Repowering with outboards

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

sotally tober

Repowering with outboards

Post by sotally tober »

I have seen where B28's have been repowered with outboards. I was wondering if anyone has experience or information on attempting this with a B31. Also, does anyone have any experience with trailering a B31. If it is possible, I plan to do limited trailering to work on the boat and to get it out of the water in advance of a storm. If repowered with outboards, trailer ability would be a concern so that the motors could be accessed for repair and maintenance.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Kipp Creed has a 31 w/outboards and trailers it. He should chime in.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Kipps 31 is a center console though, isn't it?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

it is and a good point. while it is purely my own opinion....if you want a bertram hull with outboards...make a CC out of it....everything else is sacrilegious.....and very unesthetic.....er wrong. kipps boat however is very cool.
kipp

B31 w/outboards

Post by kipp »

"Targeted Species" is a '72 FC without the FC that has Etec 250 outboards on a bracket. It stays on a trailer in Venice, but we take to Baton Rouge for project work and to avoid hurricanes (just got back with it). Thanks Gustav. VERY pleased with the boat. Call me at 225 268-5617(cell) or 225 926-3824(office) and I'll give you details. Don't want to brag too much on this site,because I might upset the traditionalists.
Kipp
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I saw Targeted Species in Port Eads with a big Blue Marlin in it and was duly impressed...and I'm a trsditionalist. Walter
Buju

Post by Buju »

I'd love to see a pic or two of tageted species some day...

Been hearing about her for years, can't quite picture what she'd look like.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Don't want to brag too much on this site,because I might upset the traditionalists.
Kipp, I ain't braggin' if it's true... Let'r rip.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

IS this what you're thinking?
This boat is in Tortola, BVI. If you want more info I can contact the owner in February.

Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Outboards make it hard to fish. Also the weight needs to be in the center I think for it to ride right in big seas. Just my 2 cents. I really dont know anything about it. Or maybe I just dont know anything which is more likely.
randall

Post by randall »

Mikey wrote:IS this what you're thinking?
This boat is in Tortola, BVI. If you want more info I can contact the owner in February.

thats exactly what i was talking about...you cant sell me on that. i have a shot of kipps boat with the marlin in it some where. post some shots kipp
kipp

Targeted Species Pics

Post by kipp »

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoView.j ... d=2008[img]

Trying to see if I have this image posting figured out yet.[/img]
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kipp,

Like this: [ img]http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos48 ... _0_ALB.jpg[/img ] , (but without the spaces I added to kill the command here... [-img][/img-] )

randall

Post by randall »

kipps link worked....thanks
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

that was his second attempt, the first was deleted by The Capt'n.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
kipp

Post by kipp »

Thanks Capt. Pat for another lesson,and for deleting my first embarrasing attempt.
Kipp
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Kipp

That's pretty cool looking. Does it run flatter than the inboards or is the bow still up when you are running?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tony Meola wrote:Kipp

That's pretty cool looking. Does it run flatter than the inboards or is the bow still up when you are running?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat

It looks like its running flatter. I bet it runs real sweet when he winds up those outboards.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Kipp,

I gotta follow suit with eveyone else... I love it.
It looks "right", and not all awkward like so many of the FBC outboard conversions. What did that console come out of? It looks at home in the 31...Nice tower as well.

Very cool B31.
kipp

Post by kipp »

Targeted Species runs a little bow proud,but i have a 130 gallon aux. tank that sits right in front of the main tank, That helps keep it down, aong with Lenco trim tabs. Also, replaced original tank with a 300 gallon one that should also help some with weight distribution.We mainly use the vberth for storage(lots of beer- sorry not John's brand) and that helps. Besides being wet like most of us, it rides very well-no hurting back or knees.
The tower came off of a 40+ ft sportfishef and was cut down to fit. Not sure where the console came from.Presently, installing freshwater and AC(got to keep all that beer cold) Then going to OB for painting. Any comments on Awlgrip Ice Blue for a hull color. Also trying to decide on spray rails or not. What say the faithful(particularly you, John) . All in all like the boat alot. We raise our fair share of billfish,and most of the time get meat. Have lost a tuna or two on the outboards, but with novice anglers on the rod. Thanks to this site for all the help.
sotally tober

Post by sotally tober »

Thanks for the info guys. As I expected, I twisted the tails of some of the traditionalists. No disrespect intended. The photo of the B28 with outboards is what I've seen before but I can't recall ever seeing a B31 with outboards.

Kipp,

your boat looks awesome. And the fact that you trailer gives me hope that the B31 will fit my needs.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Kipp,

Do not mean to high jack the thread! Kipp, How you doing buddy? Any beer is fine with me. The best part of "Reel Cowboy" are the glassed in spray rails....night and day difference.

Call me - 713-906-0842 - I will get you hooked up with the rails and the paint work for cheap - here in Houston.

John
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Garry

Post by Garry »

Totally Sober,

I saw a B31 FBC under renovation at Dog River Marina yesterday. The project appears to be nearing completion. The boat has twin Yamaha 300 or 350 4 strokes hanging off the back. You might try calling to speak with the owner. Dog River Marine has redone numerous B31's and do quality work.

Garry
sotally tober

Post by sotally tober »

Hey Garry

Thanks for the heads up on the B31 at Dog River Marina. Where is Dog River Marina? I can switch board the name if i have the town and state. If you have the phone number that would be even quicker. thanks

I am very interested in talking to that owner.
sotally tober

Post by sotally tober »

Garry,
I googled Dog River Marina and got a phone number. I called and spoke to Sonny. He is in charge of the renovation project you mentioned. He is a fricken treasure chest of information about what I am considering doing. Thanks again for the heads up.

Sotally Tober
Garry

Post by Garry »

Dog River Marina is located in Mobile Alabama. I think the work is being done by Middleton Marine 251-478-4432.