B28 Half Tower dimensions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Skipper Dick

B28 Half Tower dimensions

Post by Skipper Dick »

I've looked around South Florida for the past month or so for a used half tower for my B28 and have found a couple, but I'm not sure they will fit. If anyone that has a half tower or hard top could measure the width, length and the heighth off the bridge floor and post it, I'd be ever so grateful. I found one that is 8x8x8. 8 feet seems a little high, but maybe the tubing could be cut down some.

Thanks in advance

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Bill Fuller who posts here has a hardtop on his B28.

If he doesn't respond to this thread, PM me for his e-mail address.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

Dick,

I have posted a couple of pictures of my half tower, although I am not sure they will help you much. Mine certainly is much less than 8' from the floor of the bridge to the top, and probably well under 7'. I am 5'9" so you may be able to get a little perspective from the pics. By the way, I love the half tower. I am leaving on vacation on Saturday and will not be at the boat until I return to San Diego on May 5th. I will be happy to take some measurements at that time. I will be in Ormond Beach, Florida next week.

Good luck with your quest for a half tower, it will be well worth the effort.

Bill

Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Dick,
I have attached pictures of my half-tower for your review. The key on a B28 is to keep it light, low and strong. Overhead electronics boxes add weight and height that this boat does not handle well. Let me know if you want dimensions for this design.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Harry,

That is exactly what I am looking for. Neat and clean and light. I would appreciate the dimensions very much. Also, who built it for you and what did they charge?

Dick
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Dick,
I will get over to the boat yard on Tuesday to get some dimensions. If you need additional pictures please email me at harrywoods@optonline.net. The total cost of the half-tower was about $2,000.
Harry
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Dick,
After two days of rain, I finally got to the yard to get dimensions. They are as follows:
Height under pipe 78"
Fore to Aft 74" (max. sides taper back on front
edge)
Width Aft 77"
Width Front 71"
Width at base (max) 100"
Front Supports 59"
My boat is an early model and I believe the later bridges may have different dimensions. For reference, the inside dimension from side-to-side where the tower mounts is 84". I have a radar mount, two antenna mounts and a center rigger aft. Above the helm is an overhead grab-rail and a GPS antenna mount on the forward rail. Let me know if you need pictures. Best two-thousand I ever spent. If I never hear a bimini and straps flapping in the wind, I will be a happy camper.
Harry
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Harry-Who in the Hampton Bays area made that top for you? Walter
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Walter,
Dave Wessler has been dong my work for over twenty-years. He does a great job at reasonable prices. His number is 631-728-2398. Brewster knows him and can give you a second opinion on his work.
Harry
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Harry,

Thanks for all you data. The dimensions will help during my search. I found a top maker here isn Cape Coral and will pay them a visit in the next day or so. My canvas bimini top and the flapping straps are weathering and getting in bad shape. The one picture you posted is great, but if you have others, you can post them along to my email address at rpambrun@comcast.net.

Thanks so much

Dick
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I can tell you Dave Wessler is the best. He has made several things for me. Your lucky if he does work for you. He built a tower for my Mako that was bulletproof. Last year he made my new bow rail and its mint. He is a great craftsman.
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Dick,
I cannot get mail through to rpamburn@comcast.net. Please confirm that this is the correct address. It could also be the size of the files. It may be easier to send you a CD.
Harry
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Harry,

I got the emails, but in this post you had rpamburn@comcast.net and it is rpambrun@comcast.net. Thanks for the pix.

Dick
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Dick:

Have you tried Atlantic Towers?

http://www.atlantictowers.com/

Look in their photo gallery for their B28 towers - could be that they have a profile that fits your needs at a reasonable price and could provide you with dimensions from their database along with current pricing.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285