Bonsai - and yes she is a Bertram 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

luis

Bonsai - and yes she is a Bertram 31

Post by luis »

I know that she looks ... but is our familly boat, living every year on summer for one month, 4 residents and sometimes with more 2 or 3 guests. All around the year we spend our free time going out on weekends and now after 14 years on the water with only bottom paint one time a year, she really needs some major repairs. Already with some parts dismounted (shafts, propellers, hand rail, radar tower, etc.). I place this picture because I know that the faithfull like to know all about the B31 on the world. Her name is Bonsai, born on 1969.

Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Interesting. How do you get in and out of it?

Eddy G.
luis

Post by luis »

Eddy G wrote:Interesting. How do you get in and out of it?

Eddy G.
Normally around the actual "deck" , on top of the aft ,we have a handrail around with a opening to a stair , down to a swimming platform on the rear. And to go inside we have a stair to the top of the engine cover at BB.

jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

wow, thats a lot of people living on that boat.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I've never seen an aftercabin 31!! Is it a custom factory cabin or a one off??
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Do you have any pics of inside the back cabin area?

Eddy G.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

thats awsome. I never thought somebody would do that to a 31. not for me but thats very cool and may be the only one in the world like it
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I would be curious to see interior pics. It is kind of interesting. I agree with it seems like a lot of people for a month. Probably is one of a kind. You must need a really long gaff to get the big fish in!
luis

Post by luis »

Well, in the front cabin sleeps my daughter and husband, lowering the table on the kitchen stays my son and wife and on the aft cabin (our dining room) I stay with my wife (separate beds.... sometimes). This aft cabin have been made by the first (I believe) owner when he brought her from Mozambique. Carrying lots of fuel inside and doing a long long trip till Setubal, Portugal. This was at about 1974 (revolution ,bla,bla, old colonies,bla,bla). I saw this boat completelly abandoned on 1982,on land, used as a "WC" on a "shipyard" . I couldn't buy on that time and the previous owner buy it and change the Gas engines ( 210HP GM- I think) for the actual diesel Cummins V8 185( rebuilded on 81). The previous owner go out during one year and then always stay in the dock for the rest of the years .Then when I saw that the boat was again for sale on 1990 I clear see that it was my second and maybe last chance to have her- so I buy and just for curiosity, in my familly we all say that its not for sale no matter what or how much. When I have a chance I go to scan some pictures I have from the inside and put it here. Now she is on a familly farm and all my free time is to do all that she needs (including other engines- more economic and silent) and try to go back to the water in no more then 2 years. We are working hard but she deserves. By the way the gantry crane was made by me,my son in law and his father- nice and strong- already take the engines out.

The worst moment and I keep tied to her with my knees shacking
luis

Post by luis »

jspiezio wrote:wow, thats a lot of people living on that boat.
Living only on summer vacations, during one month. But when I get more old, me and my lady maybe we start living there more then one month per year.
luis

Post by luis »

Kevin wrote:I would be curious to see interior pics. It is kind of interesting. I agree with it seems like a lot of people for a month. Probably is one of a kind. You must need a really long gaff to get the big fish in!
I am a lousy fishermen, I only caught well on the plate. I fall a sleep with my rod waiting for the fish and people normally say that what I like is to feed the fish to be caught by a real fishermen.
randall

Post by randall »

very very interesting....thanks for posting.... how exactly are you going to get the engines out?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Now that's an express!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Interesting. This one definintely needs air conditioning. I assume the steering is in the original position. How does it handle with all the extra structure?
Harv

Post by Harv »

Definitely an interesting concept.......way cool.
Harv
luis

Post by luis »

randall wrote:very very interesting....thanks for posting.... how exactly are you going to get the engines out?
Engines out ( I should had buy an electric winch but I also need to do some gimnastics)

Last time on the crane, before going out, weights about 7 tons but still without diesel ( more or less 700 liters) and water (200 liters) so, I believe that full loaded can be about 8 tons. The normal cruising speed we use to go normally is about 15/16 knots but already made sometimes (fuel is a lot expensive and these engines drink more then I), about 28/29 knots (32 on gps). At full speed is incredible.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Now there is a 31 you don't see everyday...

Aft cabin cruisers are not my thing, as it would be very difficult to fish out the windows, but I like the lines.

Thanks for sharing!
nic

Post by nic »

Luis that is some trip from Mozambique to Portugal...she must have gone on a ship not on her own hull around Cape Horn or the Red Sea, but you said he had extra diesel? That would be the longest trip I have heard of. You have a unique Bertram 31.

You will enjoy the results when you finish the refit...goood luck!

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
luis

Post by luis »

nic wrote:Luis that is some trip from Mozambique to Portugal...she must have gone on a ship not on her own hull around Cape Horn or the Red Sea, but you said he had extra diesel? That would be the longest trip I have heard of. You have a unique Bertram 31.

You will enjoy the results when you finish the refit...goood luck!

Nic
Well,I have a description of that trip, writed by that guy on 76. He starts in Maputo (oldname:Lourenço Marques) ,Mozambique heading to South Africa, Durban;Port Elizabeth;Cape Town then he goes direct to Luanda,Angola (about 2.000 miles) (the biggest leg)and then S.Tomé e Principe where he stays for a full month. He waits for a change on winds(Alisios winds, he says) to keep on going to Monrovia,Liberia and Bissau, Guine to Dakar, Senegal and Nouadhibou, Mauritanie. Then to Lanzarote,Canary Islands where he stays for 2 weeks and then heading to Casablnca,Morocco, Cadiz,Spain and then V.R.Santo António, Portugal. In Portugal he put course to Baleeira(near Sagres), Sines and finally Setubal.
Without counting the 1 month and 2 weeks he has stopped, he says that he made about 10.000 miles in more or less 60 days . The crew was him, a brother and an oncle of his wife. The other 2 guys leave their boats back there. They only think on saving their necks, some values they bring and the precious Bertram.
I heard that the guy die with 65 years in 1994 with health and familly problems.
Hope he rest in peace.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

dam, thats some run, the little boat that could
nic

Post by nic »

Luis,

What a great story! You have a piece of world history there...and from the sounds of it she has found a very capable steward in you.

There's gotta be a book in that, thanks for letting us all know.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Luis,
Very interesting, very brave sailors for sure. Thank you for the story and if you have more details, please tell them.
Portugise sailors have been renown and admired ever since ships took to the seas.
Thanks again
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

do you have pics of the inside of the boat?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Luis

I would like to see pics of the interior also but I am more interested in your "A" frame. Looks like the horizontal member is an I-Beam cradled in channel on the ends??? Is that correct??? What size I-Beam????

Are you hoisting both engines on the "A" frame at one time???....I see 2 chain hoist hanging

Your "A" frame looks like good clean fabrication........

Harry
luis

Post by luis »

Harry Babb wrote:Luis

I would like to see pics of the interior also but I am more interested in your "A" frame. Looks like the horizontal member is an I-Beam cradled in channel on the ends??? Is that correct??? What size I-Beam????

Are you hoisting both engines on the "A" frame at one time???....I see 2 chain hoist hanging

Your "A" frame looks like good clean fabrication........

Harry
Allo Harry and Hueso , about pics from the inside I need to scan some pictures I have in paper because digital pictures only now. Now,also the inside is a "bit" disarranged. As soon as I have it I post for your knowledge. About the "A" crane, well I made it with the vertical and base on square pipe of 100mm (4mm), the angled support on square pipe of 50mm(3mm) , then on top of the vertical I soldered 50 cms of "U" 100mm(3mm) and the beam is "IPN" 120mm. I only made a mistake on the wheels that I go to replace. The actual wheels, they bend the rubber so I go to buy strong ones. I only use the big winch and one engine only (about 700 Kgs these V8's each). To avoid soldering the I beam , I use more pieces of "U" and put all together with screws and nuts. It allowed me to dismount and store it when not needed. After I put the new engines in I hope don't use this "A" crane again.I work on computers mainly software but I believe that one can made everything with some study,training,hard work and a nice cold beer to relax from times to times and the final results gives a lot of satisfaction. (not all the times but...)and its another learned thing.
My next soldering project is to make a bed cradle to place Bonsai properly looking that, maybe she need to stay out of the water for (I hope) not more then 2 years and the actuall supports are not very good. During the refitting process I'll place some pictures along the way, presenting my excuses in advance because many changes I go to made are based on images of boats belonging to friends on this sandbox.
Greetings for you all and keep safe from those Hurricanes
Luis