GUSTAV

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

scot

GUSTAV

Post by scot »

RUN Cajun friends!!!! I'm headed to Dallas. Good luck to any and all in the way of this one.

Take care guys.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Be safe guys.

Let me know if you need lodging in North West Houston. Any of the faithful will be more than welcome.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If there is anything that any of us can do or services we can provide, just ask!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Buju

Post by Buju »

Yeah guys, be safe... good luck...

Once this storm gets over that loop current, it sure as hell aint gonna weaken. All too familiar.

This wave coming off of Africa is gonna be trouble as well... and Hannah... ugh.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Good luck Scot,
As of right now the path looks like it will pass far enough west of Baldwin County Alabama that I am gonna sit tight.

I realize that the storm can change paths and come right up Mobile Bay but.......if it does not and any of you guys need a place to stay.......just gimme a hollar.....Jo Ann and I have room

Cell number 251-510-5291
Home number 251-928-0668

Vic, Andre, Capt Mike............what are your plans???

Harry
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Harry - we are sitting tight at home here in Baton Rouge. We have a diesel genset, plenty of fuel, and are about 40 ft. above sea level. Lots of trees to fall on the house, but we are staying. The boat and camp are battened down as well as we can, but now they are calling for an awful lot of water rise at the camp, over 10 feet and sure hope they are wrong. We have done all we can do at this point. We expect hurricane force winds here for about 24 hours so it is gonna get interesting tonight.

In the meantime I'm stuffing a boston butt pork roast with fresh garlic to keep the werewolves away....

UV
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

best of luck to all you guys down, you sure dont need this
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Hey Uncle Vic,

Hope all is well for the AJ on the North Shore. I'm in Terrebonne Parish and looking at the Bullseye.

I got my B28 moved up the bayou Friday night and she is tied up at the municiple Marina in Houma, just off the ICY. My Stbd. engine keeps overheating--- hope to post a troubleshooting thread after the storm passes ;-)
My B31 is a mile away on Bayou Terrebone. I'm staying in town--- just starting to cloud up-.

You still hawking that CX? I'm gonna need another case after the storm passes to stop my ass from squeaking.....

I'll email ya details in a few days when we get power and infrastructue back up.

Picking up my computers in a couple of hours.... no cooking for a few days-- too many leftovers right now.

Keeping my head low (but above the waterline) Talk at ya after the storm

Ray
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Ray
I wish you the best of luck.......just as you said.....keep your head low.

Today we went to the river and cooked a 68 pound pig and several racks of ribs in celebration of Labor Day. It was a good day.

Vic/Ray, how do you guys secure your Bertrams during a storm like this? I have had to run for protection a couple of times since I purchased DeNada but both times the storm went to the west or east of us (Ivan and Katrina)

The way I secure DeNada is to motor her into a small branch just off of the main river then tie 2 lines from the bow and 2 lines off of the stern to very large trees then pray that a tree does not fall on her.

I am very interested in knowing just how everyone else secures non trailerable boats during hurricanes.

Good luck to all

Harry
Buju

Post by Buju »

More lines... anti chaffe gear on key spots.
Tied in the middle of the creek, canal, etc.
Anticipate the majority of the wind direction, and position the bow into it.
Big plugs in the exhausts...
Batteries fully charged.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Good luck to all of you. I hope it is uneventful.

Watching the tv has all the news crews telling the nation it will be just fine... time will tell for sure.

Vic, I will think of upright trees...

Good luck all!

Dug
scot

Post by scot »

I whimped out and now I'm in Dallas, watch out for those trees UV, that's what beat the crap out of us in RITA. I believe the term is "hunker-down"

Hurricanes are like a bad plate of beans, they will eventually pass.

Good luck.
Scot
nic

Post by nic »

Dug wrote:Watching the tv has all the news crews telling the nation it will be just fine...Dug
The NOAA 10.30pm Marine Forecast in the NE Quadrant is for 105knots gusting 130knots...and yet one of the headlines is Gustav May Not Be Cat 4....

Good luck to all you guys in that area, stay safe.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, Gustav is spinning up toward us in Baton Rouge. The eye is visible on radar and is big....say 50 miles across. Weather is going downhill here and expected to get worse for the rest of the day and night. Anyway, the power is still on for now.

Harry - AJ stays parallel parked at my dock in a canal behind our camp. The canal is about 100 feet wide and lined on both sides by big trees, so the wind is not a huge issue as the trees tend to deflect it up and over. I have two vertical rubber "D" bumpers that are about 6' tall attached to vertical timbers that are bolted to the dock pilings. Normal mooring is 2 bow lines, a spring line through a pulley with a large concrete wieght, and two stern lines. The spring line keeps her centered on the bumpers, but obviously won't in a hurricane. So I add a few 3/4" nylon "storm lines" attached to the outrigger bases and the hawespipes to trees and such. She may bounce around some on the bumpers but unless we get a really incredible storm surge, say 8 feet or more, she is safe.

We shall see.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

way better than in a warehouse in NO...good luck to you and andre and the rest of the crew....and im thinking about tiger and his port eades reconstruction. got my fingers crossed.

so..marshall....hope the boats still on the hard.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Just starting to get wind gusts here in Baton Rouge.
See you guys later.
Shutting down now.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Buju wrote:Big plugs in the exhausts...

I hadn't thought of that, but typically do everything else on your list. Why the big worry with the exhausts during a storm? Because of the wave action potentially causing a leak?

Good luck fellas, especially RAWicklund - looks like you were correct and are on the edge of the eye in Terrebonne Parish as I type this.
In Memory of Vicroy

Getting pretty windy here in Baton Rouge....live shots on TV from New Orleans of waves breaking over the floodwall on the Industrial Canal at the SeaBrook Marine shipyard....yep, where AJ was during Katrina. There is a B31 in the same warehouse right now on blocks....hope she floats.

As for Port Eads......the pilot station at Southwest Pass (16 miles west of PE) shows steady winds in the 70+ kt range and gusts to 102 kts.

Still have power and internet, but the rain bands are getting a lot stronger and tornados all over the place.

UV
John F.

Post by John F. »

Hang in there fellas. Hope it all goes well.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

UV: Good luck to you and Andre!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I keep watching the weather reports and reading the posts here but feel so damn helpless to do anything. All I can do is send my best wishes and good vibes to all you who are in the path of Gustav. I hope you all will be OK!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory of Vicroy

Whoa Nellie!!!!! winds up to 100+ at my house, trees falling like matchsticks. Power out, genset running, internet still working. 80' elm tree by the house leaning away (good thing) from the house & hung up in an oak tree at about a 45....now we having fun and the eye wall is about to hit us shortly..... wind not howling, its screaming like a million banshees.....worst I've ever been in and this ain't my first rodeo.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

hang in UV

sean....if you get a lot of water in the bilge those holes in the stern aint going to help. the water will be glad to run in any opening it can find. i have lab beaker toppers that fit mine perfectly.
chris pague

Post by chris pague »

UV hang in and if possible keep us up to date
God Speed Chris
In Memory of Vicroy

Internet went out, now back on. Guys, we lost all but one of our huge trees around the house....good news is only one hit the house and that was a glancing blow, did little damage. 850,000 customers w/o power in coonassland. Will be weeks til the power comes back....all streets blocked by fallen trees. I'll need a crane or two and a gang of chain saws to even get out of my driveway. On top of it all, one of the big trees hit so hard it broke the main water supply to my sprinkler system and probably cracked the main water supply line to the house....we talking a big ass tree and a huge thudddddd. I was able to cut off the sprinker valve but still have a small leak somewhere.

The pork roast was real good.....time for a clear or 12....this ain't no fun at all. On the other hand, no one got hurt that I know of and I have 275 gallons of diesel, about 3 weeks worth.

UV
Harv

Post by Harv »

Vicroy wrote:....we talking a big ass tree and a huge thudddddd.

UV
What was Timmy doing down there?
Glad you weathered this one out safely.
Harv
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

UV,
At least you guys wern't injured which we are all grateful for. If I lived closer, I'd be there with my chain saw, but I'm not so, I will have a couple of clears for you. Good luck and god's speed in your recovery.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

UV: Glad to hear you are Ok. I know how hard it is to clean up from a smaller storm than Gustav, so I know you have your work cut out for you. Take it easy and be careful! Cutting storm felled trees is EXTREMELY dangerous. I did a lot of it and it still scares me! It is also darned hard work! Take care! Sorry about the trees, but it could have been a lot worse! I hope AJ is OK too! Your friend Rawleigh.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

uv glad no one got hurt, guess the line crews from the north east will be spending some time down there.
scot

Post by scot »

Hang in there Uncle Vic, sounds like RITA over here (the forgotten Hurricane). N/O hasn't gone under yet so it's safe to say that the news crews will all be gone by Wednesday...while all you guys fight like hell for a month just to get electricity.

I'm headed back to Orange Tuesday, looking like we only get a glancing blow, if you need something delivered from Texas let me know (once they let us in!).

Damn I'm tried of this, I see a storm shettler in my future. 2ft thick concrete walls, generator and a big ass AC unit.

It get's better, hang in there! About a week w/o power will test a man in this part of the country....at 2 or 3 weeks you get used to it, and just don't care anymore. The beard grows long and you go feral. LOL.

Let me know if I can help.
Scot
Dug

Post by Dug »

Jeeez guys sounds like quite a rodeo!

If I can help in any way, just ask.

Dug
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Has anyone had any further word on how Doug is doing?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
GaryG

Post by GaryG »

I have not logged in the site in a while... was thinking of you guys in the hurricane track. I am glad to hear that so far everyone is ok. I hope you all find your boats and property in similar condition.

UV, sounds like you may have a lifetime supply of firewood!

Gary
Matt Holcomb

UV

Post by Matt Holcomb »

I spoke with UV today by phone. He wanted all you to know that he, Miss Elaine and Another Joy weathered the storm without incident. He is on diesel generator but has no cable/internet access. All the large trees in his yard were blown down, but the house is OK>

He said tell all yall to have a clear on him.

Matt

P. S. The Pipe Dream weathered the storm just up the Tickfaw from Vic's camp. Its fine.......a hell of a lot better than the old Pipe Dream after Katrina......Plan on fishing Sept. 11, 12, 13.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

UV, Glad to hear you weathered the storm ok. Clear's to ya.

I hope others in the area were as lucky!

br,
JohnD
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Way to go UV!

Looking forward to hearing from you in person.. but it sounds like you have some firewood to cut up first. Glad to hear you are all OK!

I am having one right now in your honor.
Frank B
--------------
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Matt: Thanks for the info! Glad you made out OK as well.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
scot

Post by scot »

Thanks for the update Matt.
Scot
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Whew, UV, Whew! Sorry about the trees. That has to hurt.
Just talked to Rawleigh and we're making plans for Hanna and being apprehensive, a fancy word for just shy of fudging our shorts.
This could get ugly, not as ugly as you guys on the Golf just had but none the less . . .
Just learned that the owner of the marina where I will take Dreamsicle hauled his boat today and leaves for Mexico tomorrow. Wonder if I have now fudged?

Shoot low, Boys, they're riding Shetland ponies.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Mikey,
One thing you can hope for is the remnants of Gustav to take an easterly header fast and keep Hanna off the coast.

Last race of the regular season this weekend in Richmond. Don't want it rained out.

Marina where I'm at pulled boats and the floating docks today. Funny since Fay hit us and they didn't do a thing and it looks like Hanna will be more to the east of us than earlier.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

All is good here in Houma. Both my B28 and B31 came thru unscathed. The eye drove right down the center of the Parish. I saw that jackass Jim Cantore with TWC at the downtown marina where I tied up the 28. Seems like everywhere he goes, storm clouds follow.

Got pretty exciting about 10 in the morning.... kept building and building, wasn't sure how long it would last. Heard reports of 128mph winds ( but you know how rumors go)

I came thru pretty good-- One of my rental properties (garage/apt) took a big ass tree and made a one story out of a 2--- No harm/ no foul.

Still haven't been able to get to my camp in Theriot (Bayou Dularge) but the newspaper showed the marina still intact so it sounds good.

UV, we had a couple people get scared and headed to BR on Sunday night. Ya'll got hit pretty good I heard--- reports of 91mph wind (second highest ever recorded in BR)

Probably at least a week before we get power... plenty of booze, but low on mixer. Kettle One and Koolaide Jammers really ain't all that bad.

My kids evaced to Houston, so I got to eat the contents of the freezer by myself. King Crab and a weenie spagahetti was surf and turf tonight. I'm thinking speckled trout with peanut butter toast on Thursday.

Lifes Good

Ray
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Ray
I am glad to see that you can keep your sense of humor thru it all......don't do any good to complain.......there is always someone that can out do ya........

Peanut butter and Speckled Trout might not be to bad.........I've been known to get the munchies and eat chocolate chip cookies with beer......

Really happy to hear that we/yall are all still here to talk about it.

Vic,
I remember that you Elaine had you grooming flower beds back in the summer........bet you are sick about that.........glad that you and yours were not injured

Scot,
You can come out now........its gone

Harry
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Certainly glad to hear you guys are all OK!

Hanna won't bother you.. looks like she has us in mind. Can my wife and I come down and hide out with y'all? We can bring lots of mixer!
Frank B
--------------
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Well they're finally letting people back into Terrebonne Parish starting at 6 this morning. We are the last Parish to open up.

The police and sheriff are being kind of heavy handed about allowing travel and access. They are using the excuse of public saftey and looting prevention. That's all good, but the lucky charm on my dash board keeps tigers away also.

Not that we are without crime, but we're some country bumpkins down here and we don't need a security force of over 1500 sucking on the teat to maintain order.

The residents who stayed already have most of the streets clear and their neighborhoods cleaned up waiting on garbage pickup.

Not a light bulb burning in the Parish, with estimates of 2-3 more weeks before power is restored. But I' ll take odds that we start getting power back this weekend --- with the majority restored by next Friday.

If they start removing the derbis soon, the only sign of bad weather will be a few lingering blue tarps by the end of the month.

UV, Hurry up and get BR back and running..... they posponed LSU's Saturday's game (kinda ruined my tail gating plans :wink: ) and Houma is in desperate need of some more CX.

Waiting on daylight
Ray
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, just got cable and internet back after 11 days. Power came back on last night after 10 days. We ran the 21 KW non stop for 251 hours and it sure earned its keep.

We had huge trees down all over us and it took a week to get them cut away from the house. Had some roof damage and some plumbing issues, like a big tree sheared off a hose bibb thru a brick wall and got water in a couple of bedrooms. Took almost a week to get our driveway and street cleared. Our sprinkler system and underground landscape lighting is totally destroyed as are my flower beds in the front.

Reports are the camp and AJ did fine other than a foot or so of water in the downstairs. Then Ike is grazing us right now and pushed the water back up even higher at the camp, so we will wait a while to go hose out the mess over there.

Ya'll in the path of Ike hunder down.

UV
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Welcome home !
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
randall

Post by randall »

nice to hear your voice UV (cyber speakin) for what its worth there was quite a bit of reporting about BR here....now it looks like ike is gonna rip G-bay a new one.
In Memory of Vicroy

Good to be back. We could get two tv stations with some home made rabbit ears and Vanna was getting old....

Worst storm I've ever been through here by far. There are parts of town that may take 4-6 weeks to get power back. The number of big trees down on power lines (and houses) is amazing. We were prettty lucky to fall in with some tree people from Beaumont, TX who cleared up our mess pretty quick, a roofing guy we knew, and a carpet fellow....so we are pretty much back to normal except for some broken windows and a helluva lotta landscaping and ripped up concrete from uprooted trees that needs major work.

Galveston is fixing to get wet.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

UV,

Glad to have you back & that you came through basically OK... How about Andre?

IKE is pushing on shore right now and from what I can tell, dead on top of Da' Judge & Billy... Surge was already over the sea wall earlier this afternoon, and while IKE has dropped to cat 2, it's still pushing a cat 4 surge. Some forecasts are for 12' to 15' surge on the west end of the island. That will effectively put the whole of Galveston Island under water... Tried to call Trey earlier thai afternoon, but no answer, even from voice mail, so I guess that the cell service is down.

Gonna' be a real mess...

Br,

Patrick
In Memory of Vicroy

Heard Andre' came out ok but still no power. Ike is kicking up 45+ mph winds here in Baton Rouge right now, its a real big storm, some 500 miles across. Power keeps flickering.

Just talked to the Minister de Pollo over at the camp and the water is at historic highs....good bit higher than Rita 3 years ago. The highways are closed due to flooding. One neighbor says the water is lapping at my a/c unit which is 3' off the ground.

Been a miserable two weeks if the truth be known.....

UV