Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

Any of you guys feel this?

Post by Bruce »

Strong earthquake shakes Gulf of Mexico; no damage reported
By PHIL DAVIS
Associated Press Writer

TAMPA, Fla. — A strong magnitude 6.0 earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico on Sunday sent shockwaves from Louisiana to southwest Florida, but no damage was reported, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The earthquake, centered about 260 miles southwest of Tampa, was too small to trigger tsunami danger, the agency said. The USGS received almost 1,500 reports from people as far away as North Carolina who felt the 10:56 a.m. temblor.

"This is a fairly unique event. There is no danger," said Don Blakeman, an earthquake analyst with the National Earthquake Information Center. "I wouldn't expect any substantial damage, but it is possible there will be some minor damage."

Florida counties along the gulf called the state emergency operations center with reports of tremors, but no significant damage was reported, spokesman Mike Stone said. Gov. Jeb Bush was informed of the situation, Stone said.

Although the earthquake was classified as unusually strong, it was not powerful enough to generate a tsunami or other dangerous wave activity, Blakeman said.

The epicenter is an unusual location for earthquake activity, but scientists recorded a magnitude 5.2 temblor in the same location on Feb. 10.

"Technically, it's not Florida," Blakeman said. "It's out in the Gulf of Mexico. This kind of occurrence is unusual in that spot, especially for an earthquake of this size."

The most prevalent vibration, which last for about 20 seconds, was felt on the gulf coast of Florida and in southern Georgia, Blakeman said. But residents in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana also called in reports.

___
ScottD

Earthquake

Post by ScottD »

I didn't feel a thing, good thing there was no sunami, I would have been washed away before I knew what happened. I wonder if insurance would cover that?

ScottD
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

We felt it in Cape Coral. It felt like someone jiggling you chair. I was on the boat acrubbing the rain stains off and washing her down after an early morning run out to the river for coffee. My step son came out of the house and down to the dock to tell me he thought I was in there tugging on the couch and he looked around and no one was there. Minutes later, the ticker tape at the bottom of the screen told him what happened. I just felt the dock move a little and I thought I knew what it was. I was in the 1964 Alaska earthquake. It seems like only yesterday, so a little one like this even brings back those memories.

Probably all that oil out there was moving around.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

I did not notice a thing here in Ft. Myers Beach 26.4 Degrees North. I was in Church then or enroute. Nothing noticed here. I'm glad I was not out there this weekend as I was 114 miles due west of Ft. Myers Beach or about 125 miles or so from the epicenter last weekend Bruce. I burned $862 worth of Diesel! We trolled for Tuna and got 4 nice Blackfins. Biggest one was 28 Lbs. there was a bad thermocline at Christmas Ridge so bottom fishing yielded almost nothing. Didn't effect the Pelegics though. Lots and lots of Bonito and Cudas. No Marlin this time. Tuna were hitting mostly on the way back in at 165 feet. Had a double at one point trolling 6 lines from 6 penn International's (not mine) with all Mamoi line and identical rods. I used 400# Mamoi on my outriggers (Lee Sr.'s). I'm just glad I wasn' there this weekend that's all I got to say. Bad enough thet we woke up 2.4 miles from our anchored spot with the thunder storms and 7-8 foot seas. 2-1 rode don't hold too well in those kind of seas. Anchoring in 280 feet will do that. Last time I held on a dime.
Dave K
Keep Fishing...