Help!! Problem

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tim Malik

Help!! Problem

Post by Tim Malik »

My Little girl is sick. 1973 bertram 28. Went to go out on a night cruse and starboard trans went out ( I think) put in gear and trans clunking motor stalls out. Now these engines are tired in the 80s I think gas mc 260. need to bring her back to life! So this is where you good old boys come in. Looking for two engines and two new br trans's, cant let her die. anyone have? Or where to buy.

Thanks Tim Malik

Good old girls never Die!!!!!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Try connecting with Harv Friedman.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I have 454 big blocks. Not new, from late 80's.
Probably too big for a B28. Also have 2 B/W Velvet drives that should match up to a 350 gas motor. I have someone interested in the power, but could let you have the trannies once you find engines. Trannies are in good running order.
Harv
Carl

Post by Carl »

Could it be the damper plate causing the issues? Thats the plate between the motor and trans. A bad spring or too much play in the plate and the tranny and engine clanks and bangs away. At low idle speeds it is the worst, especially if the engine is not running real smooth to begin with. When I had an issue with mine it would stall the engine out. Maybe not the issue but somethig to look for before yanking the whole enchilada.

As far as engines, I have two pair's of 440's and a 350 vette motor on the shelf, not really suitable, but better then any rebuild I could recommend these days, sorry I'm sure others will chime in.

Carl
Tim Malik

Post by Tim Malik »

How do you check to see if its a bad damper plate?

Tim
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I would check the prop first just to make sure there is no rope snagged in it. That would stop the motor dead in its tracks. Happened to me once anyways.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Kevin wrote:I would check the prop first just to make sure there is no rope snagged in it. That would stop the motor dead in its tracks. Happened to me once anyways.
Me too, don't remember if it stalled me out but rope + crab pot float = one helluva racket.
Carl

Post by Carl »

These guys are thinking and on the ball !

I did not even think about that, definetely check the running gear for rope bags etc.

Then make sure your coupling bolts are tight and motor mounts in good shape.

Check and see if you can easilly turn shaft by hand. If not remove coupling bolts and pull shaft away from tranny, see if it turns. Start up engine and see if it still dies out when you put in gear.

Damper plate is mounted to the flywheel, remove tranny and unbolt. How to check...sorry but my bad answer is ask someone familar, when I took apart mine at my mechanics recommendation, I would have sworn is was fine. My mechanic friend just smiled and said Carl that was your problem. He was right.
Tim Malik

Post by Tim Malik »

Good advice guys, Jumped in water no ropes prop fine. shaft ok turns easy

Started her up today was ok, left engine in gear for a wile nose came back at idle the worst also vibration, started to take it apart to get to damper, front seal has small leak anyway. trans cooler has small water leak to bilge, need to buy a B/W rebiult trans, Where to get a damper, and trans? this engine turns counter clockwise as you stand in front looking at it. Is this reverse rotation?
Carl

Post by Carl »

If your in the North East...

http://www.sealandpower.com/

My first choice for engine and tranny parts. Rich is the Go-To Guy. 1.800.225.0004

http://www.mackboring.com/

Mack Boring, the Home Depot of marine propulsion
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

I have two trannies out of a B28 sitting in my garage. One with a real fresh rebuild, one not rebuilt, but running fine when removed.

I also have a good running counter rotation Chevy 350 and a few spare Q-jets.

Let me know if you are interested, and we can talk specifics.
Tim Malik

Post by Tim Malik »

Thank you for all the help

Tim