TANK REPLACEMENT COST ( NOT TOO BAD)?????

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Davidr0007

TANK REPLACEMENT COST ( NOT TOO BAD)?????

Post by Davidr0007 »

For those of you thinking of removing your fuel tank I have done some research on cost and what it takes to remove and replace... so far I have got only one quote and I am awaiting 2 more ,That quote is appox 2000 for the tank and 1500 for labor ..The labor might seem alittle high, its' because the tank is tabbed to the hull and must be cut out in pieces . The old tank floor remains behind and is used as the seat for the new tank.The tank will be prepared as to Capt Pat's specs and coated .It will have a fuel return for future diesel install and is made of alumnium. I am located in the northeast,and I'm sure a southern boat will be alot cheaper to get done..I will keep you informed as to the other quotes.
DavidR
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

David,

As I am in Marblehead, MA, I'm curious to know from whom you're getting the quotes as I may be looking to replace the 315 gallon tank in my 33.
Regards,

Doug L.
Bulletproof

Post by Bulletproof »

Doug L, I'm in Marblehead down at Cliff St and I'm taking mine out myself today. Stop down. I can't imagine paying Trading Company to do it. That would cost a fortune. How about Dions, they replaced Quicksilver girls windshield last year and it looks great.
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA
Stuart Cooperrider

tank replacement costs

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

Bulletproof wrote:Doug L, I'm in Marblehead down at Cliff St and I'm taking mine out myself today. Stop down. I can't imagine paying Trading Company to do it. That would cost a fortune. How about Dions, they replaced Quicksilver girls windshield last year and it looks great.
Oyster Harbors Marine on Cape Cod is quoting $8,000. I'm getting aluminum tank only quotes from 1500 to 2000. This is for a 72 31FBC.
Two months ago, ordering a tank was easy. Now there's a waiting list.
-stu
Stuart Cooperrider

TANK replacement costs

Post by Stuart Cooperrider »

I'm repeating this since I'm just getting uised to the new site and suspect my first response was incorrectly placed. Oyster Harbors Marine on Cape Cod is charging eight grand for aluminum tank and labor on a 31. They are so busy they are no longer accepting any tank replacement jobs. I'm getting tank quotes through NE ranging between 1400 and 2000.
Bulletproof

I got it out on Sunday

Post by Bulletproof »

Well I managed to win the battle between me and the tank Sunday. It wasn't easy and I was very tired at the end of the day.

Of course once I cut the "no turning back" hole in the top I learned that my tank was fully lined with gel coat!!!! Great! I suppose that the ethanol eats gel coat. I bet I could have left it in there afterall.

I'm not worried about ordering the tank because I'm not going in until next summer but I'm still confused over stainless vs. aluminum. So far the only thing wrong with stainless is that the Coast Guard won't approve it for Charter vessels yet they put them in their own boats....

Has anyone actually spoke to a chemist to confirm that the ethanol etches the aluminum? Or is it the welds that gets etched. Although we in the Northeast have only had ethanol for a season or two the aluminum baffles in my tank were fine, just like new! Can someone give me the final answer on Aluminum vs. Stainless?

Have a great week!
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Paul,

If you're boat has not left New England waters in the past 2-3 years, then I doubt you've ever had any ethanol in your tanks.
Regards,

Doug L.
Bulletproof

Just the same...

Post by Bulletproof »

Hi Doug, I realize that technically I was (am) not in any immediate danger of this being a problem because I've got two new engines with a tank that would have eventually seen ethanol. I was just not willing to risk my new engine fate on the ethanol eventually eating into my fiberglass tank like everyone is worrying about.

Listen, if nothing comes of this (other than me being out $2,000) I'll get to re-do the inner hull under the tank's home. That plywood was totally rotted!!!!
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA