New Exhaust project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bulletproof

New Exhaust project

Post by Bulletproof »

Hey gang, I'm back. Spring is here, divorce is eminant and it looks like I keep the boat. I don't know if that's a good thing or not but I'm starting work again next weekend. I took someone's advice and just let it sit all winter and enjoyed many things.

My first project is going to be the exhaust. It's going to be tight so I'm looking for advice on elbows and flexible exhaust products. My 8.1's make it tight gettting down under the bulkhead.

How do I attach pictures? I'd love to put a couple on here for other skilled eyes to advise.
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Paul,
I find making exhaust out of fiberglass pipe gives me hugh option over hose and pre formed hose. While hose connections are needed I keep them to 6" connectors.

This allows me to build turns and directions to anything I want, gets me around obstacles and makes for a clean install.

On the last 31 I did with the Volvos, exhaust was to the center of the boat. Typical run would have been a 90 over the gear box with minimal access. Volvo also wanted 14" above water line to turbo outlet.

Solution was to come straight down back thru the new divinicell bulkhead into a 45 to the outside and another 45 into a surge tube.

This left the area above the gear box wide open and was very clean.

I have come to appreciate what neat things you can do with fiberglass.

Sorta goes back to the first race car I built. Put together then tore down to go to paint.
I built an engine for a body shop guy to trade for the paint job. When I delivered the car to the paint shop in Moorestown NJ, on the wall was a hugh fiberglass replica of genetalia.
Harv

Re: New Exhaust project

Post by Harv »

Bulletproof wrote:
How do I attach pictures? I'd love to put a couple on here for other skilled eyes to advise.
Paul,

Check the sticky thread......"links and images".
You will need to setup an album at photobucket, snapfish, or some other image hosting website. I like photobucket......very easy to download and share images and videos from the site.
Harv
Dug

Post by Dug »

Paul,

If you need fiberglass pipe, I still have a length in like new condition from my repower. 4-5" I think. I can check later today. It is in Worcester. I can make you a hell of a deal!

It is the right way to go for sure...

Dug