Dug's world...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

Dug's world...

Post by Dug »

Last night Liz and I brought home our first puppy.

She is asleep on my lap right now in the office.

She was born on March 1, and is a bouncing, talkative, friendly and cute as heck German Shepherd.

I am thinking our worlds have changed for the better right now, despite the 4 or so hours of sleep last night that were had between howling fest's. I know the first night is often the toughest, due to having been seperated from the litter for the first time.

She seems to like to sleep on my left foot as well...

Summer is going to be fun, and this little lady should keep putting grins on Liz's and my face for years to come.

Thought I would share the fun news!

Dug
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Congratulations!

Just remember!

Always try to be as good a person as your dog thinks you are!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

IRGuy wrote:Always try to be as good a person as your dog thinks you are!

Cause the rest of us know how your really are

Hey, did you use the bow chock money to pay for the dog, and your last vacation??

Guess were all stock holders in the puppy. I want the ears, you can have the crap end.....
Carl

Post by Carl »

Sorry to say it's not only the first night.

Congrads...these new additions really make a house a home. No matter how tough or late you get home that little pup will always have a tail wagging for you.

Whats her name?

Carl
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dug,

Puppies are cute & fun at first... You need two items now to keep 'em that way as they grow up:

Bark Control

Cesar Millan

Enjoy!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Sim and Patrick, I hear ya! Patrick are you referencing the collar or the dog silencer contraption?

Thudd and all who bought bow chocks, I am told they are coming in the container to be delivered in May. I was not happy that we got bumped, as I would like to have this over with and all of you have your chocks!

She does not have a name yet. Liz and I are thinking hard. I like Liz's thoughts right now however, as the last name she thought would be good was Marlin.

We are thinking we will live with her for a couple days to see if the name fits.

D
Carl

Post by Carl »

Umm..yeah I guess that better then the way we did it. Came up with a name then found the dog.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Patrick are you referencing the collar or the dog silencer contraption?
Silencer Pro...
Dug

Post by Dug »

And it really works?

You know what I like? You can silence your neighbors dogs!!!

Come to think of it, though it only has a range of 200-300 feet, would it work on Thudd?

D
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Dug,

Congrats on your new addition. They're a ton of fun.

If you have not already done so I would plan on crate training her. It's the best thing you can do for the both of you.

I crate trained both my dogs and will do so again when the time arises.
Regards,

Doug L.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

thuddddddd wrote:Hey, did you use the bow chock money to pay for the dog, and your last vacation??

Guess were all stock holders in the puppy. I want the ears, you can have the crap end.....
Timmy,

You are one funny son of a bitch!
Regards,

Doug L.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

And it really works?
Did, (and does), on my my two mutts. Bought mine when the neighbors behind & across the fence from me brought in a pair of donkeys. My dogs were drivin' me so nuts barkin' at the jackasses that I was nearing the point of inserting a gun their ears... Took about two days to correct the donkey barks.

Now I only turn it on when they go ballistic over a bobcat or coyote prowling around. Shuts 'em right up after the second bark. Used it in the wee hours of this morning for the first time in over a week.

Collars ain't worth a crap when you've got two, (or more), young dogs that still like to rough house. They just use the collars as leverage...

Another nice feature is the remote key chain transmitter. Turn the unit on, but turn the sensitivity way down to the lowest setting. Then toggle the unit on with the remote to correct any other objectionable behavior that you want to correct. Use a stern, calm, "NO" command at the same time as pushing the button. Works well for chewing shoes, digging holes, getting ready to crap the carpet, etc. The unit, on battery power, is fully portable. Would work perfectly on the boat.

The object is to divert the dog's attention away from whatever is being done. Use it only for corrective measures. Use another form of attention getting device for positive commands like "COME", "SIT", & "STAY". Something unique like a silent whistle or Halloween clicker, reinforced with a treat when the behavior is correctly responded to. Same voice inflection for all commands...

(Hint: In the beginning, start the "COME" training by squatting or sitting on the ground. Even as older dogs, they will almost always run to you if you're not towering above them.)

Keep your emotions to yourseslf. An animal can sense your state of mind even if you think otherwise. Everything has to do with calm & focused, but commanding energy on you part. Always make eye contact during commands. Don't reward bad behavior by showing affection in place of correction.

Hell, I'm sounding too much like Cesar Clone here... Buy the DVDs.

Br,

Patrick
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I'm happy to say we don't have dogs any more, nor even cats. In my distant youth I was the deer dog master at our hunting club in north LA....Walker hounds - yeah we ran the deer in the swamp with dogs, Walker hounds, very efficient, but despicable dogs. I would take a axe handle in the pen to feed them, had to knock the crap out of most of them...now that modified their attitude a lot, a few whacks in the head with a good axe handle. In short, dogs suck.

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

In short, dogs suck
Naw, their teeth get in way of a good BJ; that's why the bitch weans them in just a few weeks...

My male Lab found out he could, with strong perserverence & stronger jaws, mangle my wildlife wire mesh fence to make getaways. After several futile attempts at reinforcing the fence, I wired in a 900vac low impedence electric wire around the full inside perimeter of the fence.

Low dollar substitute for one of those prissy hidden fence systems, and works better. Plus no shock collar or batteries. They won't come within 3 feet of the fence anymore. Almost as good as an axe handle, but less work on my part, & I don't have to be onhand to administer justice...

Br,

Patrick
Last edited by CaptPatrick on Apr 29th, '08, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Good solution, Ole Fart...at least labs have a little sense, but Walker hounds had all the sense bred out of them, their family tree looks like a telephone pole.....on the other hand, they will chase a deer in chest deep water in a swamp for days on end. But they were left behind by Darwin - no social value at all, none. But shoot, our Loooooziana legislature finally made us the last US state to outlaw dog fighting as a sport, so took all the fun out of having Walker hounds and pit bulls. Just like they did outlawing cock fighting. That was a part of the Coonass culture that is now gone. KFC don't care, those chickens must just die of old age there.....a good cock fight is a lot of fun, betting on the side....I always liked the red roosters, they were mean suckers. But alas, we live in a different word now. Thank God we still have a Mean Team.

UV