The Oar House

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

The Oar House

Post by Harry Babb »

Doug
I just seen on our local news that the Oar House burned to the ground. Although they were closed for a private party you tried to take JP and I there for supper one night.

JP........that was the place with a Thatch Roof

Jo Ann and I rode over there about a month ago for supper....good food but even a better atmosphere..........what a shame.....

What happened????

Harry
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry,

Yes its all totally toasted except for the restroom area, the alarms went off around 3:10 am Sunday morning. The fire trucks were on the scene within about 8-10 minutes, but that was to late for the thatch roof and the rest of the building, even had some boats get damage from it, went up in fames fast. My stepdaughter worked there if you remember, and Saturday she worked and everything was fine when they closed and all left to go home that night.

Needless to say they think a x-employee that had gotten fired for embezeling some money from the marina next door if you recall is looking suspicious they think, but is still under investigation and they say that they're going to be open in a week with a limited menu on the volleyball court that next to the dining area. Don't know about that but it is sad for all the employee's that have no jobs now.
How's the boat coming, it was looking good the last time you posted pictures.
R,
DQ
http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/galler ... s=Itemnr=7
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Doug
On the news they said that the restruant employed about 50 people.

Both engines are now sitting in DeNada aligned to the strut and the shaft log........exactly where I want them. Next step is to fabricate and install the exhaust then remove everything and paint before the final assembly.

Getting closer but I am a little "Burned out" on the project right now. I missed my May splash date........quite disappointed about that......but if I know me...... what will happen is that I will sulk for a little while then roll up my sleeves and go like gang busters again.

I have been asked about a new splash date.......refuse to make another prediction right now.

Whatchew been doing...........caught Moby Dick yet this year???

Harry
kellysmall

Post by kellysmall »

I can't say that I've shed any tears over the loss of the Oar House. If any of you local folks recall, the marina group that owns that restaurant really hosed all the tenants of their dry storage building after Hurricane Ivan blew it over in September 2004. My B25 was in that building, and Marina Management billed me and every other tenant $1,800 each to have OUR boats removed from THEIR rubble. I thought their building insurance should've covered all of that. Regardless, it was awful fishy to see that new restaurant pop up on the property so soon after collecting all that cash. I feel badly for the employees who are out of a job over this, but with regards to the owners, I won't lose a wink of sleep over it. You reap what you sow.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Kelly,

I hear ya! and I know what you mean about the management, lucky for me David was helping me out with my yard bill for my boat. They were trying to stick it to me, lucky for me when I went into the yard they had lost the original contract after Ivan, and they could not change the original we had. But the employee's is who I feel bad for, which includes my stepdaughter.

Harry,

Know all about burnout my friend, went thru that a couple of times on mine, including a heart attack and appendicitis with an open appendectomy. Then like you say, just roll up your slevees and go to work again to getter done. Maybe when JP brings his ass down here again or just us can arrange to go fishing offshore or go dine out again or better yet, we can fry some oysters and shrimp @ my house and do some drinking on the back deck overlooking the bayou.

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Doug
Frying oysters and shrimp sounds good to me.........what will it take to lure you out of Pensacola and over to Fish River one afternoon/evening????

How about it Kelly......you ever leave Escambia county?????

I would love to have you guys come over to the "Boat House" one evening

Harry
Buju

Post by Buju »

How'd that crawfish boil go for ya Harry?
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Harry,
No problem my friend, we can try an set something up when you want. Now the July 4th weekend I'm working the Pensacola International Billfish Tourney and July 18th-20th I have the Pensacola Ladies Billfish Tourney with 3 Ladies that are looking to go gettem a Marlin Darlin, other than those dates I'm good to go. I don't know Kelly's plan's, how about Kelly?

R,
DQ
"IN GOD WE TRUST"