Ant problem

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Ant problem

Post by Kevin »

Got rid off the little sweet ants a long time ago with Terro. They love that stuff and I am glad they did.
Now I am getting what look like carpenter ants. Much bigger but jaws are not like the ones I remember as a kid. Once the sun goes down they just appear every where. The place of entry seems to be the shore power cord. They are randomly on the deck, gunwhales, interior carpet, counter top and so forth. I do not think I have any roting or wet wood anywhere on the boat. The dock is PT wood and in a canal with lots of mangroves around the dock. Sprayed all the lines with raid and going to Home Depot to get some Terro. If anyone has had this problem how did you deal with it? Would not want to sleep on the boat at night but only saw one during the day. Been all through the boat and found no nest. I am guessing they are mostly mobile visitors.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

CX....
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I should have known.
Sean B

Post by Sean B »

Kevin I know those guys, they show up every summer.

This stuff works: http://www.pestproducts.com/maxforce_ca ... t_bait.htm
It takes a little time for them to eat enough of it to wipe themselves out. I would put it on the docks, not on the boat. I derive a certain enjoyment watching the little bastards dilligently carrying their own doom back to their nest.

You can also track them with a red lens flashlight for more direct ant murder operations. Regular white lights send them scurrying randomly, but they don't seem to see the red lens light, and with a little patience they will lead you right to where they are hiding.

I also get them trying to nest in the dripwells (?) around the hatches. Have found that fogging the blige about once a week with raid yard guard stops that, although I'd probably be required to get a EPA permit to do that if I looked into it.

Save the CX for the bigger pests like raccoons and non-bertram tourists form New York