28 Moppie vs. flybridge performance comparison.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

28 Moppie vs. flybridge performance comparison.

Post by Kevin »

Spoke with Bruce today regarding Steyr repower. Steyr told him that 28 Moppie with twin 165 hp cruised at 25mph and 30mph wot. Fuel burn at cruise is 11 gph total. Very nice numbers. The props are 16x15 and 2 to 1 gear.

Our main question is how much heavier is the flybridge model compared to the Moppie?

I have seen some posts regarding Yanmar 170 hp as being slightly under powered in a 28 flybridge. Not looking for a rocket ship but do not want to be under powered either. Perhaps similar hp Steyr/Yanmar is not practical comparison...not sure.

Advantage of the smaller 4 cylinder steyr would be slightly less wieght of the motor and gearbox since the ZF45 is used. Thanks in advance, Kevin
Hal

Post by Hal »

I don't know about the Steyr, but it doesn't seem even remotely possible.

The 28 I had was a slow ass pig with 170 Yanmars. 11 Gallons per hour was great, but with a full load headed to South Pass for the UVI a couple years ago, we made a disgusting 15kts. Of course, we had a 400 mile range, but the 9 hours on auto-pilot convinced me it was time for a much faster boat. Now, mine had a tower, generator and a ton of stuff for a 28, but I just don't see 28kts coming out of that little horsepower without stripping it down to a center console and using a 20 gallon deck tank for fuel.

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Hal, what RPM'S were you turning for 15 kts ?

Bill Fuller has the 230 Yanmars as I recall in his 28 FBC, and is very pleased. maybe he'll chime in.

I on the other hand have the 170 Yanmars in my 28 FBC. Believe me, it's no rocket ship. With four fat guys, 150-200 lbs of ice, 3 scoops of live bait, 65 gal live well, 3 30 packs of beer and gear and food we'll run 17-19 kts at 2900 rpm's. WOT is 3400 rpm's = 23-24 kts, but I normaly cruise at 2900.

I don't have a tower or gen set. Est weight loaded 14,000 - 15,000 lbs.

170's arn't availible any longer, but you might be able to find 240's.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

If anyone is interested, my Yanmar 170's will be available around December. I decided to get some 240's before they become unavailable. My 170's are 1993's with less than 2000 hours. They look nearly new, been run in mostly fresh water for the past 7 years and run perfectly. Most of the big stuff needed to install the Yanmars in a B28 will be included except for the gears. Included are shafts, couplings, packing glands, props, engine mounts, strainers, thru-hulls and Racors. I haven't determined a price yet, but am working on it.
Eddy G.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Kevin,
Call me.
Bruce
Hal

Post by Hal »

Well, Jim. I got rid of Xanadu a little over 2 years ago and replaced her with that beautiful 35 in my avatar. Now I'm damn near a 20kt cruise fully loaded while still not making Omar any richer.

As I recall, the cruise rpms for Xanadu were about 2800 at 1100 degrees on the pyrometer. We ran her no higher than 1100 without much care for the rpms and she was efficient and reliable. I imagine the 240s would be a perfect fit for the 28 or a 31. I considered the upgrade, but decided I'd enjoy an extra 12,000 pounds for the same money. The skyscraper tower doesn't suck either, but she isn't as pretty as the 31! Hell, what is?