Circuit Breaker Panel Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Circuit Breaker Panel Question

Post by Tony Meola »

Hoping that those that have updated their panels would have some thoughts on what is better circuit breakers or fuses.

As we slowly start the putting the boat back together process, its time to focus on the breaker panel which is not currently marine grade. Can't beleive they did that. Would have thought Marine Grade would have been available in 1975. My current panel is up front in a locker. I am going to put a house bank in so my thoughts were to put panel of breakers in for the engines somewhere under the dinette, and then install a panel in the overhead going to the bridge for the house bank.

The panel in the overhead would power the bridge and all electronics. I am just not sure if I should go with breakers up there or fuses. Some times I think fuses make more sense for that application.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on what would make the most sense.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Breakers and keep them doused with CX and they will outlast you.

UV
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Generally the circuit breaker will carry the load of the entire panel. If you needed 30 amps of power displaced over 6 branches then run a main breaker for lets say electronics that power a fuse block. Now a days I'd rum the ATO fuses (Standard automotive type) versus the standard old style glass fuses. They seen to hold contact better in adverse conditions. Blue Seas makes a nice little board.

The general rule of thumb is to keep the power fused as close as possible to its distribution point.
So you would go from you electronics to a fused panel then they would go a general fused panel which would would ultimately go to a bigger fused link and then direct to the battery within a foot or so. This gives you the most chances to stop a problem before it turns into smoke.

Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Thanks guys. Answered my question. Back up systems are important.