windless?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Spike Hunter

windless?

Post by Spike Hunter »

Guys,

Here is So Cal we drop the anchor many times during a day of fishing around the local islands. The original capstan (Ideal) no longer works. I had to cut it off the bow to remove it. I have spoken to the people at ideal and they can repair the old capstan. I was wondering what type of windless you use to anchor.

I was planning on using a 33lb bruce sytle anchor with 60 ft of 5/16 chain and 300ft rode. Any ideas on what brand has a good quality without huge cost?

I appreciate your help and opinion.

Peter
1974 31 fbc
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

spike
in my opinion all windlasses are not worth a crap, they will fail at some point, murphys law, get you self a anchor ball. but if i had to buy a new one i would go with good
John F.

Post by John F. »

I've had a Lewmar Horizon for about 4-5 years, and haven't had a problem. Its been used about 10 times. There's a picture of it mounted on the pulpit I made under my post on my winter window project.

John
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have a Lawrence Vertical type capstan. It is about 20 years old, but hasn't seen hard usage and is kept under cover.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Butt Ugly!!! but handsdown the best, EZ Anchor Puller. I run 90 to 120 trips every year, at least 1/2 of these trips I am using it setting 4 to 8 times per day and never had a issue. All the others, and I have used three different brands don't hold a candle to these, just as long as you can get past the looks & price.

Dan
www.finchasersportfishing.com
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

PETER: I dont know what part of Ca. your at but if you can get to Minney's in Costa Mesa... yor in luck... Go upstairs...
Wayne
John F.

Post by John F. »

The EZ Anchor Puller that Dan recommended is used on just about every charter/work boat I've seen on the Chesapeake Bay. It kinda' goes with the Bay built deadrise look--or maybe because I haven't seen many baybuilts without a puller. If I were to get a windless based solely on function, that'd be it--you have to get by the looks of it though.