Cleaning an original cabin

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

davidms

Cleaning an original cabin

Post by davidms »

I have the original cabin in my boat. After doing a spring cleaning, I noticed that all of the formica surfaces have gotten dull and tired looking. Is there anything that I can do to make the interior more presentable?

David S
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I recommend purchasing a can of "Liquid Gold" from your Hardware or supermarket. Made by Scott's and called a wood cleaner and preservative. Usually on the shelf with products like Endust or Pledge. Comes in spray and liquid form. I use the spray. Spray it on and wipe. Immediately looks better. You'll want to keep a can on board as you'll want to hit the surfaces a few times a season. Only takes a few minutes. Some use a product from a paint store called Penetrol. It is an oil based product that has to be given a bit of time to dry. Walter
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Penetrol!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Scott's Liquid Gold, been using it for 30 years. Use it on the exterior brown Formica bulkhead if yours still has it, also works great on teak trim.
davidms

Post by davidms »

Thanks for the advice. Not a great boating day up here today, so...
off to the hardware store and time to scrub.

Thanks again,

David S
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I've used Penetrol and Liquid Gold and prefer Liquid Gold. It brightens up the formica counter tops and paneling and has a pleasing scent.

Penetrol's a little tricky. It is a paint conditioner that you wipe on. It penetrates and reacts with the formica. Then you need to wipe it off promptly or it gets gummy and difficult to remove. The results however are more lasting.

My preference is regular applications of LG.
davidms

Post by davidms »

OK, so now the original formica looks spiffy thanks to your suggestions and my elbow grease. Now what do I do about the corroded handles, pulls and other handware?

By the way, has anybody raised the ceiling in their cabin? I popped my head up into the space between the liner and the bottom of the flybridge. There is lots of room up there! What is the best way to utilize that space?

Thanks,

David S
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

davidms wrote: By the way, has anybody raised the ceiling in their cabin? I popped my head up into the space between the liner and the bottom of the flybridge. There is lots of room up there! What is the best way to utilize that space?

Thanks,

David S
Carl at Elite has a great insert that opens all that space up. I'm sure Capt Pat would know who else would have one as well.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I put a hatch in my overhead and built a large shelf up under the flybridge. i doubled the stringers and laid down plywood. it is strong enough that a friend of mine (with a smaller girth) can get up in there and work. It is s great place for installing remote electronics and storing bulky items. i even put a light up in there!

As for the chrome, my secret weapon is Marine Clean by POR15. You put it on straight and rub the chrome with fine bronze wool. A couple of rubs and even the worst corrosion wipes right off. You then have to wash it well and put Corrosion X on it or it will promptly corrode again. It may not look as good as rechromed, but it is a lot cheaper!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

rawleigh
where do you get this marine clean por15 i would like to give it a try
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

This is my best kept secret! I discovered this use for it last year. Put it in a spray bottle straight and spray it on the chrome. Rub with FINE bronze wool and wipe off! Very easy. I did my very corroded engine turned dash with it and it now looks presentable! I was thinking about repackaging it for resale because it works so easily!! Just be sure to wash it off and wax or corrosionx it as the strong alkalinity of the cleaner will corrode the metal again promptly if you don't.

This stuff is the best all around cleaner I have ever found. POR15 uses it as a prep for their primer! The surfaces will come out squeaky clean!

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=MC&dept=2
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thanks
rawleigh, ill give it a try