Bumpy Poly Finish Any simple solution

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Davidr0007

Bumpy Poly Finish Any simple solution

Post by Davidr0007 »

I am coating a couple doors .I have used ploy but cannot get a soomth finish ,What I do get is a very shiny surface which looks great but when you pass your hand over it there are little bumps. I am getting sick of sanding and re-coating . Is ther some way just to remove those little bumps and retain that great finish ....
Thanks
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

David,

Sounds like you may be getting dust or brush particles drawn into the coat. Finish coats can be a real bitch if conditions aren't near perfect...

The environment where you are applying the finish has to be totally dust free, including the surface that you're applying to. Mist the whole room with water to knock down air borne dust. Mist yourself. Use a tack cloth to lightly wipe away any dust from the surface of the work.

Use a paint strainer to catch anything that may be in the liquid coating. Use a clean container to strain into. Brushes that have been used before & not thoroughly cleaned can contain a ton of dust & dried particles. Use a new brush. Use a brush specifically designed for the type of finish you're applying. Pre-condition the brush in the solvent that is recommended for the finish that you're using.

Keep the room that you're working in closed at all times, before, during, and after the work. Everything in finish coating is more critically dependant on dust control...

In the end, you'll likely never get a perfectly finished surface in anything less than lab conditions & a spray set up. Accept that you'll always be able to find every flaw in your work and no one else will ever see it unless you point it out.

Good luck on the next round...

Br,

Patrick
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

just another thought- if you flood the finish you can get solvent pop, which would also be a bumpy finish when you run your hand on it

this would be especially bad if you were working in the sun
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If you like a satin finish you can rub it out with OOOO bronze wool and fine pumice then hit it with a finishing compound and have a nice even satin finished product.
Don't ask me how I learned this process I've been sworn to secrecy. As a matter of fact this post does'nt exist.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Don't ask me how I learned this process I've been sworn to secrecy. As a matter of fact this post does'nt exist.
I've known this technique as "The Last Ditch" or "Screw It, I'm Done"

Satin finishes certainly are easier to deal with... And, other than some exterior teak trim, a high gloss clear finish on wood just doesn't seem to allow the charm of the wood to show off. High gloss interior is just plain garish.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Don't ask Don't tell Capt.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

you can just use satin finish if thats what you like

I have sanded and polished satin finish, it just gives you a smoother, imperfection free satin finish.

If you have enough clear on that wood you can just sand and polish it to a gloss finish