Moppie 20?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Moppie 20?

Post by John F. »

OK fellas--here's the story. I've pretty much decided to hold on to my B31. The market is terrible, and I've realized that I really don't want to let her go. So, she's staying and I'll be putting a new tank in her this winter.

I still want to get a 20-21 CC to use instead of my Whaler. I've found a couple of decent boats I can get in the low-teens w/newer power, but here's the problem--

I found a 20 Moppie professionally converted to a transom mount outboard. The boat was painted and looks great, and the transom was nicely done about 10 years ago. She has a 94 Yamaha 200 that was rebuilt and runs OK. She also rides real heavy--I'm sure like every other 20 that I've seen that wasn't totally redone, the foam and stringers are wet and need to come out. Owner wants $7500.

How hard is it to take the deck out, set in new stringers, and redeck? My B31 is an ongoing project (last year windows, this year tank, etc.), and I have limited time.

Thanks-
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

John,

It is pretty comprehensive to remove the floor, stringer, foam, etc.

My opinion... I would only dig out the guts of a B20 is I was going to dump in lots of $$ for cosmetics and iron.

If the boat already looks fine and the engine runs, I would run her as is. I don't think you are going to 'hurt' anything on the boat because of wet foam. the hull layup is strong enough that you should not worry about the boat falling apart underneath you. Some folks even suggest that the B20 pre-restoration always ride better because of the weight. Alot of folks on this board have added lead weight to their 31's.

Ian.