EPA Discharge Permit

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Sean B

EPA Discharge Permit

Post by Sean B »

We discussed this here a while back when it first reared its ugly head... it looks like the discharge permits for recreational boats are permanently off the table. I guess those windsurfers won't need to get a special permit to pee in their wetsuits after all.

This came in the email today:

Dear BoatU.S. Member,

Thanks to some great teamwork, the threat of a new EPA discharge permit for all your boats is gone!

On Tuesday night, President Bush signed into law "The Clean Boating Act of 2008," which gives recreational boats a permanent exemption for the court imposed EPA discharge permit.

I thank each of you for helping create this victory for boating. Every time we asked for your help, you were there to push the legislation further down the path towards successful passage. You contacted your Members of Congress and helped them understand the importance of boating in your life. And Congress heard the loud voices of tens of thousands of boaters! Nice work!

Enjoy the rest of the summer on the water!

Margaret Podlich
Vice President of Government Affairs
BoatU.S.
Govtaffairs@boatus.com
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Well I guess I'll have to vote for one Demacrat!

Dear Friend:

Since you previously wrote to me in support of the Clean Boating Act of 2007 (S.2766), I wanted to share some good news with you about this legislation.

I am pleased to inform you that Congress has passed the Clean Boating Act, and it was sig ned into law on July 29, 2008.

As I noted in my previous letter to you, I proudly joined Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) in introducing this bill to establish measures that ensure the protection of water quality while minimizing any burdens for recreational boa ters under the Clean Water Act.

As you know, the Clean Boating Act makes it clear that recreational boaters will not have to get a permit under the Clean Water Act, while also requiring the Environmental Protection Agency and the Coast Guard to develop management practices, outside of any permitting programs, to assist boaters in minimizing adverse pollution impacts. By helping boaters to maintain and improve water quality, the boating experience w ill be enhanced for all users.

Thank you for your past correspondence on this matter. Please feel free to write to me in the future about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That's only because she is a boater. In fact I think she is a blow boater. So don't expect her to vote for anything to help the fuel prices.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I got this from Chuck Schumer. Nothing from Hillary though.

Dear Mr. Kaprielian:

Thank you for your letter in support of S. 2766, the Clean Boating Act of 2008. You will be happy to know that I am sponsoring this bill. Recreational boating is an important part of New York’s economy, and it is a wonderful activity that is enjoyed by thousands of New Yorkers.

Boating has the potential to introduce pollutants and invasive species into lakes and rivers. To protect the health of our nation’s waterways, Congress has enacted several national water-quality laws. Among these, the Federal Water Pollution Control Act – commonly known as the Clean Water Act – directs the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to restrict water pollution from ships and boats by requiring them to obtain permits. For 34 years, the EPA exempted recreational boats from this requirement on the grounds that they do not pose a significant danger to water quality. In 2006, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals struck down this regulation. As a result, recreational boaters will have to comply with the same Clean Water Act regulations as ocean-going commercial ships beginning in 2008.

The Clean Boating Act of 2008 simply clarifies the scope of the Clean Water Act’s restrictions on boating specifically to exempt recreational vessels. If passed, this law will protect recreational boaters from having to obtain permits. I am sponsoring this important legislation to protect New York’s boating community, and I am dedicated to seeing this bill pass this year.

Thank you for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can ever be of assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer
United States Senator
Harv

Post by Harv »

Chuckie sent me the same exact letter.

I wonder how McCain & Obama voted on this one?
Harv