A question from one of our sponsers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

neil

A question from one of our sponsers

Post by neil »

The gentlemen that is from interluxe has a question, he is also the guy that arranged lunch and cocktails for those of us who were lucky enough to have Brewster take us over there.

Dear Wizards ... a friend of mine is trying to decide on a Bertram 31 or a Bertram 28 in much better condition. Several questions:

1) What is the average value of a 31 in good to great shape these days with diesel power?
2) Are you aware of any good ones that are for sale?

Later ... and thanx ... jock

JWI
43 Lawton Brook Lane
Portsmouth, RI 02871
401-640-3416
jockwest@cox.net
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

neil thanks again for the bottles of rum at montauk, as far as the 28bertram is concerned they have no value on long island . i don`t know whats going down in the the rest of the nation.we have one with recent mercruiser 260hp repower for $10,000.i should think in these terrible times a stock 31bert with cummins 250hp would bring in about 75 to 90 thousand and a real custom beauty like "sea nile" should fetch 135,000 on up depending on power.of course you need a real clean boat and good presentation to sell any boat these days .the root of the problem is no bank loans on a older boat so the prepective buyer has to have other resourses.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If it is a truly turn key diesel boat with under 1000 hours on it and the engines are less than 10 years old at minimum its worth 85,000. Now understand thats 100% sokid working condition w/ good bottom and no rot in the bulkheads with a clean engine survey. It might still need paint and some other BS (to the tune of 70K)
Add a good generator and younger engines along with custom finsishing (new paint electronics chairs a/c) and the skies the limit.
For what we have done with Chimera I wouldn't blink until the offer was over 225,000.
If they choke let them build their own and then laugh when they shoot past the mark or go buy a 29ft Regulator for 150K done done new.
At close to 100k to yank motors and repaint/refinish a 31 its no longer an everyday mans game. If its clean and reliable your gonna pay. Tell your boy to tighten up his belt and look for the best one he can find. Because the cheap ones will only bite him in the ass in the end. This is of course my opinion, it and 1.50 will get you coffee in Bay Head.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

another factor to add to jp`s post .a 31bertram that has stock oem diesels like 504 cummins,3208 cat naturals, or detroit 4-53 -----old iron actually adds nothing to it`s resale value.they sell for the same amount as mercruser/cruasaders 454 with new gas tank.,both boats clean.the theory behind that is you are buying a boat that will have to be repowered but have a diesel tank and fitting and a 13/8" shaft if you are going with yanmars.i cannot use " chimera " as a example of 31bert resale value because it is one of 1850boats.new diesel power (yanmar 6ystp 315hp or cummins 330hp)would have to be value at 150thousand plus.add new electronics,generator custom paint and teak,interior and we are at 200,000.if this scares your friend neil consider this fact.---when the warranty is up (6 years)on those 27,500 dollar yamaha 350hp outboards X 3 you can`t even give the boat away.it is happening now on the center consoles with twin 250hp yamaha.nobody will touch a 4stroke out of warranty.that is why i would recommend building a diesel 31bert.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JK

Post by JK »

I'm slightly biased but think my 31 is a good deal. Completely redone with a ton of custom modifications. It's on yachtworld

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... slim=quick

And more details can be found on my website www.seanile31.com

--JK
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I have probably told a dozen people who come in the yard asking about Craig's Bertram about Sea Nile- if its half the boat it looks like in the pictures its a steal.