Fuel tank fabrication

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Skipper Dick

Fuel tank fabrication

Post by Skipper Dick »

It looks like it's time to bite the bullet and get a tank made to replace my 190 gallon fiberglass tank in my 1983 B28. I sent Nautic Marine an email and it seems they are not making tanks anymore, so has any one in South Florida or anywhere in the state had any experience with having either Aluminum or Stainless tanks made?

Thanks

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

I had a .25 " 225 Gal tank made by a fellow in Fort Pierce, $1700.00, will get the details (phone #) after Fay leaves town. Very happy with his work, Bill
Bill
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I got a nice quote from Custom Marine Fuel tanks in Jupiter made from 3/16 marine aluminun. It was 5052 type. Anyone ever do business with them?

Dick
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dick,

3/16" 5052 won't cut it.... You need 1/4" 6061-T for an aluminum tank. Keep in mind that ethanol is also going to eat into aluminum, especially is they, (stupidly), go more concentrated than 10%....

Br,

Patrick
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Thanks Capt. I'll keep looking. I'm still about a month away from getting started anyway.

Is there a minimum thiskness for stainless and I'm assuming it should be 316 stainless.

Dick
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dick,

I believe 304 is the accepted stainless for tankage. 316 wouldbe too soft... I can't remember the gauge of the tank that was made for Gerry Santiago, but I seem to recall it was 12 - 10 gauge, (0.1094 - 0.1408 or about 1/8"). Might try a quote from the same guy in stainless...

As Harv can attest, I'm not big on any kind of welded metal fuel tank. Vinylester has my vote.

Br,

Patrick
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Have you checked with Hightide Marine on there F/G tanks.

Just a thought.

http://www.hightidemarine.cc/fuel-tanks.htm#ethanol
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Harv

Post by Harv »

Same exact info and manufacturer that Richard Kidd of Allied Richard Bertram uses. That's who I got my tank from. Also Alex Wittaker of 31Bertram.com also makes fiberglass tanks as well. Don't know if it's just for the 31 or not though.
Harv
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

I had checked on the pricing of the fiberglass tanks a while back and they wanted about $4,500 then. They've probably gone up since then, but I do know that who ever makes the tanks for Hightide has a mold for my 190 gallon tanks.

Dick
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Harv,

Did you re-install your new fiberglass tank like your old one was with fiberglass tabs? The ones in the picture are sure a pretty color.

Dick
Harv

Post by Harv »

Dick,

haven't done anything yet on the boat except to have the engines pulled out. My back surgery is on Sept 8th, and my mom's health is deteriorating so everything else is on the back burner. Just accumulating parts and saving my pennies. Hope to get cracking over the winter as the boat is wrapped so that we can work on her in bad weather. I plan to tab the new tank right back in the same position, and although that burgundy color is nice, I will probably paint the tank the same color that I choose for the bilge.
Harv
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Harv,

Sorry to hear abolut your Mom and I hope the back surgery turns out OK. You have a lot on your plate at the moment. My best friend fought back problems for years until he ran across the right Doctor in Anchorage. He had another surgery and is back flying like nothing happened.

Richard Kidd made it easy for me to decide on Fiberglass and I had thought I'd just tab it in just like the old one was. And that is a pretty color burgandy.

Thanks again

Dick