Harv - Pics You Requested

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

Harv - Pics You Requested

Post by JohnCranston »

Hey Harv

Just found three pictures of the helm, cockpit, and engine room. I do not have any of the Cabin cabinets with the doors opened - I will try to get some the next time we check on the boat.

I have also attached a pic of the bow of the boat - there is a bow eye attached to the boat - which we use instead of a cleat.

Pam

I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

I love that boat. Can not say it enough. You really have to be so proud of it.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks

gee that transom box is huuuuuuuge!
Harv
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Awsome just AWSOME
She is beautiful John you should be very proud of the work done.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

If I can't say anything mean, I guess I should just say nothing at all.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Several years ago, I discussed with Regino Cabrera the fact that leaving the bilge space below the engines openly connected to the main bilge was no longer CG approved...

If you leave it like you have it, and have an oil leak or spill, that's going to drain directly into the main bilge and get spit out by you bilge pumps. Dumping, in any way, including accidentially, is going to bring a seriously expensive fine. If the CG further inspects and finds you with the eng bilges common to the main bilge, they'll double the fine... (They also double fines for shooting liquid soap on an oil film.)

You need to put a water tight dam across the opening just low enough to allow clearance for the shaft. Be a lot easier to do now than when the engines are in place...

Br,

Patrick
randall

Post by randall »

can you imagine engine oil or tranny fluid gettin in the bilge and getting pumped out while in the slip at your marina?.......uh ,oh yeah ,almost forgot about that one. of course wasnt near as bad as the time in port eades when the diesel nozzle hit the water still pumpin and walter looks at me and says..."you think i should turn it off?"

john....the boat looks great........and the only beer i like is dos equis
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

CaptPatrick wrote:John,

Several years ago, I discussed with Regino Cabrera the fact that leaving the bilge space below the engines openly connected to the main bilge was no longer CG approved...

Br,

Patrick
Capt. Pat,

In the case of my B28, does that mean the tunnel under the fuel tank which runs fore and aft should be blocked off?

Thanks as always for all your info.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

South LA produces a lot of oil, both on shore and off shore as you guys know from visiting Port Eads....actually natural oil & gas seeps up into the water all around the mouth of the Miss. River. A diesel hose dropped in the water down there is nothing compared to the natural seeps. Keeps the place green since roseau cane thrives on oil..

Now back in the real old days of Port Eads, say in the late 60s and early 70s, the ruler of the Parish, Judge Perez, decided that Port Eads needed natural gas service....one of the oil companies that leased Parish water bottoms had a little gas well out in East Bay behind Port Eads and came to the rescue...ran a 4" flow line a few miles to PE, put a big gas meter in, and we had natural gas.....no "smell bad" treatment, just gas. The N.O. Big Game clubhouse had a huge gas range in the kitchen, there were small gas flares all over the marina for lights and bug control, even a few big boilers run by gas for the hot water showers. The gas line and well is gone now, even before Katrina destroyed the place. Folks in the oil and gas business down there used pure horsepower to make things go...push a barge with 100,000 gallons of diesel down the river from Venice with 100,000 gallons of fresh water in the same barge, in the same tank....oil is lighter than water, so they would let the barge sit for a couple of hours, then pump the diesel off the top of the tank until they saw water, then push the barge to the front dock and offload the water into the big tanks.

Good ole times down there, glad many of the Faithful have been able to see it. Some have told me it was a time warp....How about it Mike, tell 'em about the Pain Killer.....

UV
nic

Post by nic »

mike ohlstein wrote:If I can't say anything mean, I guess I should just say nothing at all.
Pam wins.....ha ha, Pam wins!

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jim,

I'm not itimate with the details of the B28, but if an engine bilge can drain into the main bilge, other than by overflowing a dam, and end up at a bilge pump, it's an un-approved situation.

Any boat manufactored, or re-manufactored after about 1991, (don't really know the specific year), it's a violation of Coast Guard Rules. The rule came into effect at the same time as the general dumping & clean waters rules. If every thing on the boat is factory original & it was manufactored before the rule took effect, the CG will usually overlook it the first time, but may still fine you for dumping oil. They will also suggest that you correct the problem & may issue a warning citation, with instructions to correct with a time limit for re-inspection.

No inboard powered boat is exempt. Always easier to correct a problem before the shallow water navy climbs aboard...

Br,

Patrick
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks everyone for the thumbs up. Mike, sorry about that bow eye pic that we left off the first time around.
Capt. Patrick,
I asked Pam to take a bunch of pics of the engine room, but I think that there is only 1 or 2. The beefed up stringers go from the rear engine bulkhead to the front engine bulkhead, glassed in all of the way, so, in affect, forming a sort of box. There's drain holes in the stringers that would enable any spillage to enter the bilge area. We thought that we would install rubber flap over plugs in these holes for all general purposes. What I'm trying to say is, any leakage would be trapped within the stringer area until the plugs are removed. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

JohnCranston wrote: Capt. Patrick,
I asked Pam to take a bunch of pics of the engine room, but I think that there is only 1 or 2. The beefed up stringers go from the rear engine bulkhead to the front engine bulkhead, glassed in all of the way, so, in affect, forming a sort of box. There's drain holes in the stringers that would enable any spillage to enter the bilge area. We thought that we would install rubber flap over plugs in these holes for all general purposes. What I'm trying to say is, any leakage would be trapped within the stringer area until the plugs are removed. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks.
John, it makes fuzzy sense to me, but it ain't gonna' fly with the CG...

I'm very familar with the design of the Cabrera engine space inserts, he designed and prototyped them on Gerry Santiago's "Zero Cavity". That's when & why I had the conversation with him.

That engine bilge has to be completely sealed preventing any liquid from escaping the confines of the space. Period.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's an easy fix at this point....
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Thanks, Nic.
Capt. Patrick,
Where could the leakage go? The Cabrera's rear engine bulkhead is glassed to the hull from stringer to stringer, and then the stringers are encapsulated all of the way to the front engine bulkhead. Where could the oil go if the plugs are in place? Just a little more help, Patrick, so I can understand, please.
Thanks, John.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

OK, I'm refering to the massive tunnel hole that the shaft, from the transmission, goes through the aft bulkhead. That hole, as shown in you image, goes down to and flush with the hull. If liquid level exceeds the small dead rise space, toward the center line, it will overflow into the bilge space, containing the shaft logs. That bilge space leads aft to limber holes that drain into the aft center bilge, then connected below the fuel tank forward. The center bilge has the bilge pumps... The dam needs to be at the base of that tunnel hole and as high as it can be made without interfearing with the shaft or coupling.

I personnaly would also permanently plug any drain hole. The ONLY liquid could escape the engine bilge would be to overflow the dam. That'd be ALOT of liquid...

Any liquid trapped in the engine bilge has to be removed manually; sponge, pump, bucket, dixie, cup or whatever it takes.

Br,

Patrick
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Capt. Patrick,
O.K., I've got it now. I thought that there was only a hole for the shaft to go through. On Pam's further inspection, the hole is shaped like an "N" and goes all the way to the bottom of the boat. Building a little wall there shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for pointing it out for me.
John.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Vicroy wrote: Good ole times down there, glad many of the Faithful have been able to see it. Some have told me it was a time warp....How about it Mike, tell 'em about the Pain Killer.....UV
Pain Killer was just one of the many wonderous sights to behold at Port Eades.

Where else could you pull your boat right up to your camp....

Or behold a First Assistant US Attorney, standing in the water while leaning on box of lightening?

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

patrick....i guess my boats as illegal as they come.....the engines are in the bilge.

nice shots mike...."culture clash at the coonass country club"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

john
real nice, best of luck with her
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

patrick....i guess my boats as illegal as they come.....the engines are in the bilge.
Randy,

You're fine Your boat is about as stock as they come... Grandfather clause fits to a T.

Br,

Patrick
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Those are some good shots of PAINKILLER outside Mike O, but inside was another story, Huh! The only bathroom you could piss in, being a little Rummed up and miss the toliet and hit the water below with the hole in floor around the toliet @ UV1.

Thats also the first place I met Capt. Patrick late the first night when we came in all rummed up and laughing and woke Capt. Pat up in one of the bunks in PAINKILLER from laughing and giggiling and carrying on. Capt. Pat was not a happy camper from us waking him up, but hell you couldn't see anything inside PAINKILLER @ night. He quickly got over it.

Also UV evicted a guy that I can't remmember his name from Port Eads that came with Mac for waving a gun around or something in PAINKILLER, I don't recall right off.

What a Great Time that week was, who was the guy that brought all the steaks there, that was some damn good eatin I must say. There was always good eatin there.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

who was the guy that brought all the steaks there
That'd be Garry Kahn from MN & his Canadian buddy... Boy, those two got "Culture Shock" in megavolts. They left on Wednesday, back to a more civilized & gentile home. When I asked Garry a couple of times "Well, what do think?" All he could say was "It's different..." Little or no further conversation could be illicited from either of 'em.

Think that Garry still lurks here on occassion, by haven't seen him post for years...

Was a Hoot!

Br,

Patrick
capy

Post by capy »

[quote="Capt. DQ

Also UV evicted a guy that I can't remmember his name from Port Eads that came with Mac for waving a gun around or something in PAINKILLER, I don't recall right off.

What a Great Time that week was, who was the guy that brought all the steaks there, that was some damn good eatin I must say. There was always good eatin there.

DQ[/quote]

DQ,

I was at the UVI 3 with timmy all liqoured up and raising hell, we were bunking with Snow and we asked him to come out and join us....he answered no...we pressured him again and opened the door that's when we heard him rack a .45.....

I got real quiet after that.

I love Port Eads...nothing like anywhere!!

Thank you UV for inviting me to UVI3 and 5.

Paul
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Thanks Capt. Pat.....you're memory serves you better than mine did that week.

Paul,
I was at the UVI 3 with timmy all liqoured up and raising hell, we were bunking with Snow and we asked him to come out and join us....he answered no...we pressured him again and opened the door that's when we heard him rack a .45.....
Paul,

Now thats funny...I would like to have seen ya'lls face expression's about that time, the Snowman does not like to be pressured, but he's a great sport when it came to everybody @ the UVI.

Van Hastings was the guys name that UV told...you got to go boy.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I expected to see Randall wading down the dock with the alligator following him!! Yes, I remember the head on Painkiller! Looking through to the water with the marshbugs running over your feet and up your legs! Not conducive to taking care of your business, but at least no one hogged the bathroom! And Randall getting rained on while sleeping on the couch!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
randall

Post by randall »

when we got off the boats i didnt understand why everyone was in such a hurry to claim a bunk. i pride myself on being low maintenance..but pain killer stretched the envelope. first time i sat on the head and realized it wasn't attached to the floor, i realized i wasn't in kansas anymore.
In Memory of Vicroy

Yeah, it was Van.....I finally had to point at him and catch Snow's eye......the rest is history....on the other hand, he repented, got some good grovellers to speak for him, and he returned for a few more UVIs and was the perfect gentleman.

Yep, those were some good times. I talked to Tiger Sutton not long ago and they plan to have their castle camp fixed back up by the end of the summer, and he said we are always welcome there. The UVI 5 where he graciously let us use his fancy digs got him hooked on offshore fishing, he has a big boat now and has won some of the big money tourneys on the Gulf. No new word on anyone picking up PE and going with a marina operation....for now its every man for himself down there. The UVI 8.5 is still on for the last week of July out of Venice Marina. I spoke to the Surgeon General a couple of days ago and his big Viking is about done from his 8V92 woes....the money's in the iron, or nowdays, maybe in the fuel tank.....

Fixing to head to the camp shortly. Menu tomorrow nite for our weekly blow out is I'm doing a big Boston butt pork roast stuffed with fresh garlic on the grill for 7 or 8 hours (a mini couchon de lait), The Minster de Pollo (Ret.) is doing sweet potato crunch and lima beans in tasso, another couple is doing potato salad, another dessert, and the list goes on.

Aiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee!

UV
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Pam Here -

Thanks to all of your responses and assistance.

Thanks Mike for not being a "Meanie"!!

Uncle Vic - I am checking out my calendar - I think it is time that I meet some of the "Faithful". I understand that you are doing another UVI and wanted to know if John and I can crash the party. If so, please let me know if there is any Katrina trailers available and the dates.

We will be driving over, stopping in Hackberry to see a friend; stopping for a couple of days in New Orleans (we will work or way to Venice or go back through from Venice).

If anyone has room on a boat we would love to chip in - but if not; maybe we will charter a bay boat or hang out; do not want to impose - just like to see everyone.

John had so much fun the last time - I was jealous!

I might be the only female there in a bikini; but I would like go!

Thanks

Pam
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Pam...you just said the magic word! Walter
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Bikini? I seem to remember something about body warmth and cold water ditching on another thread. No wonder John wants to get the BM out on the water so badly!
In Memory of Vicroy

Pam - sure, we always can find room for you and John.

UV