New York Regulations

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ric

New York Regulations

Post by Ric »

Heard a disturbing "rumor" that in the state of New York in the boat yards.,,..,you cant paint your bottom,,,that all sanding residue has to be collected and recycled, that you need some License to handle the bottom paint etc, drop cloths (which is a reasonable request I would think and some kind of a shrink enclosure to catch the airborne and keep it enclosed to be retrieved off of the ground(tarps) etc.,.Yeah sure !!!!!!,
I think its the license thing you need a license tyo work with it (allmost like a lead paint type of thing,..,.,
This revelation came about as a result of a guy in my yard, who bought his 33 displacement trawler in New york somewhere in a yard and was not allowed to paint his hull , for the trip back to Newburyport..,.,the yard did it for 1,200$.,.,.,and he was informed of the regulations and he had a litany of lanquage that he spouted off to give credence to the assertion.,.,.,.,.,., That they gave him ,..,.,.,.,you cant do it,,we must,
can this be true? can"t sand and paint your bottom?.,.,.Meanwhile .,.,,.I'm sanding away and trusting to the god"s
randall

Post by randall »

ric....its true in yards.....you're not allowed to work below the water line.....meanwhile everyone else (like me) does what ever they like...its an unenforceable law for people who keep their boats at home.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

You cant paint your bottom here. Been like that for some time. Only the yard can do it and they have to send the guy to school so he can do it.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Ric,

Many yards in many states are having to conform to newer environmental regulations. The number one contamination factor is and always has been antifouling paints & their hevy metal content.

The yard that Bruce & I worked out of mostly, started laying down ground cover over 7 years ago. It's a black continous fiber material about 20 mils thick, 20' wide, on a roll of about 600'. The material will allow water to pass through but traps any particulate material of about 30 microns or larger. While the yard was still allowing someone to do their own bottom paint work, they were very closely supervised by the yard to be sure they stay compliant with the EPA rules.

Many yards, for over a decade, have required a boat having the bottom sanded to be fully skirted from above the boot stripe to the ground to contain the dust & prevent it from being blown around the yard. Especially onto the guy's boat who is just about ready to re-launch, just finished polishing or has a new paint job. Wanta' see mad? Let your ground down antifouling paint drift over & light on another customer's clean boat or freshly detailed vehicle.

I personally stopped doing any bottom paint, removal or application, over 10 years ago due to the toxic nature of the material. I won't touch the stuff, by and large. I already deal with too many "Harmful To Your Health" substances as it is...

It's way past time for boatyards to clean up their act. More power to the yards that are doing the right thing.

Br,

Patrick
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Right after I became the Steward of AJ in the early 90s I had some coonasses take her from Venice to a Parish owned boatyard in Empire, LA....in Plaquemines Parish they don't have public libraries, they have public boatyards....anyway the Parish has a Travelift and a big concrete yard.....AJ had about 20+ years of bottom paint on her, and the coonasses wet sandblasted it down to the gel coat......I went by there and they had two open 55 gallon drums full of my bottom paint chips they had blasted off....I asked what they were gonna do with the chips.....One of them said he was gonna dump it in the driveway going to his double wide..."Uncle Vic, dat dere paint chips work way better than pea gravel"...the Coonass Way.....

On the other hand, if they live in fresh water like AJ does now, bottom paint is a luxury, not a necessity. Tickfaw River diesel is creeping toward $5....ouch....

UV
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

just hit $5.10 this weekend by me
Harv

Post by Harv »

Anyone doing work on bottoms has to be ASA certified to handle pesticides. That is why the yards don't allow individuals from doing their own work in NY. After 2 consecutive seasons cleaning 2 bottoms, I will gladly let someone else do it from now on. However, It pisses me off that for some reason, the yard always seems to use more paint than I ever used by myself.
Harv
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I can attest to being @#$&^% as having been someone who showed up at their boat on a Saturday morning getting ready to launch, to find the topside black from the sand blasting that was done to the boat next to me.

Happened to me twice. What a pain to clean off. The yard no moves all boats to be blasted away from the others.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I thought that was an Environmental ruling that was national in nature and not just NY State. My marina had to send their staff to classes to be cerificated. They still spill the chips and drip paint on the ground. The guys behind the store counter had to attend classes about the selling of cigarettes and tobacco too. All tobacco products had to be moved beyond the reach of customers. They must be asked for and handed to you only after a judgment is made that you are over 21 years of age or have been properly ID'd as being so. I just got a new Loomis fly rod that was labeled with a sticker that stated it contained materials in manufacture that the State of California deems to possibly cause Cancer. I think the world is going nuts...or at least the do-gooders are that seem to be taking over the country. Walter
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Dang Walter! Does that mean you can't eat it fi the fishing is poor!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Rawleigh- I bought a Fly Tying Vise that had a California sticker on it that advised me not to put the vise in my mouth as it has brass parts (brass contains lead). Based on that mentality, one wonders what a goddamned car you buy in California comes with.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

one wonders what a goddamned car you buy in California comes with
They no longer paint new cars being shipped to the Fruit Bowl. They just cover'em completely with warning stickers...