Looking for a sander...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Looking for a sander...

Post by CaptPatrick »

I've been looking for a 6" corded or pneumatic sander with a 90º configuration, single action. Damned things just don't seem to exist... I've been looking off & on for years.

Plenty of dual action units, but I need single action. Makita makes one that's semi-90º via the body & handle configuration, but the balance is terrible. Had one of those once, and thankfully it got stolen.

A 4 1/2" angle grinder, fitted with a 6" pad, would be great except for the 11,000 rpm aspect. Foam sanding PSA pads are only capable of handling a maximum 7,000 rpm. I may have to try an electronic speed control, but would prefer not to.

Anybody know of a low center of gravity 5,000 - 7,000 rpm single action sander that's available? Variable or fixed rpm makes little difference...

Br,

Patrick
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey Pat
I am looking for a sander also.......I'm looking for one that will show up in the mornings for work.........

Here at the shop I walk out on the floor and yell "I need a welder" ! ! !
Rod yells back "er" or "or" then he tells me that there are 4 of them in the corner.....just help your self

Ha Ha

Harry
clay

Post by clay »

Not sure if this is a fit but I have been using one for a year with wet discs to eliminate the dreaded fiberglass itch. 4500 max rpm but can jump it up with more than 90psi. Works dry as well, I bought the 99.00 one to see how it went and it just keeps on going. I use a 6" thread on pad when using sanding disc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-Air-Pneumatic-W ... dZViewItem

Clay
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Clay, thanks! Closer to what I'm looking for sure... I do prefer electric over air for constant duty tools, but this might be my only solution.

Harry, know the feeling. I only have myself & I to yell to and those two guys aren't worth a damn. Gonna' fire both of 'em someday. But then I'll only have the dogs to talk to...

Br,

Patrick
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

capt pat- milwaukee angle grinders have speed adjustment- might be a good choice as they last forever
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

These are 7", but should be able to be converted as they use standard 5/8 x 11 spindles:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200026774

They also have a cheaper version:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _8420_8420
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Hey Pat: have you tryed one of these.
Fein tool?
.Made in Germany.. They do just about any hard to reach (sand ,cut or scrape) amazing.
Wayne.
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Capt Pat....www.smartshoppersinc.com This is an autobody mailorder supplier who i buy from and the they make 2 direct air driven DA's one is 8" National Detroit model900 and one is 6" National Detroit model9600 179.00 and 169.00 I have the 8" model and use it strictly for cutting large areas and she kicks ass. They both come with the sticky-back pad.
Troy 31Tiara"DRIFTER" Lafitte La
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

http://abrasives4sale.com/pads_for_h&l_discs.htm

I used 4" and 6" hook and loop backing pad on my side grinder from these guys. Worked good (and fast) for fist pass sanding, but throws a lot of dust. Cheap too. A lower speed tool may be better.

--Marshall