can I apply gelcoat with a paint brush

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

daydreams

can I apply gelcoat with a paint brush

Post by daydreams »

Hi everyone, I am up to repairing the decks along the cabin windows on my 28. [i cant believe the work that i am doing / trying to do on this boat]I would call it a project boat but their all project boats. I know that all these boats have heavy craze cracks in the toe rail but my deck actually flex and crack underfoot. I hated to walk it.
This is my last major structural repair before I find and install power.
I supported the decks from below, now I want to remove the gell from the toe rail, add 2-3 layers of strand matt then re-gelcoat. I am not good [still have a lot to learn] about glass work so I am trying to keep it to a minimum.
Can I install the gelcoat with a brush? and what do I use to smooth out before the gelcoat is applied.

I just purchesed some older electronics from a member here on long island. I figured I would get the boat set up and replace with newer stuff a little at a time. I need a cable for a Si-Tex T170 radar. Any around? Should I bother?
Thanks in advance.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I supported the decks from below, now I want to remove the gell from the toe rail, add 2-3 layers of strand matt then re-gelcoat. I am not good [still have a lot to learn] about glass work so I am trying to keep it to a minimum.
Can I install the gelcoat with a brush? and what do I use to smooth out before the gelcoat is applied.
Additional glass on the top surface will not add any significant strength. Unless you have actual fiber failures on the top, all you need to do is grind down the old gelcoat & re-apply.

If you need more strength to the deck, the fiberglass should be added to the underside. See: Basic Composite Structure in the Tips Section.

There's a basic rundown on gelcoating in the Tips Section called: Re-Gelcoating your boat. Gelcoat can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed...

Br,

Patrick
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Capt Patrick, thanks for the reply. The toe rail is badly cracked so I thought I should fill any possible cracks in the original glass with a new layer of mat and resin or the cracks may come through?
You helped me last year with my cockpit deck repair It came out great [thanks again].

I hope all is well with you.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

In that case you'll want to grind the cracked area of the toe rail down about 3/16" below grade and build the mat up to about 1/32" below grade. Fill in and fair the rest with the gelcoat. Gelcoat should be applied within 4 -6 hours for the best bond...

Br,

Patrick
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Capt Patrick, Thanks for your time I know its tiring to give the same advice over and over. But it really is appreciated.
These questions will probably give you an idea of the level of my glass knowledge.
If I grind the top down should I grind down the two sides also?
Should I stop before the deck or exactly at it?
Is two layers of 11/2 LB mat ok?
Can the mat seams overlap or butt and stager them.
How can I fair the resin prior to the gel [concerned with the round edges of the toe rail]?
I guess the mat edges have to be ground off after the inital set up. Prior to the 4-6 hour gel coat time frame.
Can the new gel coverlap the old or must they meet perfectly?
If they overlap do I need a primer?

Due to the flex in the decks there are some stress cracks on the inside corners [under the windows]. Can I lightly grind [V- grove] with a fine tool and just re-gel?

This repair does not have to be perfect, but afterall she is a bertram and therfore she should look like one.