underwater metal anti fouling

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

sandygold

underwater metal anti fouling

Post by sandygold »

we recently had to hawl our 31 to clean the amazing growth of barnacles
from every square inch of underwater metal. Would appreciate any ideas
regarding anti fouling treatment to shafts, rudders, props etc. so we can avoid the problem in the future.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I'm right across the Raritan in Great Kills so I know what you mean. Them things are growing like wildfire.

Anyway, Straight from Interlux.

-Clean All Metal till Brite and Shiny
-Wipe all metal with Vinegar
-Three coats of Barrier Coat
-Paint with Hard Antifoul Bottom Paint, such as Unepoxy

My friend did this on his last boat and it worked great, he did it on the boat he has now and is working great. Boat has been idle for long periods of time and the hardware is still clean.

Me on the other hand, way too lazy to bother doing all that work. I clean up the shafts and coat with what I have on hand or leave bare. Then make it a point to dive in and scrap a little if I have long periods of non-use or feel boat is sluggish.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I did the clorinated primer, followed by two part metal primer and two coats of bottom paint. Interlux and Pettit both make these products. Follow the directions closely, especially as to overcoat times. It worked great fro two years. The bottom paint did not come off or "die" the way it usually does on metal.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
gplume

Post by gplume »

For struts and rudders I went the barrier coat route. Prime wash - Interprotect 2000 3 coats - my std bottom paint. (Micron CSC)

Year 1 I went bare on props and struts,,with a couple of scrape jobs.
Year 2 I went with propspeed. Clean so far (as of Labor day weeknd)
Giff
gplume

Post by gplume »

Correction - props and shafts
Giff
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Giff

Did you strip the interprotect off before using the Propspped.
Carl

Post by Carl »

I would not have expected an ablative to hold up, by definitaion it is supposed to wear away. Then again I will smear up the shafts and props with it too from time to time.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I used Petit Ultima SR ablative paint and it stayed on everywhere except the blade roots. Granted, I do not use the boat as much as some here.

The Tie Coat Primer was Petit 6627 and the barrier was Interlux
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Really...I learn some-ting new everyday.

I hear you about not using the boat like you would like to...I wish I could blame it on the fuel prices too. But that is just not the case, it just seems like there is not enough hours in the day.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Guys-

Slight misunderstanding.

Rudders and struts got the prime wash, interprotect (actually 4 coats...now that I thinks about it.), and then 3 coats of Micron CSC (1 marker 2 topcoat). The only reason I used the ablative paint was out of pure ignorance ....didn't know I should use a hard coat, and thats what i painted the bottom with. That said, 2 seasons, and it is holding up fine, so I don't think I will change...bear in mind i cruise @ 15-17 knots.

Shafts and props were just sanded perfectly clean for the first year...low to "moderate" growth (nothing excessive), and i sat half the year finishing the project..and with other issues (blown tranny).

Year 2 (this year), I had the props redone, and shafts trued. They looked so nice, I had to put something on them,,,so I used propspeed. The shafts and props are still perfectly clean after most of a season. The propspeed is expensive, but it works.

For refernce, my dyna plate (uncoated) ground is a major barnicle habitat

Hope this clears things up.

Best Regards
Giff
Giff
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Giff

That's helpgull. Thanks.