The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

lets see some pics!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

This is the place for info....many of us have the same 6BTA Cummins....I have the 250s which are basically the same as the 270s and absolutely the best engines I have ever owned....dirt simple and bullet proof...few little tricks with them, like the raw water pumps, but there is a good solution for that. Join boatdiesel.com for $25 a year and its like having a fleet of experts on your payroll.

Congrats.....you did good.

UV
tippers

Post by tippers »

I think I know your boat is it called OWL?

This old tub has been seen up and down the bay here in Naples for many years.It needs a good wash and polish get your wife to do it.

As for the 6BTA`s yes they are great and bullitproof.

I have tried to stimulate interest in the current diesel v gas question and have concluded that base is the hours used in the season.I only boat for maybe 150 hours at the most.
So if this were the average then you can hardly justify diesel.It would be great to get some feedback on the hours per year/season,you can then calculate the cost gas diesel aquisition etc.
However having owned a 31 with 6bta`s I can understand the tank like feel it gives you.

I went to the local yard here in Naples where they had just installed a pair of the HO 385 HP little blocks which push a B28 upto 40Knts I also see and express on the B31 site for sale with little blocks that has over 1MPG consuption and I aslo know of another B31 gas big block that can run at 28MPH using 1.4 MPG.Thats as goos as the 6BTA and at half the cost.

Whats the use of the smelly old diesel u guys in the US don`t like the cars although the rest of the world uses them and get the benefit,especilly common rail.

By the way the latest Cummings marine $60K a pair is common rail as quiet as gas engine so that takes away the thud thud advantage.

So how many hours do u guys boat or do u all just surf?

Tippers
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

" B31 gas big block that can run at 28MPH using 1.4 MPG "
I'd like to hear more about this. What kind of transmissions does the boat have? How long has this boat been getting this kind of mileage?
A/K/A El Gaupo
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Yeah.....I'm going to have to call DoDo on that one.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Yeah, I'm calling bs on that one as well. A 454 burns about 14-16 gph at 3100-3200rpms no matter which boat its in. Also, the 8.1's don't do much better. At the same rpm they burn around 25 gph. These numbers are both right from flo-scans. On my 33, the best milage I ever saw out of my 454's was between .65-70 kmpg @ 18-19 knots. Conversely, my Cummins 6BTA's get around 1 kmpg @ 22-23 knots.
Regards,

Doug L.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

According to my Floscan I'm getting about 0.85 nmpg with 440 Chryslers cruising at 21knots.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
tippers

Post by tippers »

Hi guys the boats in question are both for sale in the B31 listings:

Boat.1
5.7 Cruising 3400RPM @25Knots @20GPH=KMPG 1.2

Boat.2
7.4 Throttle Body 1.5:1 low profile struts 2800/2900RPM @28MPH @20GPH=1.4MPG

Take out your fuel guzzling truck engines.

OR could this be a case for the advertising standards if thats what u call it in the USA.

Tippers

Tippers
nic

Post by nic »

KMPG...that would be knotical miles per

Nic
Hull No. 330 1963 SF "Tennessee"
tippers

Post by tippers »

Distructive comment.

Tippers
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

OK.... who are you, and what will it take to get you to go away.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Hey Mr. Goofy hat, it don't work that way. You been trying to get me to go , for, well since about the inseption of this second site/format...... Gotta get nasty...hummmmmmm that didn't work either. He'll either get bored, or maybe like the bow chock pirate, he just enjoys the pain.....
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

John,
Did I miss something or read wrong. You bought an express with diesels and are taking them out and putting them in a flybridge?
What happens to the express.
And no I already have one.
Thanks
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Nic, I think it might be the guys who audit the fuel economy results.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

There is no way a big block 454 is going to get that kind of fuel economy. I had a pair. At 3000 RPM's the best I could for speed was 19 knots, 25 GPH and at around 3300 the 4 barrels started to open and then watch out.

The 270 cummins are perfect for this boat.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Tippers... I think you need to get your wife to give you a wash and a polish...you craggety old coot.
Whats with with the negative comments about the country you claim to live in?...Yeah, because someone choose to exaggerate the fuel economy of their vessel to make it seem more appealing in a poor market- that is the way we ALL do it in the USA, we all learn that in kindergarten.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

tippers wrote:
I went to the local yard here in Naples where they had just installed a pair of the HO 385 HP little blocks which push a B28 upto 40Knts I also see and express on the B31 site for sale with little blocks that has over 1MPG consuption and I aslo know of another B31 gas big block that can run at 28MPH using 1.4 MPG.Thats as goos as the 6BTA and at half the cost.
I call BS and a Troll. In my opinion, "Tippers" knows nada about these boats or engines and is talking out his "arse" to get a reaction out of folks. Might even be a fake.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

thuddddddd wrote:Hey Mr. Goofy hat, it don't work that way. You been trying to get me to go , for, well since about the inseption of this second site/format...... Gotta get nasty...hummmmmmm that didn't work either. He'll either get bored, or maybe like the bow chock pirate, he just enjoys the pain.....
Last edited by Whaler1777 on Apr 29th, '08, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Carl

Post by Carl »

1.4mpg, yeah, I get that with my large blocks, but only when going downhill. I guess if you used the little blocks it would be even better but I find them too small for going uphill.

One trick to better milage is to shut one engine off when cruising slow or downhill.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

Please tell me youre effin around with me on this one....

huh
iam totaly lost now
Dug

Post by Dug »

Whaler,

That would be a reference to me...

Not you!

D
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

gotcha, my bad
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

sim wrote:1.4mpg, yeah, I get that with my large blocks, but only when going downhill. I guess if you used the little blocks it would be even better but I find them too small for going uphill.

One trick to better milage is to shut one engine off when cruising slow or downhill.

thats funny, but I'm still having trouble with the math, I pm oldstine and he hasn't got back to me

Yes Whaler, dug figured it out
Dug

Post by Dug »

Love ya Timmy... Love ya.
nic

Post by nic »

John,

Got a bit side-tracked here...you bought a diesel Express to get the engines to put in your Flybridge... one of the major costs of the repower we did, gas to diesels, was changing the running gear, exhausts, fuel systems etc...sort of a lot of "hidden" costs. I've got a spread-sheet somewhere detailing all the items and the costs associated if you would like to see it...or...maybe not, it is depressing reading, up to you.

I take it that you are going to swap everything out of the diesel boat (the express) into the flybridge....like a heart/lung transplant from the donor boat....this is the first time I've heard of this approach, I think I like it! You will find that everything comes apart beautifully and almost all fittings can be re-used.

Are you going to put the gas engines into the Express before you sell her?

Please let us know how it goes, lots of pics and all...I sense a legend in the making.

Nic
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

nic wrote:John,

Got a bit side-tracked here...you bought a diesel Express to get the engines to put in your Flybridge... one of the major costs of the repower we did, gas to diesels, was changing the running gear, exhausts, fuel systems etc...sort of a lot of "hidden" costs. I've got a spread-sheet somewhere detailing all the items and the costs associated if you would like to see it...or...maybe not, it is depressing reading, up to you.

I take it that you are going to swap everything out of the diesel boat (the express) into the flybridge....like a heart/lung transplant from the donor boat....this is the first time I've heard of this approach, I think I like it!

Are you going to put the gas engines into the Express before you sell her?

Please let us know how it goes, lots of pics and all...I sense a legend in the making.

Nic
Interesting idea Nic. I never thought of that, but if it can be done cheaply enough why not?
nic

Post by nic »

John is on to something here. Put the two boats side by side...crane in the middle...flush both tanks at the one time...adjust engine beds like for like...same for the stern tubes...re-position the shaft brackets...swap everything over...add sound-proofing to the diesel Flybridge...adjust the props for the weight difference both ways...eBay the gas Express...you are up for the labour (sweat equity), the sound-proofing, the prop adjustment and the discount on the Express. Anything else?

Another thing saved will be endless, and I mean endless, trips to the chandler...you have the (2nd hand) chandlery alongside.

Nic
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

I've got a spread-sheet somewhere detailing all the items and the costs associated if you would like to see it...
Nic,

I'd like a copy if you're of a mind to send it...

Br,

Patrick
nic

Post by nic »

Okey-doke...I'll tidy it up first for the Head Teacher!

Nic
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Thanks, Mate...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Capt. Pat & Nic

That sheet should be kept a secret. If we all knew exactly what we were in for all of these boats would be sitting on the junk heap.

Lets see I now need what for what cost? Better I find out as I move along.

In fact, better the wife never knows.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

That sheet should be kept a secret.
That's exactly what it'll be for me: A secret...... weapon ...... For getting the next owner of a B31 to have a mild stroke when coming to me to have his boat fully gutted & customized. If he won't take "NO" for an answer, maybe shock therapy will work... I'm retired, at least from that phase, after this one's done.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

CaptPatrick wrote:... I'm retired, at least from that phase, after this one's done.
That's what he thought too Capt Patrick...

That sheet may not be enough.
Harv

Post by Harv »

CaptPatrick wrote:I'm retired, at least from that phase, after this one's done.
Didn't you say that after the last one??
Harv
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Didn't you say that after the last one??
Yup, just like I did on three wives... Third ones stick!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The boat is a disease. Anyone want to start a pool to see when Patrick takes on the next job.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Count me in, Over Under as well?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Third ones stick!
Divorces that is.... & there won't be a fourth one... of either evil