How to sharpen drill bits?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Peter

How to sharpen drill bits?

Post by Peter »

I recently picked up a nice box containing a set of Silver and Deming drill bits. These are bits in larger diameters with a stepped shank to fit into a 1/2 in. chuck.

Unfortunately they are pretty dull. I have looked around for instructions on how to sharpen them (or jigs or tools) without much success. The "Drill Dr." type jigs simply don't go big enough.

In the past I worked with an older machinist who could hand sharpen a drill bit in about two seconds at a grinder, but unfortunately that was years ago and I no longer know his whereabouts. Too bad. If I did I'd simply pay him a visit with my bits in one hand and a bottle of his choice in the other.

Instead now I am on my own to try and figure out how to hand sharpen drill bits...anyone care to get me started?

I don't mind sacrificing a few older (smaller) bits in the learning process.

Thanks

Peter
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

What sort of grinding equipment do you have?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Peter,

Hand sharpening a drill bit on a floor or brnch top grinder is an aquired skill that takes a kot of practice.

You need the right grinding wheel, & a container of water to start. Too fine of a wheel won't cut fadt enough, too course of a wheel will never develope a good cutting edge. Grinder speed should in in the 1750 rpm range.

You'll, (if you're as blind as I am), need an Optivisor, I prefer the #3 lens.

You need to research & understand the various characteristics of the drill bits you want to sharpen. Pitch, web, rake, etc.

Another useful tool is a drill point gauge.

Here's a very basic rundown:
Page 1
Page 2

Br,

Patrick
Peter

Post by Peter »

Thanks for the direction. I will give it a shot.

I know it isn't as easy as it looks.

PETER
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I may have a drill sharpening tool at work. I will look tomorrow. I never use it for sharpening, but if I have it and you think it will work then it's yours.