aluminum waste tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ric

aluminum waste tank

Post by Ric »

when i set my boat up and finally spashed in 01 i had put in a custom aluminum waste holding tank and placed it under the forward deck in the galley .,.,it was made of 1/8 inch stock.. iT LET GO end of last season AND HAD TO BE REPLACED..WHEN I BROUGHT THE OLD ONE FOR DUPLICATION i WAS TOLD 6 YEARS IS THE LIFE EXPECTANCY OF AN ALUMINUM WASTE TANK.. 1/8th inch I suggested we make this one thicker 1/4 inch stock, for more longevity
,,he said nope won't get any more years out of a thicker stock i said why not,?,
,The rot attacks the weakest spot which in this case is the the welds on the couplings and the couplings themselves (the sweep in the sweep out).,.,I also had holes in the tank itself but i could see what he was talking about as the couplings and associated welds were done and so was the tank!.,.,.,pulled my deacks to non skid them etc ,,,saw some rot pn the starboard side of the main bulkhead etc .,.,.,had to perform brain surgery with a saws all and cut it all out and replace and join what i took out and fix the problem of the cause of the water rain water,.,.,turnrd into one huge job ,.,.,.disconnect exhaust, diesl copper fuel lines a stringer ,.,.basicaly the whole cockpit is wide open with decks side panels engine covers and side panels removed....I will take some images of my cockpit from the stern to the galley bulkhead while it is wide open .,,.,.i see that there is a couple of guys getting started on massive work .,.,might give them some ideas
nic

Post by nic »

Frankly, I don't like ally anything....fibreglass lasts for 100yrs plus so why bother with tin, except for beer? Especially in salt water.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Harv

Post by Harv »

That's exactly why I replaced my gas tank with the new formula, fiberglass tank. Got it yesterday and it looks sweet!!
Harv
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Harv,

Good! Been wondering......

Br,

Patrick
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

The current (June 08) issue of "Power and Motoryacht" has some good info on holding tank maintenance (page 34) and an article by an industry expert on holding tank issues in general (pages 36 and 38).

While researching head/holding tank systems last year I found this article which is the best info on this issue I have seen.

http://www.marine-surveyor.com/newsletters/9910.html

Also, having been asked by someone on this site a few months ago for the info I had on my system, I prepared a writeup with pics and a schematic, etc, which is too lengthy to insert here, but if someone wants a copy of it post your email address and I will be happy to send it to you.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I asked this once before but got no answer. Why not use the original water tank. It's fiberglass, right next to the head and the right size. Anybody?
Don't plan to use the tank for water, she's a day boat. If I feel the need for fresh water, I'll bring jugs. plenty.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
nic

Post by nic »

Superstition maybe, not quite the word but something about linking the two concepts. You can't change it back.

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Try contacting Ronco. They will custom make a plastic tank. They do a nice job. Did mine, exactly to the dimensions I gave them. I put it outboard of the starbord engine. Not big enough though. So I am trying to figure out a better spot.