Bulhhead ideas needed and 2 31's at my pier

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

joeh

Bulhhead ideas needed and 2 31's at my pier

Post by joeh »

Gang,

I live on weems creek in Annapolis. I own Slainte, the second boat that John Patnovic rebuilt and happen to have his first refit "Caroline" at my pier which is for sale. See listing below. I am looking forward to get to know some of the 31 local after my wife delivers our second boy shortly. Stop by if anyone wants to see the boat. I am not the broker, I just thought you all might think it was cool and might like to see the boats.

http://www.marinesource.com/interyacht/ ... =770001176

Now for a question....Slainte has the soft, snap down bulkhead and plexi windows. It is not a tight fit and I am not ready to invest in a solid bulkhead. Does anybody have any good solution to seal the area with a soft solution? Thanks, this site is great.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I have the Sportsfisherman that has an open back. My canvas goes from the top underside of the bridge over both engine boxes and snaps down at the bottom of them. I have a zippered door in the center. Each of the three pieces (when the door is unzippered) has two straps above them so that when each is rolled up they stay up, which is where they stay when I run the boat. Closed, everything is zipped up and snapped down. Entry for other than running is by unzipping the center door, rolling up and strapping above. Walter
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

put new snaps in to make it tight. if you can
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If you just want a bulkhead make it out of soft goods. Use white flexible plastic track and heat it with a gun to conform with each outboard curve. The clear panel would use zippers to attach to the track and you could add tension using murphy or lift-a-dot style fasteners on the bottom. Attach the fasteners to the weather side of the engine bulkhead.
Add zippers to each inboard panel where the door would be and build a clear door or do it half clear and half stamoid.
Piece of cake.
If its protection your looking for then go for the palm beach cover.

Just some thoughts.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Welcome Joe!!!

Congrats on your B31 and soon to be new arrival. If you're delivering in Annapolis General, its a nice place, where we delivered our 2 girls.

As for the bulkhead, I'd second resetting the snaps or perhaps taking a tuck in material. You'd probably be able to find a local shop who can do the work if you ask around.

btw, I'm up in Pasadena (northern part, just south of Baltimore), in Nabbs Creek just off the Patapsaco. We're due for a Bay get-together, perhpas this fall we can get something going.

br,
JohnD
Mack

Post by Mack »

Joe-
Greetings! I am the guy in Annapolis that corresponded with you via email a few months ago just after you purchsed the boat.

I remember seeing how your "bulkhead" canvas was done and wondered how it worked in heavy weather. My configuration is similar to Walter's- canvas goes over engine boxes and keeps everything nice and dry. A good option rather than adding a fixed bulkhead.

Feel free to stop by and look at my boat if you like. My slip is in Lake Ogleton near the mouth of the Severn. If you go through the channel to Ogleton, there will be a B31 on a lift right in front of you (that is not me). My marina is on the far left side. The boat name is "MAKO."

We are running the boat up to Rock Hall on Saturday for their "fall festival" (yes this a family outing, not a fishing trip). Feel free to join us on the run up there. If you can't make it we should plan on hooking up before the end of the season.

Cheers
Crae
John F.

Post by John F. »

Joe-

Welcome. Nice boats. I'm local to you also, over on Kent Island. I hope to see you out there--look for a white B31 with black trim--the "Anna E."

John F.
joeh

Post by joeh »

Thanks everyone! I have the soft bulkhead now but want it to be more tightly sealed. I ultimately want a hard bulkhead put in but I have gotten qoutes of about 5K to do it.

If anyone would like to give me and install a nice bulkhead and door on my boat for free...let me know.

Mack,

I would definately like to get together but the trips are getting tight with the new baby coming. I would love to bring my boat to meet yours soon though.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

I have seen your boat beside the Weems creek bridge. She's pretty from the street. I'm in Arnold 4 lights up Rt 2 on the Magothy River. I end up in Hero's from time to time, we should all meet for a beer !
Doug Crowther
410-353-8240
joeh

Post by joeh »

Doug,

I would love to get together soon, at Heroe's or on the water. My cell is 630-258-0794