Outrigger installation on 25 FB Sportfish any help??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

amuh60

Outrigger installation on 25 FB Sportfish any help??

Post by amuh60 »

What is the best place to mount 1 7/8 " ID wishbone mounts on this boat? The outriggers are aluminum (non spreader) 18 1/2 ' and 1 3/4" base. I am debating gunnel or bridge! Not sure which would be better for fishing. Also, worried about the structural support in both places. I have even thought about exchanging the wishbone mounts for the gunnel mounts but believe the wishbones will be more effective and give me more options. I am using the boat for bill fishing in Hawaii. Any experts please give me your advice!!! I know this is for a 25 not 31 but have not been able to get account activated on the 25 forum.

THANKS,

ANDY

[/img]
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Andy- a lot of smart guys here. But 25bertram.com may be a better source for info on that question. In fact, some of these guys cross both sites.
Good luck

John
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I was the steward of a B25 for some 17 years and also used her for billfishing here in La. I used the wishbbones and mounted the base on the gunnels, one arm on the pliaster, and made a stainless steel support that spanned the rear of the side window from the hardtop to the vertical below the window that the forward arm attached to. I adjusted the riggers so they laid out almost 90 degrees. Probably caught 100 marlin with that set up. The stainless support for the forward arm was fabricated from stainless flat bar with a plate welded in the middle for attaching the arm base. I did some blacksmithing with a torch and anvil to get the curves to fit the top. Make a mockup from some scrap wood and play with the angles....worked for me.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Andy,

You'll probably find yourself sticking around here more than elsewhere...

The bridge/house top on the B25 is pretty whimpy, more so even than the B26, & the B31 could stand some reinforcement, at least the FBC.

A gunnel mount for the main tube would be your best bet with 3/4" plywood backing & 1/8" backing plates. For your pilasters, 1/2" plywood backing inside w/ fender washers will do for the wishbones & drop adjuster arm.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

Br,

Patrick
randall

Post by randall »

the bridge is doable if you reinforce them

amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Thanks for the advice! Looks like its time to get to work.

Thanks,

ANDY
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

PIC of the "ANNIE C".

Thanks Again,

Andy

ImageImage
amuh60

Post by amuh60 »

Randall-

Do you have any problems fishing the riggers from the bridge? Do you put your rods in the gunnel holders while trolling? Do you have any issues with the riggers being unstable in rough water? I really like them on the bridge because it gets them out of the way. Also, you don't have to worry about doing the 2-step on the way up to the bow.

ANDY

randall

Post by randall »

andy....i've only used them a few times as i do most of my fishing in the bay and im not that into stripers. however its no problem at all...even with just two people, and ive trolled alone a few times....i just run the boat from below. i only run one line from each and the rod is right there. no problem getting to the bow and ive slammed pretty good with them down and they are still there. the boat was used for years as a serious canyon platform with these riggers.....BTW...nice boat!!