Off topic

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

Off topic

Post by Russ Pagels »

Speaking of guns I was thinking of buying a black gun. has any one shot a DPMS Panther sportical 5.56 carbine? this months American Rifleman gave it a good review and the price is rignt. I think I should get one before they change the laws again. thanks again for your help.
Russ Pagels

off topic

Post by Russ Pagels »

thanks Bruce, now what sighting system, iron, red dot? some of the red dots are very expensive. what do you recomend..thanks russ
randall

Post by randall »

bruce....i wish i knew as much about anything as you know about firearms.
randall

Post by randall »

[quote="Bruce"]Yea well unless a new revolution breaks out, that knowlege and 2.50 will get me a cup of coffee.

um......the way this week is going...nothing would surprise me
Russ Pagels

off topic

Post by Russ Pagels »

bruce,thanks for the info. I'll buy it with iron sights and go from there.Randall you are right about the way things are going. a few hand guns, shot guns,long guns,and alot of ammo,just as good as the fdic.
randall

Post by randall »

the thing that is for most in my mind at the moment is a conversation i had with my dad 25 years ago. having survived 56 combat missions and getting shot down, coming home to various forms of discrimination and rising above and past it all....he had a bedrock faith in America and her institutions. when discussing the possibility of wide spread bank failures and the inability of the gov't to cover the debt his thought was "if that happens you are going to have bigger problems than money". i find it utterly bizarre that this is even remotely a possibility.

buy more ammo.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall
I have the same feelings of despair......

All I have ever done is WORK and expand my business and only a few years ago did I ever start saving for retirement.......the account manager at Wachovia Investments tells me that I will have serious tax consequenses if I cash in before age 59......whats a girl to do???? If you leave it (money) in the account who's to say it will not get squandered away by irresponsible air heads before I reach retirement age.

I remember reading here on this board....one of us....stated that its not smart to help raise a flag aboard a ship of fools.......investing in this economy makes me think of that.....

I am of the thought that the more you produce and the better your service the more you should get paid....earlier this year minimum wage was increased! ! ! not a real problem butttttt......have you noticed any improvment in the services that you get from minimum wage workers.....its still a struggle to get decent service from Burger King or Waffel House around here..........

A couple of guys here at work have received letters from Country Wide Morgage saying that one of their employees was caught selling personal information, (SS# Address etc) to other companies so they fired the employee..........I say Wooptie F%*$ing Dooo.......the SOB should go to prision....but I guess it would be to offensive to actual call a spade a spade.

Costa Rica is looking pretty good right now ! ! !

Harry
hb
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Bruce wrote:I figured God was trying to tell me that some people were just too stupid to own a gun.
That sounds familiar

:)
capy

Re: off topic

Post by capy »

Russ Pagels wrote:bruce,thanks for the info. I'll buy it with iron sights and go from there.Randall you are right about the way things are going. a few hand guns, shot guns,long guns,and alot of ammo,just as good as the fdic.
I had an AR15 and sold it, Something about powder and propellant gases fouling the action with every shot just rubs me the wrong way. Direct gas impingement has been made to work for a semiautomatic rifle but I prefer a piston to cycle my action

My "black rifle" is an armalite AR180B, it shoots far better than my rock river AR15 ever did.

Check em out, I paid $615 for mine 5 years ago, and they are about half the cost of a comparable AR15 or AR18

randall

Post by randall »

harry...ill be 61 the day after election day...ive been paying down my IRA....but guess what...the paydown is income. tax defered is not tax free. i basically have almost my entire financial future in the hands of the FDIC. i took the "safe" route. (well theres real estate and disney stock....but if the dollars worth almost zip?)

sorry for the rant and highjack......maybe ill clean the mini 14 this afternoon to get back on track
Russ Pagels

off topic

Post by Russ Pagels »

Capy, thanks for the inputdid I have not done my homework on this yet,does direct gas impingment mean that they are having the same problem that the first gen. m16 had with fowling in the 1960's?and yes Randall it is the end of the world as we knew it.no more bmw,s, large homes,ect. the bank is closed. get more ammo and steel sheets with gun slits for the windows.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Have used Bushmaster and Colt. The one and only problem I encounterdduring many thousands of rounds fired was an easy fix. Bushmaster does not do a good job steaking the gas tube to the bolt carrier and the two bolts will get loose after a lot of abuse. It is an wasy fix though. simply tighten them with alan wrench and steak them yourself.
My colt commando with the 10.5 inch barrel was a great gun...state issued. Off the record I wanted tosee how long I could go before jamming. Several different trips to the range and offshore shooting without cleaning. Got tired of the people that watch history channel saying how bad of design it was and that they alljam. I just added oil before and after I shot it each time and never had a failure to fire or extract. When I finally armored the gun it was extremely filthy and was surprised I never had a failure. Cleaned lubed with tranny fluid, you are right Bruce it is the greatest, and reassembled.
botom line is if you take care of it there will be few problems. If you abuse it but understand what makes it work, you will still have very few problems. Lubrication is the key in my opinion. In a bind you can dump anything that is liqued into it and it will help.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce do you think the heat caused expansion has more of a effect on a perfectly clean weapon?? m-60 jams when it gets hot.i think headspacing changes or some other part.barrel becomes so hot you can`t touch.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Greg A.

Post by Greg A. »

Spent 2 weeks this past spring at Ft Dix Army base, 1 for assault rifle instructor school and the 2nd for subgun instructor. Lots of guns there, the DPMS was the ticket. I used a borrowed Bushmaster from another agency, and it went down twice.

When I got home from school, go figure, my depts rifle showed up. Heckler and Koch 416 wth 10.5" barrel full auto. We also received several H&K UMP subguns in .40 cal, also full auto. Went with the Eotec Holographic sight, uses aa batteries and a surefire light with pressure switch on the vertical foregrips. Needless to say, H&K makes SWEET weapons. The 416 is an absolute AWESOME gun to shoot, 650 rds per minute, easy to control and accurate. Have about 1000 rounds through it.
randall

Post by randall »

i keep trying to explain that to caren.......she is always mystified that things break. if its a mechanical device that has at least one moving part....it will eventually break.....hell ,ive even broken a few with no moving parts (levers).......of course the exception to the rule is old toyota pick ups...........they never break.
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

randall wrote:of course the exception to the rule is old toyota pick ups...........they never break.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/433698/un ... _top_gear/

this is the final episode in their quest to destroy one...if you can find the others, it's a fun watch
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Well, I guess that proves Randall's point. Walter
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Randall's just rust away!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

My Obama investment strategy involved some lowers, a RRA Varmit upper, and more recently, a 6.5 upper. Figure to also build an old school A2 and a Car-15 to round it out.

Watch out boys. If Nov. goes badly, figure another AWB but without all the loopholes.

I am also going long on primers and powder.
randall

Post by randall »

Rawleigh wrote:Randall's just rust away!!

it was still runnin fine when i sold it....OK runnin fine on 3 cylinders till it warmed up.....but how many trucks could you use for five years as daily transport with a blown head gasket.......you cant kill em.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Well I placed my order for the DPMS panther, pick it up next week. next question,best place to buy ammo price wise 1000 rd. at a time, and any brand come to mind? I thought I had read some where that there was a difrence between 5.56 x45 mm and .223 rem.thanks for the help Russ
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Thank you Bruce.I think you just about covered everthing.thanks
randall

Post by randall »

thanks...learned a little there too.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce,

Any recommendations for good websites to buy shotgun ammunition online?

Dug
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Bruce,
a buddy has a bunch of tracer. I told him I thought it was bad for the barrel. Not sure the exact reasons though. Would I be correct in assuming that tracer ammo is like dragging a lit sparkler through the barrel?
Also, still pondering the thought of getting a BA50 or something similar. The closer we get to November the more I think re directing cash from boats and cars to guns. Any thoughts on the former Cobb/BA 50?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for the explanation on the tracer/incindiary.
I did say investment when I think I meant for self insurance/survival purposes. Like a boat or a car is an investment......right! I would love to have the semi auto Barrett but 8-10k is not in the cards.
Also, what you are saying about law is if they ban the guns and no g father clause they come to your door? I did not realize california was that bad.
How about the FN 57, you think that one is on the list? A buddy has one and he bought a case of the plinking rounds with it. He also got his hands on some ss191 and ss192 at 600 bucks per 50. He thinks he will be able to sell it down the road and make money on it. I told him in my opinion he was going to lose on that one.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Kinda had my guard up with the registration ideas.
5.7 was way to expensive in my opinion. Trying to tank bust with little pistol not really practical and hot +p+ 9 mm will go thru body armor for less money.
Always milled around the idea of getting AK because they were cheap and shoot the heavier round.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce,

Birdshot, both waterfowl and turkey. Also clay pigeons. 12 gage.

Dug
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

A couple of years ago I picked up one of the Romanian AK's and 1600 rounds of Wolf ammo. You never know when you might need it!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Greg A.

Whaler deal?

Post by Greg A. »

There was some walk on whalers recently. Last week I drove from NJ to VA to look at a 15ft super sport. 1988 hull, 1992 70hp mercury. Was told it was in great shape and worth the ride.

Found it to be in excellent shape. No spider cracks in the gelcoat, strong engine, bimini top, no paint ANYWHERE, wood in great shape, trailer was sound, but needing new rollers. His asking price was $4995...I got it for $4500.

How did I do? I though it was fair.
Carl

Re: Whaler deal?

Post by Carl »

Greg A. wrote:There was some walk on whalers recently. Last week I drove from NJ to VA to look at a 15ft super sport. 1988 hull, 1992 70hp mercury. Was told it was in great shape and worth the ride.

Found it to be in excellent shape. No spider cracks in the gelcoat, strong engine, bimini top, no paint ANYWHERE, wood in great shape, trailer was sound, but needing new rollers. His asking price was $4995...I got it for $4500.

How did I do? I though it was fair.

????

Guess you didn't mean to post here.

I'm sure you could get your money back on that deal.
coolair

Post by coolair »

Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854