Fuel Pickup?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

Fuel Pickup?

Post by Russ Pagels »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. I want to pull my fuel pickup out of the fiber glass fuel tank on my 1973 Bertram 31. It has only one pickup, I think it is bronze and it screws into the large bolted inspection plate. I have used a 2” socket and 18” breaker bar without budging it. I don’t want tear anything loose. I lost both engines offshore and I thought it would have to be fuel. After an hour the engines restarted, I have since changed the filter and blew all the lines out with compressed air. I’ve made short trips without any problems. I would like to get the pickup out and remove some fuel from the bottom of the tank. Does anyone know if the pickup has a screen on the end of it?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Yes the pickup has a screen on the end of. Standard practice up here is to remove the screen. That is supposing you can the the pick up out. You should be able to get the small screws around that plate off and lift the assembly out. Then you can go to work on it at the bench.
Good Luck
Last edited by JP Dalik on Jun 16th, '08, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Try spraying some penetrating fluid or CX around the threads and let sit overnight. I had the same problem getting mine out, but I eventually succeeded after letting the threads soak. I also had to use an 18 inch breaker bar.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Russ,
Remove plate and all from the tank as JP said, get to a bench with large vice to hold the plate with the pick-up still screwed in. Make sure no fuel residue in still in the pick-up and add a little heat to it and should break loose. I personally would not remove the screen. Go to a Napa or whatever a get some new cork gasket material and reinstall after you have check your tank. They are tuff to break loose, did 3 of them on my tanks.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Russ Pagels

fuel pickup?

Post by Russ Pagels »

Thanks Guys I'll give it a shot over the weekend.....Russ
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Happened to me in 06. ran about 170 miles & on the way back kept slowing down gradually .. Then pullin into the harbor, wouldnt even idle...I changed all the filters & took out the pickup (had a coating of whitish jelly.. )didnt remove the screen.Tank looked real clean.. both times.
Then last year same thing.. & I took OFF the screen.. Looked like this.Image

Ive since then added a pair of raycor 1000s. No problems to now. Dont know if its a tank or diesel problem.
Wayne
http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p245 ... s009-1.jpg