Fresh Awlcraft topcoat on- now what to do with a few runs?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptDana

Fresh Awlcraft topcoat on- now what to do with a few runs?

Post by CaptDana »

Faithful-
We were able to get the Awcraft topcoat shot last night-- Painting went good- first coat looked flawless- but on the second coat we we had a few spots where we had some runs. Is there anything I can do about them?
I have been told that the dust--etc can be hit with 1000-1500 grit -hand blocked and then the whole finish buffed out after waiting 72 hrs.(any recommendations on the best way to approach this also?)

I can't imagine shooting regular Grip and not having the option to repair the 'uh oh's"

Thanks
Capt Dana
Dana Bonney
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Capt Dana..... I have a bodshop and know all too well about that Indian painter "Running Bear" To fix: Sand run with a little piece of paint stick wrapped with 600grit sandpaper. sand it level and flat with the rest of the paint job. Then: Sand by hand with 1500-2000grit paper for a good while to get the 600grit sand marks out. Then: get a fine liquid polishing compound and take an old sock or T-shirt and by hand rub until it shines again appx 5 minutes or so. You can use a polisher if you like but a rookie can cut thru quickly on fresh paint. Make sure you use 600 to cut the run down completly cause the 1000-2000 will just ride over the run. I have even used 400 then 600 then 1500 on bad runs. If you have a very bad run use the 400 just on the raised part for a bit to speed up the process and use masking tape all around the edges of the run so the 400 only touches the run itself. Good Luck Troy31Tiara"DRIFTER" Lafitte La
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out