles out and we are slowed down to 17knts. Next thing we are going 10 knts then 8 then 6 start cavitating off every wave at 40 miles out. I change course and run the 25 miles down sea to Montauk. Waves from the southwest we surfed falling off 30 to40 degrees every wave and it got worse closer we got to the lighthouse. By the time we came into Montauk it was 1145pm 7 hours to get in. Tied up at Montauk Marine Basin at the fuel dock and spent the nite there. Broke or lost a long list of stuff. Live bait well ripped off the back of the boat. Broke rigger wires on both riggers. Lost one GPS and the screen for the FLIR camera. Broke the mount on the chair across from mine. Garry said we broke all the stuff that was not allready broken to start with. The boat did a great job and brought us home safe. I checked the bouy 25miles SW of Montauk and at 10pm the waves were 10 foot winds 28 knts gust to 33. Thats right where we were. It sucked. We did not catch anything but a beating. leave to go again Sat.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

God, that sounds awful! I assume you ran back to Shinnecock in the AM. In cases like that, don't be afraid to call me at home. I'd drive out and pick you up. A hot shower, some food and a clean bed would have you starting in the am in better shape. The guys making those weather predictions are the same ones who are predicting global warming and rising waters in 100 years. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a new Ice Age instead! Walter
Brewster Minton

Walter we almost called but didnot. Thank for the invite. Hopefully I wont have to take you up on it. I dont know if Garry is going to write anything about the trip. He said he wanted to go again.
neil

Post by neil »

brewster we are glad your home safely,gary lives right around the corner from us,i will call him to bust his chops.mark will be out in the hudson sat. hope all is well ,bye the way jr wants a tshirt from your store and he is waiting for his no bananas sticker thanks neil and jr
Dug

Post by Dug »

Damn Brew, glad we weren't out in that. Running with the waves ripped one of my docking lights out, but that was the extent of it.

What a ride it must have been for you! Sorry you didn't come home with anything to show for the effort, but you always have the story!

Dug
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Brewster, Glad you made it home, that must have been one hell of a ride in the dark...6 knots in ten foot seas...like my dad always said after returning from a nasty trip, " sea trial #159, she got us home again, this boat never ceases to amaze me". 37' Bertram, Westwater. The things we do to catch fish.....BH