upper stripe helm area

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Charlie J

upper stripe helm area

Post by Charlie J »

took the old #s and letters off today, beyond saving, anyway the old striping dry and aligatored, looks to be like paint not decal. was thinking i would lightly sand tape off and re paint with black enamel. not to sure what to do with it now. anyone have any sugestions.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

that doesn't include 5gal of gas, and a flare gun??
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

heeees back, whats up thud snifed any good bar room floors lately
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Been years, and I still think the contest was rigged, but without proof, you'v got to belive the integrity of a "lawyer" so you make the call
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Tim, it was a fair drinking contest and you know it....plus we had the Prof and Ric back at the bar as eye witnesses when you took the famous tumble. Oh yeah, and the cop's waitress wife that slipped you the mickeys just before her husband was gonna beat you into a dark stain on the sidewalk....thank Snow for saving you that time.

Anyway, we had a helluva lotta laughs, my fren'.

UV
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Hope you get some good responses. I would like to remove the stripe and "Bertram" lettering from my B28 bridge. I'd also like to remove or repaint the lower stripe in black. My boat yard told me to wet sand it with increasingly fine grit paper.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

come on UV, the cop was a different episode,different trip and Ric and the prof were at the airport, sooooooooooooooooooo We'll have to let the bartender have a say... Pease counsler, prease produce the witness

But yes accurate or not we've always had a great time, cause you da man
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Timmy,
Are you going to be around Newburyport this Saturday morning.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Timmy, your memory is faulty....yes the cop's wife was another time, but the tumble was not....the four of us were sitting at the Casa Blanca bar next door to the Flophouse....dark thirty....Ric took the Prof to the airport and came back, you and me were still at it...Ric's cell rings and the Prof's flight back to NYC had been cancelled due to a snowstorm, so Ric went back to the FLL airport to fetch him for another luxury night at the Flophouse, you & me still hammering clears at the bar....the two of them show back up and you were speaking in real short sentences by then...you were sitting on my left, the Prof is next to me, and Ric is around the corner of the bar when the sound made famous around the world was heard....THUDDDDDD. The waitresses were stepping over you....I had the decency to take my left sandal off and put my foot on your heart to see if there was a pulse, and there was, so we went back to talking about boats, etc. The wait staff just stepped over you like you were part of the landscaping, which I guess by then you were....the manager came over and asked if you were OK...."sure, he does this all the time" and he left. I asked the bar tender for some chalk to ourline your body like they do in murders....he gave me some and we did the deed....next Oct. at the FLL show your outline was still on the floor...so much for their hygene.

The Prof and Ric were there, eyewitnesses and that's how it was. The very early days of B31.com friends and its been a helluva ride, huh?

yo Fren'

UV
scot

Post by scot »

Hey Thuddster,

It's been a while, how's the project going? Put any chain saws to her lately?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

steve
lets hope so, but it looks like timmy will not admit defeat, hes in denial
Harv

Post by Harv »

Charlie,

2 years ago. I removed the vinyl tape at the waterline. After pulling it off by hand, I then use Goo Gone to clean up the adhesive. Whatever was left, I sanded and cleaned with denatured alchohol. Then painted my waterlines back on the boat. I think I might have had an easier time, if I used some form of heat, like a heat gun, to soften the adhesive before I removed the tape. Except where I had some rubbing against a dock bumper, the paint held up pretty good. But you shouldn't have that problem on the helm sides.
Harv
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

harv
i dont think its tape, maybe put a heat gun on it to confirm
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

UV,upon reflection, you are correct. Though I'd like to harbor the thought that while Ric and the Proff were absent, you were driking water and I was drinking full glasses of clears.

Pete, this coming Sat?? Am till 11ish, then after 7. dog training mid day,unless I can rescheduel. I'll check.

Scot, busy, nothing past getting ready to rebuild.

Charlie, well, I got nothing for you
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

dog training? you mean kathy hasn't house broken you yet!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Timmy,
You having the hull surveyed in advance of the impending fire?
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Charlie,
Try EasyOff oven cleaner on paint. It worked well on the name painted on my transom
Easwood has a rubber disk that chucks into a drill for use on tapes.
Careful use of a heat gun (real careful) can work on tape, too.
Jerry, Triton II
Harv

Post by Harv »

cwj wrote:harv
i dont think its tape, maybe put a heat gun on it to confirm
Charlie,

If I remember correctly, your line is not the same as mine. My waterline and helm striping on my boat were both of the stick on vinyl tape variety. You can even see where each line of tape around the helm, overlaps the one below it. I think yours may have been painted on. Easy off works real good on paint, but make sure you wear gloves.....it also takes off fingerprints from your fingers.......and use lots of water for rinsing as you go, because it will also desolve the gelcoat. I also used easy off , to remove the old name from my transom.
Harv
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thanks guys
ill just play around with it and see what works best