montauk rendezvous

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Charlie J

montauk rendezvous

Post by Charlie J »

walter or brewster any updates on montauk. as you know iam in freeportif i can help in any way let me know
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

As of this moment we have six confirmed reservations at Montauk Marine Basin. I am presently shopping for a venue as a guarantee that we all can sit together in case of inclement weather. At the same time I am shopping for tent/table/chairs , etc for the same purpose as an attempt to cover the same situation. Whichever becomes the most affordable and convenient would/should be our choice. The tent, etc necessitates more details and work by our group. Brewster has committed to providing individuals with lobster clambakes at his cost. In that case, it will probably have to be BYO for liquor. If we find a venue that allows us to bring in our own food, but has a bar, then the venue's bar will be open for our individual purchasing. I have gotten NO response from the several previous "sponsors" and according to Charlie Hawes who has so successfully run the Mid Atlantic Rendezvous in the past, I probably should expect none this year...especially from Bertram, for whose marketing director he has few kind words. The T-shirts have been designed but not produced yet. Mike Ohlstein has agreed to do them for us but I haven't chased him down as Randall advised me he was going to San Diego on a trip. I will contact him on his return. That's about where we are. Any help in terms of sponsors, donations of products to sell or raffle, etc. would be sincerely appreciated. So far Uncle Vic promised some CX products, I am contributing a batch of cookbooks, and Neil has promised some bottom paints. Captain Patrick has said that he will attend. Randall will be, as he has done in the past, his host. There are several who are either presently boatless or on the hard, that have verbally committed to attending, but by car. Once I can come up with a per head cost for dinner, I'll work to turn those commitments from verbal to financial. Unless I've forgotten something, thats about where we are right now. Thanks for asking. Walter
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

walter thanks, i know iam slow but do you have a # and contact name for reservation at the montauk basin, and dates
In Memory Walter K

It's Friday, Saturday and leaving Sunday the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of August. Montauk Marine Basin;s number is 631-668-5900. Ask for Mark, Rich or Carl Jr., whoever is there that day. It's $2.75 per foot for each day (overnight) you're staying. Looking foward to seeing you there! Walter
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thanks again walter will call this week
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Walter... give me an idea of what kind/size tent and how many chairs you think we are going to need, a friend of mine owns a tent/chair/table rental company and can probably set us up with whatever it is we need at a good price... let me know... -John
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
In Memory Walter K

John-Without actual reservations in hand, I'm guessing a Maximum of 100 at dinner-translating to 10 tables of ten with matching chairs, put up on Montauk Marine Basin's parking lot. Last year's event was only about 40 people but if I can keep this at a low "family friendly" per person rate, maybe we'll do better. Any prices you can provide would be sincerely appreciated. Walter
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Walter,
Let me have a UPS shipable address so I can send some prizes for the attendees.
Jerry, Triton II
In Memory Walter K

Jerry-Many thanks! Please include a note on who to thank and their address.
I'll send you an e-mail. Walter
Last edited by In Memory Walter K on May 5th, '08, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Walter- I think that you might want to take that info down and send him a PM.
In Memory Walter K

Did it. Thanks. Walter
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

just made reservations coming in the 1st and leaving 3rd

watlter maybe capt pat can make this thread a sticky.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

San Diego trip is off. Get me some art.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Glad I bit the bullet and made it last year.

Gotta go at least once.
randall

Post by randall »

hey bruce...you are more than welcome to come again....same deal.....cept this year im going in the canoe.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Has the artwork for t-shirt been finalized? Not to offend anyone, but would love to see more Bertram in the artwork than last years.
In Memory Walter K

Done and in the process of production. Walter
In Memory Walter K

Drove to Brewster's to sample his recommended "Lobster Bake" that he has offered to provide the Faithful at the event at his cost. It was spectacular! Clams, steamers, mussels and shrimp, followed by a whole Lobster and an ear of corn. You'd like it at any cost! The shellfish alone was a meal in itself!
In order to come up with a per-person price, I have been shopping tents, tables, chairs, etc...and its no small potatoes. This week I will be negotiating our ability to take over a small local tavern adjacent to the Marine Basin. If I am successful, and we can get it at a cost much lower than what I have been running into, we'll have a place of our own with a licensed pay as you drink bar (that goes to the place, of course). I am working towards being able to put this together at (hopefully) well under $100 per person after all is said and done. Right now, we don't need cash commitments, but we do need to get a feel for how many dinners to prepare for and how much space we'll need. I will call Montauk Marine Basin tomorrow to get a reading on Boat Slip reservations as of now. Others have said they were coming by car, some will be walk-in local Bertram owners. If you even THINK you're planning on attending PLEASE let me know.
You will be able to attend the festivities even if you bring your own food, but Brewster and I need a feel for paid dinner quantities and tent or tavern capacities. Once I know if I have nailed down the tavern and about how many attendees we can expect, I'll get back to you re per-person dinner costs and reservations.
One other area I could use your help on: So far I have two beautiful Tsunami boat rods and two top-of-the-line fighting belts to give away, as well as a batch of my cookbooks. Uncle Vic has promised some CX products and Neil has promised some boat/bottom paints. Please put the arm on some of your suppliers to support this event. The Items I have gotten have been freely given, but letters and calls have been sorely unresponsive. Any and all help would be sincerely appreciated.
Mike Ohlstein will be starting on the T-shirts next week. Once done, I'll be taking orders for them.
My personal thanks to all that are helping. Walter
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

walter
was in a local store this morning and they had a flyer for tent rentals.
all season tents, free delivery, set up, located in nassau, dont know if they would make the run to montauk.
packages include tent, tables, chairs, and 6 bufffet tables and lights.
40 person 20- 20 w/canopy tent $325
w/frame tent $445
tel. # 516 771 8368
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Another option on a tent is a friend of mine in Hampton Bays.

Jamie 631-774-2982
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

I have just received a response to letters and e-mails I have been sending and now have a commitment that a writer/photographer will be covering our Northeast Rendezvous. They are interested in our restorations as well as our Commeraderie. I can provide the Commeraderie, but only you can provide the pretty B-31's. Right now we have commitments for 8 boats other than mine. Please make your reservations at Montauk Marine Basin 631-668-5900 and let me know, as they'd like to talk to some of us even before the event.
Walter
In Memory Walter K

Further input: Some on the above list have not let me know if they will be
attending our Clambake. As I should be letting Brewster know how many meals to provide, I would appreciate some yeas/nays/checks soon. I contacted the Montauk Chamber of Commerce and they have provided me with materials about Montauk which will be in your welcoming package. Taxis for the short run to town will be easily available should any of the non-Bertam fanatics want to escape us. I will provide telephone numbers.
Name tags you can wear all weekend were ordered today. The Tipperary Inn will have live music at their place starting at 9 pm (after we're finished). Anyone wanting to is free to stay. Neil advised me that the new management of the Montauk Yacht Club wants us back there next year. They're offering a free cocktail to our attendees as a bribe. How we manage that is yet to be worked out. I (or Neil) will let you know. Uncle Vic in response to my earlier plea is sending me some CX's for our prizes. Many thanks Vic! Patrick is definitely coming, the writer for Motor Boating is staying at my house so I KNOW he's coming. That's it for now! Walter
In Memory Walter K

This thread used to be three pages long. Don't know where the other 2 pages went, but here's the latest:
The Northeast Rendezvous culminated with Photo shoot of 9 Bertram 31's running together outside Montauk inlet. It was shot by Gary Caputi for Motor Boating Magazine, from the tower of Tom Ward's beautiful 50 Bertram Rumrunner. Gary spent the entire weekend with us, speaking to and photographing the boats of our attendees. 13 boats made it, while unfortunately 2 didn't because of unexpected mishaps. Michelle D was hit by lightning in her slip and had her electronics fried, Dick Dean damaged his running gear on his way and had to return home. He did however drive his car to the rendezvous the next day and donated an expensive George Foreman Grille and a Bertram bridge ladder to our raffle at our Clam Bake.
Many thanks Dick. Those attending can attest to the quality and quantity of the seafood provided by our own Brewster Minton's Seafood market and restaurant. Thank you again, Brewster.
There are so many people to thank. The donors of our prizes, the buyers of our raffles, and the hard working Bob Fiorese who single-handedly sold over a hundred of them. To my wife Dinaz and Bob Fiorese's wife, MaryJo who worked so hard setting up our cocktail party and dinner.
I hope all who attended had a good time. My personal objective to make the event a family friendly one was achieved as there were many great looking kids in the Franzone, Ward, Pagano and other families (whose names escape my tired brain right now. Forgive me). Timmy's beautiful Chocolate Lab and Dug Stowe's great looking German Shepard Puppy were also right at home with all of us. All in all, I hope a good time was had by all. Tomorrow, I will be driving Captain Patrick back to NY's JFK for his flight to Austin. We had a wonderful four days with him. He stayed with Randall and Caren Rosenthal and I personally thank the both of them. Having Patrick with us was a great asset to the event...and all of us who asked him a thousand questions.
When I find out more about Gary Caputi's Motor Boating story and when it comes out, I'll let you all know Walter
In Memory Walter K

This thread used to be three pages long. Don't know where the other 2 pages went, but here's the latest:
The Northeast Rendezvous culminated with Photo shoot of 9 Bertram 31's running together outside Montauk inlet. It was shot by Gary Caputi for Motor Boating Magazine, from the tower of Tom Ward's beautiful 50 Bertram Rumrunner. Gary spent the entire weekend with us, speaking to and photographing the boats of our attendees. 13 boats made it, while unfortunately 2 didn't because of unexpected mishaps. Michelle D was hit by lightning in her slip and had her electronics fried, Dick Dean damaged his running gear on his way and had to return home. He did however drive his car to the rendezvous the next day and donated an expensive George Foreman Grille and a Bertram bridge ladder to our raffle at our Clam Bake.
Many thanks Dick. Those attending can attest to the quality and quantity of the seafood provided by our own Brewster Minton's Seafood market and restaurant. Thank you again, Brewster.
There are so many people to thank. The donors of our prizes, the buyers of our raffles, and the hard working Bob Fiorese who single-handedly sold over a hundred of them. To my wife Dinaz and Bob Fiorese's wife, MaryJo, Timmy's Kathi, who all worked so long and so hard hard setting up our cocktail party and dinner. God, I know there are SO many to thank.
I hope all who attended had a good time. My personal objective to make the event a family friendly one was achieved as there were many great looking kids in the Franzone, Ward, Pagano and other families (whose names escape my tired brain right now. Forgive me). Timmy's beautiful Chocolate Lab, Dug Stowe's great looking German Shepard Puppy and Gerald McLaughlin's lovely Golden Retriever were also right at home with all of us. All in all, I hope a good time was had by all. Tomorrow, I will be driving Captain Patrick back to NY's JFK for his flight to Austin. We had a wonderful four days with him. He stayed with Randall and Caren Rosenthal and I personally thank the both of them. Having Patrick with us was a great asset to the event...and all of us who asked him a thousand questions.
When I find out more about Gary Caputi's Motor Boating story and when it comes out, I'll let you all know Walter
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

It was perfect. Everyone had a great time and Walter and his wife Dinaz worked the hardest to make it well run and awsome. You cant find a better group of people than that.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

You guys are by far the best. Thank You for a great time!!!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

no one else?

no pictures from anyone?
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Walt, you did a great job.

I can't wait to see the pictures of the storm front that rolled in as we were heading to our complimentary cocktails at the Montauk Yacht Club.
Harv
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

WTF...This is it??? No stories about Timmy, Mike or Brewster? How about Randell? I'm anxiously waiting for the story.

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
In Memory Walter K

Terry-Brewster won one of the Tred Barta T-shirts you donated and a bottle of stain remover and boat soap from Interlux. We're all wondering if they will ever be used. He almost pulled a Thuddd getting to his boat on Saturday evening, but miraculously recovered by the AM. Early Sunday morning Timmy and Brewster also showed us that Tuna sashimi and Tequila CAN be a breakfast combination. Randall won his annual gallon of black bottom paint, and was the gracious host to Captain Patrick for the weekend. Lots of laughs and good fellowship with no casualties. I'm sure you'll hear more from others of the faithful
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

quite a weekend the rendezvous was sucessful due to some hard work by walter and the food by brewster was the best yet.i discussed some good bertram shots with gary caputi and i promise him a show i was wondering if harv or anybody else took the shot of the hard over wheel to wheel turn at 38.would love to have a copy.phoenix was riding on her port chine in 4' waves at 38mph. i hope that ends the nosense of the 28' bert a better handler than the 31' bert.
In Memory Walter K

Bob-She sure is a beauty. You have every reason to be very proud of the job you did on her! Walter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bob,

I was on the bridge of Rumrunner with no camera. She sure looked sweet pouring through that turn. Gary was in the tower, with camera in hand and I'm sure he took as many pictures as possible.
Harv
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
In Memory Walter K

Great pictures John- Many thanks! Walter
randall

Post by randall »

as i was driving north on saturday i was headed right for that cloud . i kept thinkin i was going in the wrong direction. i was wrong...had a great time. was a real pleasure to meet giff and wife for the first time. and of course always fun for caren and i to have patrick around. goes without saying that walter , brewster, and dinaz get most of the credit.....and thanks to timmy for letting me flog his little car around a bit. i might even let you drive the healey if i can fix the brakes.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I see Capt Pat with his big ass camera- show us some pictures!
Harv

Post by Harv »

I think Capt. Pat is more concerned with getting the bugs out of the sandbox, moreso than posting pictures.
But I'm sure they'll turn up soon enough. I can't wait to see Gary Caputi's article and pictures.
Harv
davidms

Post by davidms »

The pics are great! Sounds like everybody had a lot of fun. Who owns the 31 with the golden retriever laying on the starboard engine box?

David S
In Memory Walter K

That group of 8-9 boats all running together on Sunday morning morning was certainly beautiful! Don't know how it looked from the camera boat, but from my bridge it was spectacular. The Golden Retriever belongs to Gerald McLaughlan who runs the Lone Gull out of Southampton. We also had Timmy's Chocolate Lab and Dug's German Shepard puppy in attendance on the weekend. Walter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Walt,

the best description I can give you from the camera boat was like watching a kickoff return. All of the boats lined up abreast of each other like a wedge, and Bob Lico on Phoenix picking a hole and breaking away for the touchdown.
Harv
In Memory Walter K

Several of you at Montauk commented on the red dive boat that came in and was held at the Coast Guard Station on the weekend. No one knew why. Yesterday's East Hampton Star reported that the boat that took divers to the wreck of the Andria Doria lost one of the divers. His body was found in 250 ft of water and was a 38 year old man from Houston Texas named Terry DeWolf. The wreck has now claimed 15 divers. It's the third that I can remember from that boat.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harv we just have to give you the same repower and you are on your way.i only wish you saw phoenix performance before i detuned it.off couse it would be a song and a dance to dock it but what the hell.gary came to the boat and examine and took photo`s of the boat for the magazine and told him the boat has a little more performance than the average bertram 31 and could turn on a dime in 4' seas at w.o.t.i would love to repower this winter with yanmar 440hp and build a true 40knt. cruise bertram 31 but the thought of tearing up that deck and rear bulkhead makes me sit back and think again.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Walter and all,

The rendezvous was great, and your hard work and diligence showed clearly. I know what it takes to put together a fun event, and you succeeded. The dinner was terrific, and Liz and I want to thank everyone and say it was great.

Marly even enjoyed herself!!!!

Thanks again to everyone who was there for making it a weekend worth being at the basin!

Best,

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

this is one of gary`s beautiful photographs taken from the camara boat (tom ward`s 50'bertram).phoenix is doing 32kns. check out the 6" exhaust you know those engine are cranking.

Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob,

Now you need some playboy like model in a bikini or better yet, body paint, perched perkily on your engine hatch instead of John, and you will have yourself a cover shot for Boating magazine!

Pretty boat!!!!

Dug
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Im in the passenger seat!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Dug

Post by Dug »

Ooops!!!

My apologies!!!!!!

D
opunui

Engines

Post by opunui »

What size are those engines? very beautiful boat!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

2006 cummins 330hp/vulcan drive