More Chimera

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JP Dalik

More Chimera

Post by JP Dalik »

But I threw in a story too. We fished over the weekend 84miles out 104 miles home. Day troll in the Toms ended up inshore of the Thousand; lines in at 6:30am lines out at 3:45pm. One billfish bite and 2 coolers full of gaffer dolphin (thanks to GOD for the floating pallet). Boat ran like a dream 2300rpm and 26.2 kts most of the way home, like always the last 35 miles was slower.

Take a look at the shots. You can tell we made the trip (nice looking chines heh)

Check out the teak overhang (look ma! no through bolts- all tapped into aluminum plate to avoid the bullet holes).

12v and 110v flush mounted lighting
Guess I should of chamoised off the deck before this shot.
Image Now its just sealed the real magic happens after the black plexi is removed and the sandblasted glass installed. The lighting in the overhang is blue led. Another 15 coats and she'll be lookin right.
Image The riggers are loosened and tightened via a jam cleat accessed through the holes in the cockpit panels.
We brought the tower rail back past the edge of the platform to maximize the space behind the helm chair, a guy can get behind and work the center rigger if needed.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

JP, That friggin boat is awesome !!!!!!! WOW!! The detail is unbelievable, great work.
Mitch
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Just when many of us thought we had seen it all with our beloved B31s you come up with this......... Really something off the charts JP. Congrats. You have raised the bar a lot. Detail is amazing. Not a flaw......

UV
Rob C

GOOD JOB!

Post by Rob C »

Fricking nice work!!! That gave me goose bumps. I thought I had "some" work to do, now I have to rethink that altogether. What is the power plant in her?
Rob C
P. S. AND she fishes too! Even better.
"sometimes you go 8 sometimes you hit dirt"

Rob C
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Awesome work...did you fabricate the hard top?
JK

Post by JK »

Wow that top is awesome! Nice work. What engines?

--JK
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Jimmy,
I found one that was really close to what we wanted in an early top by Pat Karwin(ex-Tower Power now Gulfstream Tower) I simply asked to go up to 2" single legs, this allowed the tower to be simpler by removing the ancillary small diameter support tubing. We adjusted some of the pipe out of the line of sight and opted to keep the forward support V in its standard location because it really is a key brace point.
In reality the flybridge rail across the back didn't have to come down vertically to the flybridge overhang but we did it to help stiffen the overhang no support the rocket launcher.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Buju

Post by Buju »

Damn... almost drooled all over my keyboard. Really, really nice work. Almost looks like the Merritt or Rybo yards got a hold of her for awhile... wow.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

JP,

Awesome looking job on the boat! really looks good.

DQ
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Wow! Thats unreal. You should get some kind of award or something.But you have the boat.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Damn man, that looks great.

You have a lot to be proud of!

Dug
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

OK, one other question how the hell you get up in the bridge?
neil

Post by neil »

jp the wife and i see you in our lagoon all the time stop by for a cocktail there is always a slip behind my bahia mar neil
craig mac

Post by craig mac »

i have also eliminated my bridge ladder---i have a one piece belly rail that i must step over to enter the bridge---i also added some 60's vintage side steps that are mounted to the pilistars
JGomber

More Chimera, WOW!

Post by JGomber »

JP,
If I didn't love Triton II so much I would probably throw rocks. Chimera has just given me a lot of great ideas. I just won't think about the time and boat units right now.
Someone beat me to the "How do you get up there?" question, so I'll ask a couple of others...
What is that "Glasscutter" in front of Chimera?
AND
What camera did you use for those photos. Theyre excellent.
Jerry, Triton II
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Jimmy,
We are still young so bouncing up and down is how we do it. We put non skid patches on the side. Thinking about some type of step.

Jerry,

The Glasscutter is an 01 Silverhawk my family did when new.

KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Nice work JP. I really love the inset lights and center outrigger. Now that's a novelty and quite unique and it means "catch more fish" Dave K
Keep Fishing...
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Real, real nice.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

J.P.: Magnificent. How do you like the spreader lights fixed in like that? I have Gulfstream doing my hardtop right now and I'm thinking about going with the pivot mounts so I can point them around. I don't think they look as nice but my old ones could move and it came in handy for lighting up the dock or pointing them straight down into the engines if needed. Stop by the yard, the 270 B's came in today and we painted the flybridge tonight.
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

WOW !!!! Great job !! Nice details !!!!!
TailhookTom

WOW!

Post by TailhookTom »

JK:

The boat is THE STANDARD for all of us now! If that is what you did on the outside, what did you do to the inside? Got any pics of the interior?

Tom
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The interior is in a state of flux. (read as;"it ain't quite done") Starting this fall we'll finish it off. We opted to stay with the original layout and update the finish, add cabinets and so on. The boat had some modifications when we got her and I really like the amount of storage in the cabinets and lockers. Probably won't have any new pic's till spring time.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"